saggy backs

dianne

Is it the weather? or what? the last two quilts on the frame have had saggy backs - the only difference was the backing was the extra wide fabric - no seams. They seemed squared up before going on the frame and I didn't free float the top. Would free floating solve the problem???

one rain soaked vancouverite!

Hi Diane--pin the leaders together and roll then back and forth. That will give you a hint if they are stretched.

As for saggy backers--always square them by tearing the WOF. Then attach this straight edge to the leaders. If you want to attach the selvedge edges to the leaders, tear off the selvedges before attaching. I leave the selvedges on, but pin above the tighter weave of the edges into regular fabric. I pin about an inch inside the selvedge. Extra wide (108") backers are more prone to sagging simply because of the large expanse from side to side. Square up the backer, load carefully, roll from edge to edge several times to distribute any extra sagging, and clamp the backer carefully. Check for sagging with each advance. If you have an isolated saggy area, stuffing a piece if batting under the front roller (the one you attached the backer to) from the underside. This will flatten the saggy spot and allow you to quilt it. Remove the piece of batting before you advance--otherwise it looks like you rolled the cat up in the quilt! Good luck and have fun!

From a soggy Washingtonian!

I use the 108" wide backs all the time. Linda's advice above is exactly what I do, make sure you have a square edge to pin on and I roll the backing backwards and forward until the fabric is evenly distributed. Works great every time. I love using the 108" wide backs..., plus all my clients really appreciate not having to piece their backings!

Dianne,

When loading my backs I always roll the backer onto the take-up roller first and then onto the backing bar. I will roll back and forth if I need to get it straight. I rarely ever have any sagging (at least for my quilt backers) using this method. Another thing that helps is to load it with the lengthwise grain on the leaders (salvage edges) which has little to no stretch.

You can also tighten and loosen up the back if it is sagging a little in different areas. Grip the backing on the backing roller with your thumb on top and fingers underneath, and twist the fabric tighter (down towards the floor) in the loose spots and looser (towards the pickup roller) in the tight spots. This is especially prevalent when you have a pieced back and the seam runs perpendicular to the roller, because of all the buildup of seam allowances.

Julia

• 1 month later...

good morning ladies just wanted to add a little somethine on the backs i have a closet pole that when i go to load my backing i toss this closet pole into the center it gives just a little bit of weight to the fabric as i begin to roll on to my leaders. it gives it just a small amount of taughtness and helps it to load for me it seems to keep from haveing wrinkles as i roll onto the bars. i had a long pole from the store one day and i just tossed it into the center of the backing to see what happened. it keeps a small amount of tension on the backing so you can smooth as you roll.

have a great day.

merry

Guest Linda S

I always had problems with this until I loaded the backing onto the backing roller, then attached it to the take up roller, rolled it all onto the take up roller and then back down onto the backing roller. Seems to work wonders for eliminating the sag. I do this with every quilt I load now.

Linda

Joann, I do the same thing. I have sagging backs occassionaly but I think it is due to stretched leaders. I don't let it bother me because when I pin, it goes away. Just make sure you remove the pins before advancing the quilt top. I don't float my top. Have not had much success with that methos.

I hope this will help but it also depends on the type of machine and how it rolls.

This is what I do. I have a Gammill. I take the selvage off, then I pin to the back roller leader(toward the back of machine) I then roll the backing all on that roller.

If you look at the rolled backing, you can see the center usually is pulled up in roller a little and will look not straight. I sometimes push down in center to make it come out from roller as rolling. Then I pin to front roller. I put little tension on the back roller with one hand and roll all backing to the front roller. This helps to straighten out the backing. I look for threads and lint on the backing as I roll. I usually float the top and batting. I hope this is clear as mud. If not email me and I will try to help ya.

I think ManQuilter hit the nail on the head. Even if you have your take-up canvas marked in the exact center your quilt might not be straight if attached at that mark. This sometimes happens because you attach the backing to the backing roller and may not roll it on straight, throwing off the center of the fabric. I know that I'm probably a little confusing, Matt explains it better on his video (loading your quilt). I used his method and now all my backings are nice and straight and tight. www.manquilter.com (live feed). Oh, I also roll it back and forth a couple times like Heidi recommended.

I have just been reading the posts pertaining to saggy backing, whew!!! glad to know it is not just me. So much good advice. Right now I have a 108" backing on the frame and it is sagging on the left side only...I thought it might be due to the fact that I steamed the wrinkles out. I will give the rolling back and forth a try before I put my top on. Thank you for all the advice.

Archived