pantographs, need HELP!

Yesterday I decided to do my first pantograph. I practiced all day and needless to say I was not better at the end of the day than when I started. I was practicing with the Whirlpool pattern and thought it looked simple enough (that was before I started practicing). This morning when I went back to the machine I thought maybe I should do something else with this quilt. But I won't give up, I have to start on pantos at some point and it may as well be now! Any suggestions or secrets from some of you experienced quilters would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Crafttlady

One huge tip that helped me....

Don't look right at the laser, look ahead where you are going to be quilting. It was explained to me that when you are driving you don't look at the nose of the car but on the road ahead of you. Hope this helps!

Sandra

I put tape over the end of the laser and put a pin hole in the tape, this helped me. Also, I hold the left handle with two hands and drive it that way. Using my body more than justs my arms helps keep me steady.

Worth a try, but PPP is the best!

Joanne

I just looked up the whirlpool panto to see what it looked like, and I can see where it would be difficult. Anything with long curvy lines will be more difficult to do smoothly than something with shorter curves, especially if you are just beginning. Try something with shorter curves, e.g., Daisy Swirl or something like that. I don't mean a dense panto with lots of tiny curves and turns, but something that is more open but whose curves are maybe a little shorter and less flowing. They will be easier to do well rather than something with big circles and long gentle curves. Just because you are just "following the lines" with a panto doesn't mean they are easy to do!

Do not get discouraged if you veer off the lines; if you do get off the lines try to gently return to keep the lines smooth as you can. Do the best you can, and the more you do it, the better you will get. It will not happen overnight. Don't hold the handles too tight and relax. Some people put on music which helps them. Some people hold only one handle or put both hands on one handle. I have to have my hands on both handles, but you could try varying it to see if you are more comfy that way. Most importantly, the more you do it, the better you will get. Aim for perfection, but don't be disappointed when you don't get it. You WILL get better if you keep at it!

I do best when I center my body on both legs - because to

my thinking, quilting with a panto is like dancing at the back

of your machine.

I have to make an effort to breath - I tend to hold my

breathe thinking the mere act of breathing will take me "off

the line". When actually, relaxed breathing keeps your arms

and shoulders relaxed. It is easy to tense up and get stiff.

Relax.

My first panto was a fright-show, lots of jiggling and

jerking to get it back on the line rather than smoothly

correcting my course. It takes time and practice.

One other thing to remember - you don't have to stay exactly on the line. If you waver a little it won't show on the quilt. That is not to say you can get crazy, and really go off the line. But don't be hard on yourself if you go off the line some. I am right handed so I stand on the left side of my machine, hold onto the left handle with my right hand, hold onto the back take-up roller with my left hand (not gripping just balancing), then I just walk as I stitch. Hope this makes sense.

Good luck,

Mary Beth

the looking ahead technique is hard to master, but really worth it. Focus your eye on the end of the line you are stitching, that "point" where the line stops and the next one starts. I actually even talk to myself and say the word "point" so my brain will look for that point and focus on it.

I agree on the shorter curved lines to start with.

Sara

What helped me when I did my first panto was that the months leading up to getting my long arm I was doing a paper doll applique quilt, there was a lot of tracing over lines etc... which is basically what you are doing when you are doing pantos. You trace over the line of the pantos with a lazer dot instead of a pencil. Like they said in the other posts you don't have to stay perfectly on the lines of the patterns since the designers have allowed some fudging in their designs. Some easy designs that you may want to try out first are...Ink Blot, Daisy Swirl, & Sprung, all of which you can purchase at www.willowleafstudios.com

Also holding on to the left handle with your right hand and holding onto the take up roller with your left hand is the best way to learn pantos quickly...I also tend to keep my upper right arm somewhat close to my body when working the pattern...helps keep your movements more in control and steady.

Good luck!

Joann

Archived