I'm counting to 10, then I'm throwing my iron out the window!

You know, it really takes a lot to get me steamed, but my Rowenta iron has decided to leak, and leak, and leak! It's been doing it for about a month and has totally stained my ironing pad, soak my quilt, wet my hand, ticked me off, ticked me off, ticked me off!!!! :mad:

My mother has had the same iron for about 40 years -- not a problem! I spend $$$$ on a Rowenta and 2 years later it needs a diaper! :o

Okay, my friends, do you have a favourite iron that you would recommend?? I just happen to be in the market!!!

Still steaming.........Linda

Linda.

If you go into the search area of this forum and search over the last year for irons you will find quite a number of threads. Ricky Tims refers to steam irons as incontinent irons! The only Rowenta iron that I have any success with is my small travel iron and I know better than to put water in it.

Sue

I have a 'Star' iron. One of those for small tailor shops that has a bag that hangs from the ceiling for water. My husband calls it my iv drip. I LOVE it,, It is small, heavy, and only shoots steam when needed and therefore never has water sitting in it, which causes most problems. I had many irons before that always broke. I've had this iron for about 7 years and it still gets as hot as he!! It was about $200 back then and worth every penny.

Guest Linda S

Linda - does your Rowenta have a flush feature that allows you to clean it? Have you ever used that feature? I've flushed my iron about once a month ever since I got it. It's a Rowenta Professional and I got it for my 50th birthday. I'm 55 now, and it still works wonderfully.

Linda

I use to sell Rowenta Irons in my shop and had them in my classroom. Love them when they are new but had nothing but problems with them. Needless to say I no longer sell them.

Like Caroline, I not have a Star both in my classroom and at home and love it. The local high school fashion studies lab has had one for 20 years and the teacher also has one at home and loves her's too.

Linda: I feel your pain as I've been down that road. I'm on my third Rowenta steam generator. The first one was wonderful (made in the US). I believe they now make them in China and my last two have been nothing but trouble. The third one went out before the warranty was up so I contacted Rowenta. They made me send it to a service center and I know for a fact the iron I got back was not mine. They agreed to replace it but made me send it to them before they would send me a new one. To make a long story short I ended up reporting them to the Better Business Bureau and finally got my new iron shipped to me with a Saturday delivery. One thing I can tell you is that if you over fill the Rowenta irons they will leak. I also make sure I use "Spring" water. With spring water there aren't any added chemicals. Good luck. :mad:

I have a Rowenta and had not had any trouble until a few days ago I switched it to dry for fusible applique and it still steamed. My friend got the same iron when I did and hers leaked and she got a different one Sunbeam I think she's not happy with it either. Also I went to quilting ministry this morning and the Rowenta there (newer than mine) would not work, the dial didn't want to turn and it would not heat up. So thanks for the question I'll be looking for a new one also!

I have an Oliso and love it. It has really helped with an ailing Rotator Cuff. I had it for about a year now and so far so good. We'll see. The only thing I don't like is the auto turn off.

I also have a B & D Classic and like it very much but it is hard on the shoulder.

I, too, had a couple of Rowentas before getting fed up with them. Never again.

The problem with you girls' Rowenta irons is that you bought them new and paid full price. That is always a plan for disaster. I bought mine at Big Lots for fractions of $$$ and they were re-furbished meaning someone else had taken them back because they leaked! (;)) I bought 4 and gave one to Mother and another to my Daughter. None has failed and they are about 5 years old.

Well, thank you so much everyone for your thoughts on irons. I really appreciate it. I have babied this Rowenta iron and it still gives me trouble. I'm done, it's too frustrating. I'm going to look into some that you've all recommended.

I'm not as steamed :P today. Going shopping tomorrow, as long as the storm they forecast doesn't hit us. Oh, well, if it does I'll just stay home and stitch and enjoy this forum.

Thanks again...........Linda :)

Hi Linda,

I understand your frustration. I've gone though by share of irons since I started quilting.

Underline "started quilting". I never replaced irons before that. My first iron was a wedding gift and lasted for decades.

Since I took up this hobby of quilting I've had various brands from the auto off/on, and non auto, expensive, inexpensive. Used tap water, didn't use tap water. Purchased Spring water, distilled water. No matter.

I truly feel it is an exceptional iron that lasts me more than 5 yrs. as a Quilter.

I don't know what the life span of a domestic iron is---but, I figure I'm using mine on average twice--maybe triple what is considered "normal usage". So, therefore, I have shortened the "life span" of the iron just because I'm using it all the time---beyond what a "normal" person who does not quilt would.

That said---of all the irons I have loved (is that a song, like of all the Women I have Loved)---

:)

Rowenta's are still my Favorite iron. Other irons have tried to duplicate Rowenta's sole plate, feeling of the handle, steaming, weight, soleplate pointy tip, etc. But, haven't.

I gave up on Rowentas for awhile myself, but last year I thought, maybe they have got the message, and are back to making better irons again (I know for awhile quilters were just not buying Rowentas anymore).

So, I bought another Rowenta, and it's been working out fine. It's the

Rowenta "Advancer" model. Made in Germany. 1800 watts. It is a heavier iron, but that is what i personally like so that i don't have to use my arm to add extra "push down" on the fabric as I press.

I used my Bed, Bath & Beyond coupon to buy it. I've had it for a year with no problems. If you like Rowentas, you might consider this one.

Angie, you're right, I do like my Rowenta, until it started leaking so badly. As you said, "sole plate, feeling of the handle, steaming, weight, soleplate pointy tip, etc." I am a little worried to purchase another one and have the same problem. I will check out the "Advancer" model though and see how much it is up here in Canada...or even if it's available here.

I agree, my iron is on the go a great deal of the time, much more than a person who is using their iron for just "domestic" use, which is really why I purchased the Rowenta to start with and spent the $$$ thinking it was an iron suited to the rigors of a quilter's use.

I plan to check out all the suggestions I've received here and I'll let you all know what I get.

Thanks for taking the time to give me your suggestions and thoughts.

Linda,

I have had the same problem.........twice! The store replaced it after my Rowenta Power Due started leaking after only having it for 2 months. The store clerk commented that they had to replace several recently for other customers for the same reason. Well the new one that I got didn't even last for 5 months. I've been using it for the past 3 months without steam and have not been happy with it. My husband recently asked me for some birthday ideas and I said I would love a new "steam" iron. So I have been looking at some at my favorite quilt shop and trying them out there and have decided on one they sell. It is a Reliable brand and the model is called Digital Velocity V100. It is a nice, heavy iron and gives you lots of steam and really does a nice job.

The shop owner told me that they stopped selling Rowentas about 2 years ago because the company had originally been in Germany and the irons were great, but they sold their business to a company in Taiwan and since then the leaking problems have been very prevalent. This probably explains why the gals that have the older Rowentas are still having good luck with them.

Good luck on your search!

I have a Rowenta that leeks also.. Spits, hard to fill, blah, blah, blah!! I HATE IT!! BUT, I heard you have to use tap water, not distilled in it, and that did solve some of the problem. I'm still not happy with it. Still hate the ^%$* thing!!:mad:

My friend has a Reliable Iron and it was $180. That's a lot, but it might be worth it. Mark Lipinski swears by them, as does another longarmer in our area.

Good luck, just remember not to try and throw it out a basement window. We tried that with a computer once. Didn't work too well, and we got NO satisfaction from it!!!!:P:P:P

Archived