I've been wondering what kind of music everyone listens to while quilting. I like 60's and 70's classic rock for everyday, but that just doesn't seem to cut it when I'm quilting. Not very relaxing. Any suggestions?? I have dish network and have the sirrius channels if that helps. Wish my Mother were here. She was the one with the musical talents.

Sheryl

I like all sorts of music from heavy metal to classical and everything in between. However, I find it difficult to "be creative" while listening to heavy metal. It requires too much concentration; I tend to focus more on the music, not the quilting HA!! :P So most times, I listen to 60's 70's an 80's classic rock n roll. I also love to listen to big band/swing or even orchestra, classical when quilting. Anything that has a nice melody; not too hard and heavy. I love music! That said, if you are just starting out quilting, I think it's best to not listen to anything except your longarm machine. Especially the first few months because your machine will start to make funny noises (clues) when there is something "wrong" and usually it's tension. So, I advise all newbies to just listen to their machines until they're confident with their tension and their machine. Ask me why I know this??? :)

Sirius Watercolor Smooth Jazz (6071 on Dish) - as much as possible. If I sang along to music while quilting (or started shaking the booty) - oooooooh - sure wouldn't want to see the quilting I'd do!

But take Shana's advice and learn the sounds of your machine before listening to music or the T.V.

I'm like Shana, I love all kinds of music except maybe rap - some is ok maybe but I haven't found it yet! Love instrumental lite jazz as I don't know any words to go with it and I can concentrate on the quilting.;)

When I'm not quilting, I'm listening to 40's, 50's, 60's - really love big band sound. :)

i like instrumentals. mostly jazz or classical. i find that if there are words to sing along to, i start singing and it ruins my momentum. but i'm a newbie and not very good at guiding lola yet. hopefully it will change when i get better cause i do like to sing - and i have to do it when i'm alone since i sound like a dying animal. quilting is the perfect time!

Just Depends on what I'm quilting!!!

Metal, Rap, 80's, New Age, Country, Grunge, Alternative, Hip Hop, Liquid Metal,Club beat, Oldies,....

You name it, I listen to it.

Found some really good stuff at a gift shop.

It is Scientifically engineered. Called "The power of positive thinking".

It's light instumental and really relaxing.

It's great background music and I play it while teaching classes.

The students always comment about the music and how they really lt.

I also use a CD called " The Art of Concentration"

I focus right in to the piece I'm working on and the quilting just seems to flow.

Find what works for you. Everyone is differant.

Laura

I'm a heavy metal kinda girl although I like all kinds of music. However, while I am quilting, hard rock is to distracting. It's too difficult to bang my head and make pretty feathers at the same time;) :D I love to listen to Pink. She is awesome. I also have Jan Arden's new album as well as John Mayer. Eric Clapton's album he did with B.B. King is really good too. They are really easy to listen to while being creative.

Jazz is too offbeat as is heavy metal and Rap. Love the good old rock and roll oldies, like John Tesh and Yanni...but country is my favorite. Love Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Eric Clapton, Creedence...Sugarland, Lady Antebellum, Toby Keith, Trace Atkins, Martina McBride...I could go on and on. I can really groove to country..and I don't like it twangy. Country is now what rock and roll was when I was growing up. I have converted my DH...he likes it too. We just love music!

Marilyn

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Oh, and empty cones of thread make great microphones :D

you always make me smile MaryBeth!

and Michael Buble is my latest favorite... love that smooth velvety voice! too many other favorites to list..... everything from Alan Jackson to Van Morrison...just depends on my mood!

I like different sorts of music, but I listen mostly to light classical or Christian music, with a splash of opera too, like Il Divo. I tend to listen mostly in the morning , then in the afternoon, I will often put a DVD on my little portable DVD player and play that. Even though I don't actually watch it, it's like a talking book. Especially soothing if its a much loved DVD ! I can play some over and over - anything to do with Jane Austen! I think I know the script to 'Pride and Prejudice."

Talking of DVD's, I was watching Claudia Pfeil's DVD recently and I was trying to work out how she was doing one of her feathers, I felt like I couldn't quite work out 'the route' - so I turned the DVD player upside down ( remember it is a small portable thing - just don't try it with your big one!) This worked! I have to confess I'm one of those women who turn their map books upside down too in the car! Must be a right/left brain thing. Anyway, I was able to 'see' the feathers forming much better, albeit upside down! (BTW, great DVD , Claudia, learned heaps.)

Thanks,

Shelley

Archived