???Online Feathers Class at MQResource???

meg

hi ladies and gents -

i am wondering if anyone has tried the online classes they have at mqresource?

if so, what do you think?

im thinking of signing up for suzanne earley's feathers bootcamp.

it's about $70. and i hate to spend it if it's not gonna do me any good. i would love to have nice feathers like you all do.

any thoughts? or experiences?

i appreciate you all and your expertise..i really do.

meg

I did take Suzanne's class and also have Kim's DVD. Neither were a waste of money. The DVD is great and the class is great. Kim's DVD is wonderful because she covers so much and does all her stitch outs right there in front of you - gives you a sense of the rhythm as well as shape. Suzanne's class is wonderful because she starts from the very beginning about shape - what is good and bad, drawing, ppp'ing, etc. I loved both and each had it's own benefits - between the 2, my feathers have definitely improved!!!!

Hi Meg - I took Suzanne's class a few months ago and it was great.

That class was for formal, hump-bump, fancy (whatever you call them) feathers. She provides written lessons in pdf format for the students to download and use as reference later. In the classroom videos, she takes you thru the mechanics of making a good feather and the sequence (ie both sides or one side at a time). There is a gallery set up for you to post your photos so she can help you identify problem areas. We started by drawing. A lot of mine looked like potato chips but I got better. Then we progressed to quilting them.

You are able to go back to the video classroom and view them for 6 months or so.

It was worth every nickel.

Hi Meg

I also took Suzanne's feather class and really enjoyed it. I have also taken Deb Levy's classes and they are really great too.

If you are a Premier member which costs $27.95 for the year you will get 20% of the cost of the class. Suzanne has a coupon code on the forum.

Also if you are a Premier member there are great videos posted monthly, most done by Deb Levy, which are a great resource.

Mind sometimes I think I spend too much time watching videos instead of PPPing.

I also have Kims Twirly Whirly feathers DVD and that is fantastic. Kim has a great way of teaching. Not rushed and very calming.

Coleen, after reading your post I went to Kimmy Brunner's site and ordered her feathers and beginning longarn dvd's. I don't know why I am so determined to learn to use millie. My husband is doing a great job and I am having fun piecing but I still want to learn. Hope it helps!

In response to Angie's remarks about the 'Quilt Whisperer' class. I have taken 4 of the classes over on MQR and the 'Quilt Whisperer' class was definitely the least organized of those that I have taken. I took the first one, but I understand there was a second. With the first class I was able to keep up with all the comments and postings. Due to students not always posting according to week/topic it did get a bit confusing at times, but mostly the students were respectful of keeping things together. As to the other classes, the postings were much easier to follow from week to week. As a newer (not a newbie) quilter the 2 classes that have helped me the most are Deb Levy's class on custom quilting (fabulous class!!!!!) and Suzanne's feather class. I also took Adam's Wholecloth class and learned a lot - just haven't made the quilt I designed in the class.......... (will have to do that one of these days). The Quilt Whisperer class was great because people came up with so many ideas about how to quilt the same quilts and Carla gave us hints about our own designing if we were having problems. My designing skills are the most creative yet (getting better) and so it was great seeing so many ideas from others who have quilted for a long time.

To add a bit about the classes. Generally new info (handouts to download) and videos are posted on Monday Mornings. It helps to make a point of getting your downloads printed right away - gives you an overview of the weeks activities. It also helps to put the threads in your favorites (in the case of MQR - "Track this Topic") so that you can go back to the posts easier and you will be notified of all the new posts.

well, i decided to get kimmies feathers dvd. this way i always have them for a reference and can move at my own pace without waiting for more info to be posted or feeling rushed to keep up. plus, when i was there, i also ordered the beginning dvd - i bet this helps me ALOT. all that for only $85. one of these days i may actually get the courage to load another top and try again!

THANKS YOU ALL FOR THE ADVICE - I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR SHARING YOUR EXPERTISE WITH ME!!!!!:)

I wanted to comment on this subject. I have the DVD mentioned (and many others) and have taken the most recent Quilt Whispering class. I will be taking the feathering class as well. I loved the Quilt Whispering class, and learned a tremendous amount! In general, instructional DVD's are good for general information, but they cannot offer the personalized feedback and help. (If I mastered everything from the DVD's, I wouldn't need a class!) Like any class, if I didn't participate fully, I would've missed out on some important concepts and feedback. You get out what you put in...true for any educational opportunity.

The Quilt Whispering class was very well organized. My experience was that it was easy to ask questions and I received immediate responses/help. (Including the uploading - new to me, and easy.) For the class, it was very helpful to be able to submit my own lesson homework/items for feedback - and the feedback was directed at me and my skill set, not at a general audience, though we all learned from each others' as well. It's help exactly where you need it the most. I had no problems keeping up with, or going with, the flow. (And I had a flood in my house 2 days after the class started, but still managed to keep up even though my studio was totally torn apart, dried and is being reassembled now. Awful timing!) I actually appreciated the organization, and didn't find it difficult to follow the threads. (Lessons were under heading 'Classroom'. Homework, questions and feedback were under heading of 'Discussion' where each assignment had it's own topic/thread (i.e., Classroom 'Lesson 1' corresponded to Discussion 'Creative Exercise 1A', 'Creative Exercise 1B', etc. Each lesson told you where to post or follow up at.) To me, it was as easy as this board and the same as anywhere. I enjoyed having the homework, feedback, and submitted items in the same topic that it related to. Made it very simple to follow the conversation and to learn from everyone. One student got a tad confused, and made additional 'topics', but quickly caught on. :) Anyone who had any problems following, need only to have asked for help.

I have been a member of MQR for years, and think that taking on a new method of education is full of issues/challenges. They are industry leaders. I know Suzanne is always open to any and all constructive feedback, and I have given it in the past with a sincere thank you in return. That's always nice :)

Having said all that, teaching on line is so new, that no matter where you take an online classes, this is a cutting edge experience for all. People are still learning and growing into it, and it's not perfect yet. That includes students, teachers, site owners and support staff. Personally, I adore the concept, and find it more economical than the $400-800 I spend each yr in Houston for classes. I actually get the same, if not more, individual attention online, than in live classes. So far, anyway :) I do have many DVD's and find some of them much better than others. By the time you pay for them, plus S&H, they aren't cheap. I've had ones that were highly recommended that weren't worth the printing on the sleeve! (Want to buy 'em????) And others that are very good. It's hard to be perfect in any instructional method.

While different people learn differently, online instruction is perhaps something worth getting used to for the future...I suspect we'll see more and more of this type of opportunity all over the web. It will continue to evolve and get better, I'm sure. I think it's important to offer constructive feedback.

Just my experiences and feedback...

Debbie in Austin

Hi everyone,

I'd just like to second the words and wisdom of Debbie in Austin,

I also took the first 'Quilt whisperer Class', I enjoyed every minute of it!!!

I found the class format very easy to follow, if you needed help at all you only needed to ask and within minutes one of the Tutors/ Administrators or indeed students would offer help and support!!!

The class was taken by quilters of various skill levels, you could participate in any or all activities! I'm a fairly new quilter and took part in every activity, I'm a have ago person and also like to get my monies worth!!!

Saying that there are times when you sign up for a class and life just seems to get in the way a little, I signed up for the next Feather Boot Camp, then just the other day had to send my stitch regulator back to the US for service, but you know what I'll still take the class and have a go at non stitch regulated feathers if need be, a comfortable position for some but for me a bit scary!!!

Like Debbie said 'You only get out what you put in'!

Kay, I LOVE your Avatar!! Are you on a hunt? What breed is your horse? He looks BEAUTIFUL!!!

Okay, that aside...I'm lucky enough to take the Quilt Whisperer class in person in March. Carla is teaching at a quilt shop near her home town--I'm really excited to meet her. Online classes are great, but if you work full time and quilt full time, its really hard to find the time to keep up.

Archived