S/R and acrylic templates - help!

I tried to post this yesterday, but it's not appeared yet.....so forgive me if it's a repeat...

Can anyone give me some tips on using acrylic templates while in stitch regulation mode. Seems that the slightest downward pressure (ie: to hold template in place while stitching along or around) causes my S/R to sputter, surge and/or make really huge stitches - rather than the 11 spi that I have dialed in.

Is there an adjustment that I need to make to hold the back end of the machine down better?

I used templates all the time on my old machine (another brand & non S/R) without any trouble, but I can't seem to get the hang of this one yet...even after nearly a month!

Sorry to whine - it's just that I was so excited to get this machine and now I'm frustrated that the very feature that I bought it for isn't working the way I hoped it would.:(

I do use an extended base. I have checked where the black wheels meet the brown wheels in both spots that the stitch regulator connects in back - all seems well. But there's just a slight wobble, front to back that I'm thinking shouldn't be there.....? I dunno - just grasping at straws at this point.

The S/R seems to work ok for freehand work, as long as I use just a bit of upward pressure on the handles (keeping the back end down) it stitches fine - the trouble I have is primarily while using templates - for SID, circle making, etc....and the manual mode works just fine.

Thanks very much for any advice you may have!

Sherri Dolly

Millennium

Kansas

I wish I could help Sherri but this sounds like a question for the APQS tech staff. Please call Connie or Mark and ask for advise. I am ruler and template dependent myself sew I can thoughrally (sp?) understand your frustration!

Best of luck and please let us know what the deal-e-o is!

Hi Sherri,

I think what is happening is that you are pushing down too hard on the rulers or templates. This will cause the back wheels to lift up off of the rails and then your stitch regulator encoder,(the little rubber wheel), will slip. You can try and tighten the wheel on the other side of that black box to see if that will help, you just don't want to overtighten so that it is hard to move your machine. See if that will work, if not, email me back or give me a call.

Good luck,

Mark APQS

Hi Sherri,

I've had a problem with long stitches when I had my wheels adjusted improperly (too loose). If you can feel a slippage up and down, or left to right when you hold the front handles, then probably you need a wheel adjustment. The best thing you can do is call Connie and have her give you a step by step for adjusting those wheels. Good luck!

Barbara :)

Archived