NQR: A full moon and aurora

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gee I want to go back to Alaska now. We were there about 3 years ago in August. Snow at the mountain tops but no arurora. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I saved them and thinking about doing some thread painting. We just took a class from Nancy Prince and I think I see a quilt coming. The pictures are so beauitful that only God can compose for the camera.

OK just gotta tell you all that these photos were taken with the camera lens open for a long period of time, so it allowed in a lot of light into the camera. What looks like “daylight” on the photograph is really a night scene but because he kept the lens open it allowed the light to come in more and made it look brighter than it really was. In all reality it was a dark moonlit evening, and the light is exaggerated by the camera lens, and the artistic freedom of the person taking the photo.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Beautiful!! You must love living where you can look out the door and see that!!

Oh let me just say that these types of scenes are not your “every day” scenes that we just happen to look at all of the time… these are rare opportunities that were captured by a camera at the right moment in time.

Originally posted by LFQuilts

…. we just studied sound and light in 4th grade so I know a little more about the Northern Lights. Also, do the Northern Lights have any sound in them?

Well, I have seen the aurora on quite a few occasions but only one (1) time did I actually “hear” anything. I will never forget that one special time…it was around 1990-91 and I was with another person who heard them, too, so I know I am not crazy… we were up on the North Slope (top of Alaska) and driving on the road. The lights were dancing with very bright colors and they were covering the entire sky (this is also very rare, too) so we had to pull over and stop and get out and just look at them. We were out in the middle of no where. No buildings for miles, no cars, no nothing for miles; just us standing out there. And we heard what sounds a lot like static; a crackly popping sound. I’ve only heard this once so I know it’s rare to actually hear them, too---the atmospheric conditions have to be “just right.”

Shannon, yes..... God is the bestest doodlebug! :)

Shana, those are gorgeous photos. Your co-worker has a great eye for photography.

We sometimes get the beautiful green northern lights over here too but I have never been able to get a picture.

I too have only heard them once and you described the noise exactly....a crackling popping sound, I didn't realize what the noise was at first. I called up a friend and woke her up so she could go out and see them too....she was very glad I did as she had just moved here and had never seen them before.

Archived