Tension Headaches

HELP!! I am doing machine applique and quilting on a top I made. I am using Metrosene thread in the top and Bottom Line in the bottom. I am having problems with tension/thread breaking on certain colors of thread: Red, Forest green, and orange. The other colors are running beautifully, including a lighter shade of green. These are the only threads with tension problems. I have applied Sewers Aid like crazy, even stuck the green in the freezer. The breaking has pretty much stopped, but I'm getting dots of color showing through on the top and bottom. White dots showing on top and colored dots showing on the backing. I don't want to screaw around with my tension too much, since the other colors are running so well. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Hi Teresa

The first thing you should do is BOBBIN TEST for the type of bobbin you are using, Prewound or metal. Once your bobbin is set correctly adjusting your top is easy. Don't be afraid of adjusting it tighter or looser. I'm not familiar with this thread you have mentioned. Sorry. You can always test the tension by quilting in your EXTRA Backing space outside the quilt top.

I played and adjusted my tension alot on a practice piece with different battings and threads and got really comfortable adjusting it for different situations. If I have a tension problem I usually correct it really quickly. I think all that play gave me confidence to try. It's the only way to learn in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did test the tension on a practice piece, off to the side. On the purple, yellow, leaf green, peach, pink, rose, and light green the tension is wonderful. When I change to the trouble colors it gets messed up. Could it have something to do with the amount of die in the thread or something? All the threads are the same brand, all purchased at the same time (specially for this quilt). I am at my wits end.

Teresa

Teresa,

I really hate it when this happenes to me. But, just because the thread was bought at the same time and is of the same brand does not mean that its a new spoon of thread. Some threads lay around the warehouse for years before they are sent out to the retailers.

And unfortunately there is NO way of knowing if yours is one of those...if the Sewer's Aid, and tension testing just don't do it for you, it may be that this is one of those spoons that just gets thrown away and replaced from a different store.

You also could be right that the dyes have weakened the threads and it will be okay for sewing a seam, but with our fast speeds the thread just isn't holding up.

Some times its not worth the flustration and you need to just play basketball with the spoon and put it in the proper place...File 13.

Archived