Anybody use Fairfield Quilter's 80/20?

My customer sent me a Fairfield 80/20 batting to use. It was packaged batt. There are many thin, see through spots, kind of like holes. :mad:

Has anyone else had a bad experience with this batt?? I like Quilter's Dream products or even W&N, but this stuff is awful.I know I won't take it again.:mad:

Thanks for letting me rant a little!!:o

I've used it....honestly can't say I like it. But when I was quilting for others, I used whatever they brought me. But after the quilts were quilted I would explain why they shouldn't use it again. And left it up to them to decide if it was a batting they wanted again. Some people buy for cost instead of quality...

Linnea,

Yes I actually have one of those on my machine now, it is awful! We did a program at out guild meeting and I had them put into the program the battings that we prefer as LA'rs and those we prefer not to get. It was on my prefer not to get list but I still have some....it is a challenge to keep the very thin areas together..also, after the time and expense put into a quilt, why wouldn't you want a good batting too?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Originally posted by Primitive1

also, after the time and expense put into a quilt, why wouldn't you want a good batting too?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Vicki...I can't begin to tell you how many times I would ask this very same question of those who would continue to bring a batting of poor quality, and its not just Fairfields, there are several brand out ther, and want their quilts done with it.

I would get answers from....

1)It's all I can afford (and the fabrics were LQS quality)

2)It's just what I have on hand (My thought was throw the rest away)

3) It can't be all that bad (well I'll just show you what it looks like quilted in your quilt, since you couldn't possiblly believe the sample I showed you before we started)

4)Quilt piecing cost so much I just wasn't comfortable with using a $50 batt and then pay you to do it as well. Maybe next time I can budget better and get a better batt.

5)Can't you carry a cheaper batting than the LQS and give us a cut on price (that's one reason I never carried batts...didn't want to hassle that...it was bad enough when they would try to buy one of own personal batts and I can just replace it with the one they brought...I don't think so)

So I guess there are many different reason we get these, but through education and example we can and will win the battle.

I used it on my first quilt on my Millie. Never again! First problem was the cat slept on the batting that was laying on the floor and stretched a spot. It was near the end, so I figured "no big deal" Well...in the process of quilting, I am leaning against the batting and it is stretching and coming apart. I finally had to just cut it across the width of the roller, turn it to a non-stretched part, lap it over the part already on the frame and continue on. You can't tell there was a problem, but I will certainly not use it again.

OK simmer down y'all. :) Here is my (always extremely humble) opinion on Fairfield. ;) ;)

Don't be confused...

There are two (2) kinds of this Fairfield batting---80/20 and 60/40

Fairfield offers two battings that are made with a cotton and polyester blend.

NOT good with Longarm Machines: 80/20 is made with an 80% cotton and 20% polyester combination. The 80/20 blend --- it is soft, cottony, and is very loose, pulls apart easily, has a lot of lint, and does not have a scrim. It makes a fuzzy mess everywhere while using it with the high speed heavy duty longarm machine, and it's difficult to handle (without tearing) on a longarm frame. Well ---- It is for HAND QUILTING but unfortulately, the fine print on the bag's label is not large enough or does not make it obviously clear that this specific batting is for HAND quilting. And so people buy this batting for their quilts and bring it to the longarmer and have no idea about it. Well, I have used this batting on a few occasions and I just "deal" with it and treat it delicately. It's definitely not something to be used on the longarm, but it is possible if you are careful handling it.

GOOD with Longarm Machines: 60/40 is constructed of 60% cotton and 40% special blend polyester.

The 60/40 is "similar" in texture to Hobbs, is "longarm machine friendly" and I have used this batting and I REALLY LIKE IT A LOT! :) It's nice, it doesn't tear and pull apart. It has a nice loft and is managable on the longarm frame. I haven't noticed any thin spots this 60/40 batting.

So..... just keep in mind that the 60/40 batting is OK (IMHO) but the other stuff 80/20 is not OK on the longarm, but is OK for hand quilting. A big difference in both batts.

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

My customer sent me a Fairfield 80/20 batting to use. It was packaged batt. There are many thin, see through spots, kind of like holes. :mad:

Has anyone else had a bad experience with this batt?? I like Quilter's Dream products or even W&N, but this stuff is awful.I know I won't take it again.:mad:

Thanks for letting me rant a little!!:o

I've used it once and will never use it again. The customer that brought it to me was told that not to bring it again. If you see it coming, run, run very fast.

Shana - I thought you liked the 60/40 and I thought that was the one that was longarm friendly. No?

OK now I am confusing myself!! :P Easy to do.

Thanks, Heidi... for correcting me... I just edited my post... LOL!!

Fairfield offers two battings that are made with a cotton and polyester blend. Machine 60/40 is constructed of 60% cotton and 40% special blend polyester. Quilter's 80/20 is made with an 80% cotton and 20% polyester combination (for hand quilting).

I LOVE the 60/40 for longarm quilting.

I HATE the 80/20 for longarm quilting.

I had a customer bring me some and it had holes like you describe and it also looked like they had cleaned up the floor with it. I called the customer and told her that I didn't think she wanted to pay me as much as she was paying me to quilt this and then have it look awful because of the batting. She was so grateful that I told her, as she had no idea.

You should call the customer, as she probably has no idea.

I’m a little late weighing in on this post as I was away when the discussion began. I am the marketing manager at Fairfield and while it’s disappointing to hear product complaints, I want you to know that your voices are heard.

As a result of feedback like yours we have already implemented product improvements to the Quilter’s 80/20. We have added a bond to it that gives it more stability and eliminates the lint. This is a great batting for the hand quilter or someone who is machine quilting without a frame. We do not recommend it for long arm machines.

Among the many battings we offer are two with a scrim that are ideal for long arm quilting. These are Nature-Fil™ Bamboo and the Machine 60/40 Blend. I hope that you would give these two great products a try before you exile Fairfield completely.

You should also be aware that we offer an unconditional guarantee on our products and will replace any defective material. Send us an email to consumer@poly-fil.com or call us 1-800-980-8000 so that we have an opportunity to make you happy.

Thank you,

Judy Novella

Fairfield's Bamboo is so soft and I found it very easy to use. A bit linty, but something I could overlook once quilted and washed. That's how much I loved the softness and drap.

I also liked the Machine 60-40 it I though felt like a thinner Warm N Natural, but I really really liked the drap. Now both of these quilts were not quilted tight, they were both for babies and the new moms really liked them.

I just wanted to add that I love the Fairfield 80/20 on my Domestic sewing machine! All the layers stick together and makes it easier to quilt. I am right now considering buying a long arm and was hoping that I could quilt with my favorite batting. I live in San Diego so the temperature never gets to cold and that batting is very breathable, (hot flashes). I am hoping I will still be able to use it. Could I if I am very careful?

Debbie, I've used it on the longarm before. I'm assuming [ break that word up ] that is what they sold at Wally. You have to be very gentle with it. It will tear with the slightest pull. If you pick it up as you advance your quilt and kinda flip it it will stay straight. Not my most favorite, but will use it if the cust. insists, love . love the 60/40. I do tell the cust. of the pitfalls, but the liitle ole ladies want cheap. JMHO Glenda

I bought some of the 80/20 on a trip across the pond a few years ago, before I knew better. Went to use it last week. Just pleased I hadn't spent alot of $$$$$. It is awful. It was like tissue paper.

I haven't put it in the gash as it might come in useful for polishing my car!!!!!!!!!!

I only used the 80-20 once. I showed my customer (when she came to pick it up) the scraps of batting left over and could poke my finger right through it. I told her that I wouldn't be able to use any more of that batting. She brought a huge (king size I think) bag of it and sent the left overs back home with her. I told her that with having to pull and tug to make sure that there were no tucks getting into the quilt, it was a nightmare for longarm quilters but it would probably be just fine for smaller projects she could quilt herself.

I have not used the 60-40, but will give it a try on one of my personal quilts just to see how it works. Thank you Judy for noticing and making the changes to make our jobs/hobbies easier. It is good to see a company want to please their customers.:)

• 2 years later...

I love Fairfield 80/20 batting for it's thin and light weight quality and the best drape I have seen in a cotton or 80/20 batt for my machine quilting. It can not be pulled! This is probably why longarm use is very difficult. When I take it out of the packaging, I lightly mist it on both sides and put it in the dryer and take it out immediately or let it dry on a straight railing or line if it is crib size and on a slightly flat surface such as a clean car or sheet covered car if king size. To pin I pat it smooth and use a large quilt ruler to very carefully smooth out winkles.

I typically machine quilt 1 to 2 inches apart.

This is great batting for baby quilts and lap quilts for the elderly for the light weight aspect and soft drape. I have washed my quilts repeatedly and this batt has withstood the test time with heavy use. I recommend this batt for my quilt customers who want thin, light weight, and nice drape in their finished quilts.

Thanks for all the advice on longarm use. I will probably be longarming in the not too distance future!

I just used the Fairfield bamboo batting...the 60/40 as someone brought it to me for a charity baby quilt. The loft was good and I didn't have any issues getting a decent stitch. It would probably be easier to say, this 80/20 isn't well suited for machine quilting, perhaps you could bring me the 60/40 I think you'll be happier with the result. I have been exclusively using quilters dream otherwise, but have been experimenting with different batting types on charity quilts as many people bring whatever they have for some of these projects. I certainly have learned a lot:)

Archived