Up front mini feathers

CJQ

I finished a quilt last week for a customer using my up front stylus and mini feathers template. It was a block of the week done in civil war prints. She did a beautiful job piecing and it was so much fun to quilt. I did something different in each block. My plexiglass and dry erase markers got plenty of use!

I have posted pics in my webshots. They are in the new folder. You can click below. I am having trouble posting directly to the forums. I'm told the pics are too large and I don't know how to fix that.

If anyone has ideas for the log cabin in the folder that would be great.

Thanks!

You can see more pictures if you click on my webshots below.

The "new" folder has them.

Michael, thanks for posting those. How did you do it? When I tried to copy one from my camera disk to the forum it said that it was too large. I don't understand why it was different from my webshots.

Hi,

To download from Webshots, you find your picture on Webshots,

then click on "Link to It. You will find it on the right, or by clicking

on the picture. Then, click on the size at the top. Use 600

Then right click on the last choice "Post in a Forum" Copy the

address and go to the APQS forum reply block and click on the

globe with handcuffs at the top. Then paste. Check out preview.

Here is the full quilt.

2555419070102456378S600x600Q85.jpg

• 2 months later...

Jane, Your Circle Lord round Featherz are beautiful. Mine are not---

I have a baby quilt loaded on my long arm, and I'm using the round 5" mini Featherz template, but I'm not getting good looking feathers. I'm not using the upfront system as it doesn't fit my particular frame.

I'm following the directions ---but obviously not well, because my " feather spine" frequently does not connect.

1.) When I start out at the X should I go all the way down the spine, and then back up to the half feather?

2.) When I back track out of the first half feather and stitch up and around the top full feather and come back down, should I go all the way back down the spine and then over to the other half feather.?

3.) The final half feather is where I seem to have the real problem of the line of stitching overlapping, and also the stitching lines don't even run on top of each other sometimes. I have two lines of stitching next to each other.

My feathers look "messy". The center spine frequently has gaps between the next feather spine. There seems to be a lot of space for the stylus to wiggle when I come down from the top feather and try to go into the last half feather. Is this correct?

I am attaching a picture here, and a second message with a picture. If anyone can help or have an idea of what I'm doing wrong, I appreciate it your input. Thank you.

post--13461903928988_thumb.jpg

Second picture of my "funky 5" circle feather wreath"

(some people have written to me and asked what macro lens I use to take pictures. I don't. These close ups are taken with a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 camera on the "auto" setting.) No macro lens or settings. The camera is still available, but is an older model.)

post--13461903929293_thumb.jpg

Angie, I'm looking at my Featherz instructions and the mini template.

1. You should start the stitching at #1 - not at the X. You stitch to the X, then around on #2 - not all the way down the spine.

2. For #3 you stitch the bump, then bump on next feather, down to the X. Don't stitch all the way down the spine.

3. Go into #4 -the last feather - then back out and down to the bottom of the spine.

I think you have to "ride the groove", keeping the stylus along one side of each area of the template and keep the stylus on that side both in and out of the feather. You have to decide which side of the groove feels right and works best for you. You should have a spine around the entire wreath when you are done - no gaps.

I've used this template and have made perfect feather wreaths, so you should be able to do it also! :):):) Remember to ride the groove. :D

Hi Carmen,

I received your directions. They appear to be the same ones I'm using. I should correct myself though---I am not starting at the X, I'm starting exactly where it shows on the picture. Looking at the top full feather, I'm starting just a tad above the right side of the top full feather just above that Y section, going down just a tad into the spine, going back up and over to the left half feather, backtracking out, then up and around the top feather, back down to the Y section at the bottom of the full feather that takes you over to the right half feather, back tracking out, and down the spine to the end of the spine. It's just all loosy goosy looking sometimes, other times it's O.K.---not good though.

Stopping there, and stepping two holes.

The only thing I have not done is put the business card between the stepping disc and the template. I'll try that. I'm also not going to rip out the "bad feather wreaths". I did do a couple of them, and they were no better when I went to correct them. This is a donation quilt and it has about 15 more squares I can "practice" these circle feather wreaths in---so onward I go in the hopes I finally get the hang of this.

That last wider Y intersection is a lot of the problem to---the stylus is really wiggly there as I attempt to go up that right half feather---

Thank you for offering your help---I appreciate it so much....

Angie, try starting the feather group on the same side of the groove/Y that you come out of the last feather. And when you come out of the last feather, go slow and try to keep the stylus on the same side of the groove tht you started on. I don't know what else to tell you except to practice a bit and you should get it.

Thanks Carmen. I'm going to try again, and keep at this until I get it. I know it must be something I'm doing wrong. I just wanted to reconfirm with someone that I was starting and stopping where I was supposed to.

Everyone else's CL circle featherz look so good!----

I'll keep you posted. if at the end of this quilt I still am off the lines---you will hear me screaming! :):):):):):)

Well, here I am 10 circle wreaths later, and things are not much better. I started looking at the other featherz sizes that are on the same disc, and that Y section on them just below the top full feather. The Y section on the other sizes is much smaller

The 5" feathered wreath Y section is definitely larger and the stylus just wobbles around right there in that particular spot -or section. ( a lot)

I will contact Michael and let him know what is going on with pictures of what I'm seeing as compared to the other feathered circles on this template, and maybe it's just a flaw in the disc. I have 8 more 5" feathered circles to do, and I will be sooooo--- happy this "learning experience" is over. My leaf borders, and looping sashing design I did freehand is the only redeeming thing about this baby quilt.

:(

Thanks everyone. I finished the quilt, I'm going to wash it and call it a learning experience. :)

Do any of you know if the Stylus part has changed at all in the past several years?

My Circle Lord stuff stylus was used, not new. Now, I'm just grabbing at straws as to why I have so much room to wobble around in this particular template design. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

Yes, Mary Beth, it would have helped to have used a pastel thread, not the shade of dk. pink I picked out.

I'm off to my semi annual quilt retreat, so I'll contact Michael late next week with pictures so he can see what I see---thanks again everyone. You are all so helpful. That's what I love about this forum!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Angie.

Have you solved this yet? I'm wondering if you are using your NEEDLE DOWN feature? Stitch the section, needle down to stop, advance the template, then resume stitching. Seems like your needle is hopping to a new spot as you go around.

Just a thought!

Stick with it. They are worth it.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

• 3 months later...

Okay - this is months and months after Angie's posts - so I hope you're still watching this one.

I'm having the same issues that Angie had with the larger featherz template. I practiced for over 3 hours, taking a dinner break in there as well - no luck. Finally did give up and go with a different quilting pattern for the blocks - some design with lines that Pam Clarke teaches.

So Angie - did you ever get it working right? Mine are the same as yours and it's frustrating. I tried many of the different sizes and followed the instructions to a T... I've put it away and plan to loan it to another LAer to see if she has better luck.

Archived