Studio cleaning

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just sitting here with a hot cup of tea (in my chilly basement/studio) watching the snow fall and pile up. I'm looking at stuff that needs to be put away and at the dust on my desk, threads on the carpet, and the dark chocolate candy bar I keep on the side of my desk. Guess what will get my attention next? If you said the candy bar...you are right! :) I am really putting off going out to shovel the snow from my sidewalk and drive and cleaning the cars off.

Maybe after I finish this piece of candy, I'll go up tot he kitchen and watch Shana's bread dough rise. HA, ha.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

How large does your sewing/quilting space have to be before you can refer to it as a "studio?"

It is my entire basement. It is all quilting stuff...except for the couch that use to be here...I think it still is, but it is under stuff. I need to dig that out, as I remember it was a good couch, very comfortable :D

Sandra et al! I am in the same boat... not gonna dig my car out today - shopped yesterday thank goodness!

My studio is half of my living room... 40 ft long. MB - you can help me if you want!

Cleaning my "junk room" to store more stuff since it's my turn to have quilt club Monday... that is if anyone can get here!

Have walking pnemonia so not up to my best... the kid downstairs who smokes sure doesn't help! Got a clean air machine but it is now covered with dust...

Can I have one of your pieces of candy?

Bobbi,

Walking pnemonia is an excuse not to clean. And I would the the Quilt Club to find another meeting location. But that just me, when I'm sick, everybody knows it (no kidding) and I go to bed. I have a clean air maching that I was thinking of putting in my studio for the batting crap and lint. It is older and way too loud to have in the rest of the house.....

Why am I talking to you....I have to clean :D

Hope you get better soon... walking pnemonia is nothing to play around with ya know.

LOL just got home from the paint store. We're making my daughters old room into Madie's room and we have to repaint it. Daughter is coming over today to do it so I must make sure I'm prepared. I'm headed to the studio right now...promise! Oh you won't see pictures until April...sorry but I'm told I can't share until then. It will kill me! I want you all to see this quilt...I'm lovin it. Not perfect but I'm pleased with the design.

Must be the day for cleaning out our studio's (Not sure I can call mine a studio as it is really a conservatory):). I think my DS must rue the day when he said I dont know why you dont have your sewing gear in the conservatory. As that is my biggest room in my home. When I got my Lenni I decided that was a good idea.

He has told me since that If i want to change rooms again, not to come to him for help. LOl:P

Not sure if my place looks any tidier, but my Little Dove Lenni has had a nice bath, so hopefully tomorrow she will be purring a long.

Oh my CL Sunburst template arrived to. :D Goody

Bobbi sorry to hear you are not very well......(((((((((((Please take care)))))))))))))))

Bobbi, take care of yourself. I had pneumonia twice over the holidays. It just sucks the life out of you.

We use the Sharper Image air purifiers with the filters that can be wiped clean every 3 days, no expensive

filters to buy. We have one in the living room and one in my studio. They are pricey to buy initially.

They were $500 for both and that was 5 years ago. Ours ran all the time and were pretty shot after 5 years.

So we are on our 2nd set; this time $550. If you think about the cost, it works out to about a 30 cents

a day to run 2 air filters. My lungs are in bad shape so I really have to take care of them. When I clean

the filters and see the stuff that is on the filter and not in my lungs, I am thankful we have them.

And second-hand smoke, ewwww.

Take care of yourself.

Kath,

Can't wait to see pictures of that Sunburst. I am getting ready to start a sampler for th Mid West Quilters meeting in a couple of weeks.....after I finish my studio ;)

My children (the ones that have helped move my stuff) have told me the same thing your son has said....but I babysit....so they are putty in my hands!! ( they don't know I love to babysit Haylee, so I would do it for free ;)).

Okay, one last thing...because this is funny and there is no one here that would appreciate the humor.

I was just walking around, picking up and putting up and really on a roll. I found a bobbin in the floor that had quite a long tail. I broke off the thread and put the bobbin in the box with the matching colors. My ankles started feeling funny and it was getting harder to walk....my ankles were tied together :D:D:D:D:D There as a lot of thread tail hanging down I guess.....:D:D:D:D Oh, I don't know if you guys laugh over this stuff....but I enjoy it a lot....maybe I should just blog it....:D:D

My goodness, Bobbi, if I had walking pneumonia I'd be flat on my back .......... is that called laying down pneumonia! :P Anyway, I sure hope you take good care of yourself. Are you on some good medications and getting lots of rest? Why don't you just curl up in your fav quilt with a cup of tea and a quilt magazine!! That's a sure spirit lifter!

Sylvia, it's not the size of the room that counts, it's the magic of the quilter that counts. All you need is enough room to stitch and it's a studio, IMHO! :P

Heidi, I'm dying here, waiting to see your quilt. I've been afraid to ask how it's coming along, knowing you have to keep it under wraps, so to speak. I can hardly wait to see it. I really don't know where you find the time to do all that you do, and now you're painting Madie's room too! Sheeesh, you've got energy. Can I have some?

Okay, Mary Beth, the challenge is on, I'm going to clean up my studio too! But I have to grab some chocolate first -- who has that candy???? I'll bet she's eaten it by now....:(

Bobbi hope you are taking care of yourself and not overdoing it. My studio also needs cleaning, but I have another quilt to finish before the end of the month so it will have to wait. Also construction begins next week on the Garage/ studio!! I keep telling people that ask what we are building that it is a GARAGE!!!! My husband tells me to tell the TRUTH it isn't a GARAGE it is my studio over a Garage, operative word being the Studio the garage is just something to hold up my studio:o:cool::P

Of course he is right but it sounds less selfish to say that we really need a garage!!!

Mary Beth, I think that is funny about the thread all around your ankles. I found a similar situation when my two little grandchildren snuck up in my studio. I found them with spools of thread. Took the thread and put it on the shelf and tried to get them to come down stairs. They couldn't walk the two of them were all tied together around their ankles and legs. When I picked one of them up, they were attached. tooo funny, I had to take scissors and cut them loose. I would have taken pictures but didnt dare leave them up stairs by themselves as if they had tried to walk down they could have tripped and fallen down the stairs. Good thing when things got quiet I went searching for them. I was looking for the little guy and called Bubby, where are you to which he replied, I am in your room getting into your stuff!!! out of the mouths of babes.

picture of my little trouble makers. Gotta lovem!!

post--1346190336116_thumb.jpg

Darn...I lost my entire post. OK, I'll recreate it, (:

Yes, I still have candy here. Come on over. :) It is Cadbury's Royal Dark Chocolate. But hurry up...it's almost gone.

Mary Beth...I also love to laugh at silly things. Laughing is supposed to be good therapy and it is free of calories, too. In fact it may burn one or two. Not bad. I sit here in my basement/studio, all alone at my laptop and giggle at lots of posts on this forum.

To answer the size question, my room is about 13.5 feet square, but not all of it is usable space. I have a stairway coming down from the first floor, so take takes out a good 3 feet I think. Besides the steps, I have a door out to my back yard and a door to my laundry room, and 2 windows on the wall where the door goes to the patio. I have a desk, an sewing machine cabinet, 3 bookcases, a cutting table, and a wardrobe/armoire, a saddle stool, a rolling desk-sewing chair and a comfy chair with a footstool. Then I have a microwave cart with a TV on top (not a microwave). There is only room for me. When my husband comes down here he always bumps into things and complains, so I tell him to stay upstairs. :)

"Sylvia, it's not the size of the room that counts, it's the magic of the quilter that counts." Now, Mary Beth, you know I got a few giggles out of Linda Craig's quote above. LOL I started to giggle because I wanted to say right back that "it IS the size that counts"...because I can barely walk through here. Now, what did you think I was talking about? :)

Mary Beth, you have my sides hurting from laughing!! I can just picture you all wound up!:P:P:P:P:P

I'm sorting out old quilting magazines. UGH!! Too many that I want to KEEP!

Jeanne, your "troublemakers" are too precious and adorable!!

Yes, Sandra, it does not matter how big your space is.............it always fills up and you need MORE room!! My studio is 17' x 25', 425 square feet. I want 25' x 30' I think that might do it.;);)

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be finished a customer quilt!! Pooh-bah!

Sandra!! :P:P:P:P I knew you meant the room -- teehee! And put that chocolate down, I'm on my way over!!! :P:P:P:P

Jeanne, I burst out laughing at your grands comments, "I am in your room getting into your stuff!!! " They are cute and hilarious!

MB, you are too funny! Captive in your own studio! :P:P

Oh my gosh, I'm not getting a thing done, but yakking and laughing on here. My DH thinks I've lost my mind!! He keeps yelling from the other room, "WHAT'S SO FUNNY???" I yelled back, "OH NOTHING, JUST BEING TIED UP AND THE SIZE OF ......" He responded, "WHAT??!?!?" I yelled back, "THE SIZE OF STUDIOS, WHAT DID YOU THINK I MEANT?" Why is he shaking his head??? :P:P:P

Mary Beth LOL you need to keep a camera going in your studio...sure to create all the humor the world needs!

I decided to go down and clean my machine since I have really put a lot of thread through it in the last week and didn't want any problems. Now I'm back to quilting...just taking a little lunch break.

Linda - I know it is killing me to keep it under wraps...I like to share! It is coming along and I wish I were further along...almost 1/2 done though :P. I can hardly wait to take it off the frame so that I can really see what it looks like. Oh and I'm not painting...my daugher is. I just had to go buy the paint. She offered and I said ABSOLUTELY! I can't wait to have that all done. Maybe I should do a daughter-honey-do list...hubby seems to ignore my list! Thankfully my family is very supportive of my quilting! People tell me all the time that I get a ton done but I always feel like I don't get enough done! If I could just loose the day job!!!!

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

How large does your sewing/quilting space have to be before you can refer to it as a "studio?"

Size doesn't matter, it's what you do with it. Right? So that said, a "studio" can be small or large. :) Can be a spare bedroom, can be the entire space in the attic, or basement, or in a completely different building.

Originally posted by IBQLTN2

....I was looking for the little guy and called Bubby, where are you to which he replied, I am in your room getting into your stuff!!! out of the mouths of babes.

Jeanne, your "trouble makers" are adorable.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

.......Have walking pnemonia so not up to my best...

Bobbi, take care of yourself; get well soon.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

........I found a bobbin in the floor that had quite a long tail.....My ankles started feeling funny and it was getting harder to walk....my ankles were tied together ......:D:D:D:D Oh, I don't know if you guys laugh over this stuff....but I enjoy it a lot....

Yes, I am LMAO. :P

Originally posted by Mary Beth

I just talked to Claudia....I have one and a half hours to clean my studio...then she is making me work on my MQS quilt. Funny how someone half a world a way can tell me what to do and I jump to. I can't be on here either... I gotta go....talk to you all later ;)

MB you better git bizzzzzay on that MQS quilt, girlfriend.

Archived