cjtinkle

12 or 14 foot frame?

I have a week to make up my mind on the frame length for my Millennium. While I can fit a 14 foot frame, it will be really tight, I'd only be able to walk around one end instead of both.

Will a 12 foot frame be limiting?

Signature.jpg

Hi again, just answered your other question too! For me, I've not needed to do a quilt that wouldn't fit on my 12' frame, and I've been quilting since 2006. Not as long as some on this forum! I think the 14' frame is good if you want to do king size comforters or bedspreads, but usual quilts will fit easily on the 12' system. I've got quite a large room, but I still butt the left hand end of the frame up to the wall, which gives me loads of room the other end - enough to walk around, and have my DSM in a cabinet on my right as well.Hope this helps a bit.

Shelley

Shelley

Heritage Country Quilting

Western Australia

2009 APQS Millenium, hand guided.

'Waltzing Matilda" or Milly Tilly!

I have an 11 ft. frame. I really wanted a 12 ft. but it would have been tight and the built in ironing board would never have come out of the wall again! :D So I asked if APQS could make an 11 ft. and it was no problem, no extra charge. If 14 ft. won't work for you then you might ask if they will do 13 ft.

EF895DFA46EABF5DCB57E11F31E1DE91.png

Carmen in the Ozarks

CJ,

I've had my 12-footer since 1994 and am able to do any king-size quilt, but not a king-size bedspread. A 12-foot table will quilt a project up to 126 inches wide.

The advantage of a 14-foot table comes into play if you decide to use after-market gadgets such as the Hartley Fence or Circle Lord (products designed to help you do specific patterns using a stylus and idler arm attached to the machine). With the extra 2 feet of table space, these accessories can remain on the table and still be out of your way. I must take them off and put them back on again if I have a big quilt that interferes with their operation or required space.

As for comfort, the "footprint" of a Millennium (with a motorized fabric advance) will be 5 feet by 13 feet (12-foot table) or 5 feet by 15 feet (14-foot table.)

The end of the table opposite of the motorized fabric advance can be against a wall to conserve space. But to comfortably walk and work around all sides of the machine, we recommend a minimum of 8 feet by 15 feet for a 12-foot table, or 8 feet by 17 feet for a 14-foot table.

Of course, you can get by with less...some of us (read that me) are blessed with bigger "behinds" that need more space to squeeze by the machine. :) In fact, I just visited a lovely lady near Oklahoma City who must drop down and crawl under her machine to reach the other side (she's in great shape! :))

Hope this helps!

DA6F15FEDD9F8F152708CED82003B151.png

APQS Customer Service & Education Director

1-800-426-7233

dawn@apqs.com

I have a 14 ft table but also have a 14 by 39 ft room. I'm really happy with it. Lots of room on the table. My friend told me that if she could she would have the 14 so she could pull the machine out from the quilt if she needed to do something to the machine. Just a thought.

Dell 2016 Millie Frannie Ann Jr. with Bliss & she is Quiltaziod and Circle Lord Equipped with lots of Quilting Toys and now has Quilt Path!

I have a twelve foot and only walk around the one end, but would have preferred a 14 foot table... just not enough room. I can do king size as Dawn says, but with a drop, it is close, Also, I have CompuQuilter, which effectively slims down the area I can easily use a bit. I think most work is fine on a 12 foot table. Love my Millie and my Compu-Quilter!

Linda Fuller Silver

I had a 12foot table for over 12 years, and now have a 14 footer. If you have the room get the larger one. You will never use more than a 12foot space but there is always that one you wished you had a longer table. My originial table was short only twice, but enough that now I will never be short.

Bonnie Botts

APQS Sales Rep - Certified Service Technician

APQS Millennium 2006---MJ

APQS Millennium 2004---Lucy

405-533-1025 home

518-935-3832 cell

"Absolute rules are about as useless in making quilts as they are in raising children" Carter Houck---1992

I have the 12' table. I too was limited on space. I too have never had a quilt larger than 126" that wouldn't fit on my table.

Dawn is correct, the fabric advbance adds to the footprint of the table. Adds nearly 1'. If 14' is already tight...you should probably consider the 12' table. :)

Kristina at website http://withakquilting.blogspot.com/ and personal blog http://froggybottomquilting.blogspot.com/

Hoppily quilting along with FROGGER - my Green Millennium, and TOAD - my Liberty. Quiltazoid equipped too!

Just 2 cents worth, get as big of a table as you can fit. My table is 12 feet long, and I still can only walk around one end of it (other end is butted up against the window). So far I've been able to do the King size quilts that fit my bed but I've had to move my quilt over to accommodate for quilting with the Quiltazoid and Hartley Fence on some of the bigger quilts like others have had to do with their Circle Lords, too. I would have loved to have been able to fit a 14 footer in there, but I couldn't give up my closet.:)

Cindy Thompson

(My perfect quilting combo...Milli and Quiltazoid)

Chrome Top Quilts

I only had room for the 12 foot, but wanted the 14. When you're loading a backing it's nice to have the machine out of the way. I also want the Quiltazoid, but hesitated for now because of the space available. Buy the 14 foot.

Get the biggest you can fit. I have mine diagonally in my room as that is how my husband wanted me to put it and it wasn't worth the fight at the time. I don't walk around the one end at all. I'm in the process of rearranging and one end will be against the wall and I will put my stuff where I want it this time. I have yet to use the whole frame, but I know it is there if I need it and I like pulling my machine off the side of the quilt at night!

Shirley

I got the 14 foot as I thought this is a once in a lifetime purchase and did not what to be limitied in size. It is nice as I leave my Hartly Fence attatched on the end of the table and it's never in the way. I can also move my machine to the side with the quilt on to change bobbins, blow out the lint, etc.

9BD280A625D2D6D2E2166C9DE34879A9.png

Quilting from the Heart

APQS Millenium, Circle Lord equipped, hand guided and lov'n it!!!

http://rosecityquilter.wordpress.com/

http://qfth.ca

Quilting From the Heart is on Facebook!

RoseCity Quilter is also on Facebook!!

I have a 14 ft table and for quite a while I could only walk around 1 side of it. I didn't find that was really a problem and hey, I got a bit more exercise not being able to take the shortcut! :D

19E920403B85A1395DD3B8E416809520.png

P's & Q's (and other things, too)

APQS sales, service and training

Longarm quilting on Milli, my Millennium

sheila@ps-n-qs.com

http://www.ps-n-qs.com