Batting sizes to start out?

I agree with Patty. If storage isn't an issue for you then get the rolls. My customers are really starting to love the wool. They see the quilts I bring to guild and they want theirs to look like that. I love dream puff too. I also keep dream poly supreme on hand. I have 80/20 Hobbs (not my favorite but another option) & 70/30 QD cotton/poly blend...can't think of the name of it to save my life at the moment. I ordered a sample of each batt QD has too and my plan is to cut them in half (craft size) and make samples of each batting so that my customers can see the differences. I'm going to have a washed and unwashed sample. It's on the list of things to do :P:P:P it is going to be a while though!

• 10 months later...

I am a new business but I use the King Size batting and sell by the linear inch and carry only 4 types of batting. Dream Wool, Dream Cotton Deluxe, Dream Puff and Dream Orient. I have a price list for all my services to give to each customer that includes all the info on each type. By selling the linear inch the price is close to what they would pay for packaged. What is left over is mine (covers my storage, cutting time and their convenience not having to go to store) Package the left overs in 2 gallon ziplocks listing type and dimensions. Last night I loaded a baby quilt and had just the right size without having to cut from a roll. Occasionally someone will bring 2 baby quilts and if they both fit from one cut of roll I will only charge "the linear inches"

I take the time to educate my customers on batting and longarm quilting. Believe it or not most have opted for Dream Orient because of the drape & its other qualities. So far most of my customers have preferred the flatter look rather than the loft of wool (which I love). I only purchased the rolls as customers requested them so I didn't have a large outlay all at once.

I stock Queen rolls of QD poly select, 70/30 cotton/poly blend and Dream Green poly. While the poly and Green are very similar, many of my customers really like being green and use it unless the quilt top has white fabric where the green will show through.

I also keep single batts of Orient, cotton, black poly and wool, but my customers rarely opt for these.

I too have had the goal to make up the batting samples, but it just hasn't risen to the top of my to do list!

Julia

Well, I do just the opposite. I do have a roll of QD Puff, queen size, but since I don't have much space to store batting (or anything else for that matter) I have opted to buy the packaged batts. I am only doing this part time, and most of my customers bring me the batting, usually the W&N from JoAnn's - not my favorite.

I try to keep batts that I like available in queen, twin and craft. I'm finding many of my customers are swinging back to 100% cotton batting, wool is too expensive, and more than a few seem to like the QD Green batts. I keep the QD 70/30 and the all poly batt. When a customer contacts me about doing a quilt, we discuss the batting options and if I have what they want, great, if not I offer to order it for them or have them buy it somewhere else.

So far I haven't sold much batting, but it's available wrapped and clean when they do, or when I'm doing something of mine.

If I had more space, and could have a good holder/dispenser for the rolls, I think I would opt for the rolls and sell by the inch.

I did finally get all my samples stitched and I did 2, one I washed one I didn't. This way the customer can see shrinkage and feel the difference. I used it today with a customer and she picked one out and said but I like this one. It was the unwashed version. I told her then don't wash your quilt :P:P:P. She really appreciated having the samples.

Archived