needle holes in quilt

I've been getting needle-holes in my quilts. Looks like a million little holes in the quilt, which you can see when you hold it up and a light is behind it or look at it from underneath, while it is still loaded on the table.

I use a new needle with every quilt. Sometimes 2 needles for one quilt, if a King size. I most often use 3.5 size needles with So Fine Thread. Size 4.0 for Rainbow, Highlight threads, which are slippery. 3.0 for Batiks.

I have found this happening with Groz-Beckert and Schmetz brand needles.

I can't find Singer MR sewing needles any more. (they were bought out). Does anyone have a source for Singer MR needles? This was never an issue when I used those.

Quilts are cotton fabrics. Batting is Quilters Dream blend, select loft.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You did not mention what brand of machine you have. Not that it matters, really. I use a size 4 or 4.5 for almost everything. I have an APQS Millie and keep it pretty tight on the frame when I quilt. I use Groz Beckert titanium coated needles from Superior Threads.

Usually the holes close up after you unload the quilt; and most assuredly after it is laundered. I think the tightness of it on the frame makes the holes more noticeable.................to us who have our noses in it anyway!:P:P

Usually about 97% of the time holes will close when the quilt is washed the first time....I never worry about holes...regardless of the batting or the fabric. Even Batiks heal after they are washed. I literally use from the very cheapest threads to the most expensive, and yes it happens from time to time, but I haven't ever had one that didn't have it all come out in the wash or if it was a customers quilt after they washed it. Needles, I use have used several different brands and they all sealed up in the wash.

Originally posted by hmerrill

As long as the needle isn't breaking the threads of the fabric those holes will close right up.

I think I have been very lucky here in this department...I've never had a needle break a fabric thread or if it did, it wasn't noticeable and no one called me on it.

Archived