AccuQuilt

Mary Beth

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary Beth

There's a rumor that Accuquilt is getting ready to release some new dies for the GO. Maybe when you're ready to buy the new dies will be out. I bought the GO for personal use and I love it!! I used my GO to cut pieces for flying geese in a border and I've never had such accurate pieces. I'm not what you'd call exactingly accurate with a ruler and rotary cutter so the GO definitely improves my piecing. See how easy it is to justify a new toy :cool:

Here's a Youtube video that uses the GO strip cutter to make diamonds. Really a great idea.

edited to add:

I just wanted to clarify that it's not my youtube video. It would probably take me years to figure out that I could cut diamonds with the strip cutter.

I have the Go and like it alot but like Joann mentioned they have certainly more die options with the Studio. I think some of the Dies are too pricey like Ricky Tims dies. They are beautiful no doubt but I would rather draw them myself than to pay the die cost. I would ony be interested in dies that of a traditional piecing as they would certainly be used the most.

The Studio is on my Birthday and Christmas List this year. I find the Go Hard to turn sometimes and I don't put alot of layers at all. The fabric does shift and I have managed to learn to press well and even starch before cutting. Sometimes you get a tiny dimple where the fabric folds are at least in Strip dies anyway.

I also use my Sussex (think I spelled that right) for crafting. I have alot of those dies too. I sharpen by running heavy duty FOIL in the die cuts.

One of the best things about the studio is the size of the die boards. There are many that you can fold the fabric right off the bolt and cut. There seems to be very little waste on the large boards. I cut out the "take 5" for my mom yesterday. I needed 30 blocks (each block has 5 pieces). I used 3 colors of fabric so as I took it from the bolt I fan folded it onto the die 5 times (10 layers).I did that 3 times (once for each color) and I had 30 complete and exact blocks with just 3 turns. I put all my leftovers in a basket and every week I use the scraps to run through on the dresden plate die because I love them scrappy. I have quite a basket of dresden plate pieces. I did that before for the double wedding ring until I had enough. I have never had any shifting on my studio. The only complaint I have is that it is not very portable. I use mine so much that I guess it doesn't really matter. I wouldn't want to part with mine.

I have not had any trouble with shifting on my GO, and I can cut 4 layers of fabric quite easy. I know the Go does not cut as many layers like the Studio can, but as I said before , I do not quilt as a business. I still find I can cut out with the Go much faster than I can with my rotary cutter.

I recently showed my take five die to my quilting group buddies. We make quilts for charities. The take five pattern will be great for them to use. Of course since I have a studio model I will be doing all the cutting! ;) I love the accuracy of the dies. It really makes the piecing easier. My biggest problem is that between accuquilt dies and Michael and his Circle Lord templates my budget is always in trouble.

Pamela

Hi Mary Beth,

I've been considering whether to go with the Studio or Go cutter. Have heard from several that the GO is a lot harder to turn. Am thinking of going together with sister & cousin to purchase the Studio since I also have major neck/shoulder issues. From the feedback I've had you can cut a LOT more layers with a LOT less effort with the Studio model.

I have not tried either one of them; just relying on other's experience.

I was undecided about the Studio or Go also. I'd heard the Go was harder to turn but then again the price was right. I've now decided to wait a bit longer and get the Studio Model. Once I get it I'll offer to cut the binding strips for my customers quilts that I do as an additional service. I'm also going to downsize my personal stash by cutting it up into Pretty Jelly Rolls for my customers to buy. I don't think I could do this with the GO as easily then I can buy my new dies with what I make selling Jelly Rolls:)

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

I have the GO! and use it ALL the time. It is the best thing in the world for cutting strips. I use it for all my bindings and sashings. If it broke I would buy it again. I wondered if it was a fad that would fade....or if it is like a rotary cutter...and everyone will have one and use them regularly. After having one I decided it is like a rotary cutter...a necessary tool in quilting.

I have some videos tips up on youtube...you can see them here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp3lTcKClGQ and another on my site http://quiltsonthecorner.com

Not tomorrow but the following Wednesday my weekly tip is using the GO!

Mary Beth...I hear you! That darned Dave Ramsey. Actually he has great advice. My husband and I have been working really hard to get all our debt paid off. My sister laughs at me. I ask myself 2 questions before I buy something. 1. Will I die without it? 2. Will I earn money because of it?

I have continued to purchase smart business purchases because in the long run they will help me pay things off even faster. I feel like this tool has saved me money...not cost me money. But I say that because we bind quilts and cut the binding with the strip cutter. I pay my employee an hourly wage. That machine has saved me a fortune in $$ and in fabric because it cuts it right the first time. Only you can decide if it would save you money...or cost you money ;)

Mary Beth, gotta crack up! "I, unlike most of you, have a huge closet full of fabric". I have a closet and a cabinet and my fat quarters in four large containers. Are we fellow fabric-holics (yes we are!) I've got a lousy right thumb and a pulled left shoulder and I do have the Go. I do NOT put a lot of fabric on the cutter at the same time - that's what hurts when turning it. Maybe four at the most.

I've just picked up a new tool at a local quilt fair that I use if I have strips to cut and don't want to use the Go:

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/GuidelinesAdvantage.html

So far so really good!

Archived