Fabric Reccomendations

I am in need of some help. I recently have opened my own fabric shop. I currently carry Timeless Treasures fabrics. My dilema is that my stock is beginning to resemble a novelty emporium! Not that I am complaining, I adore my fabrics. However, I am researching other fabrics to carry and would love some input. Can any one help?

Gosh there are alot. Seach Quilt fabric links in Search engine.

Some that come to mind are

Hoffman

Benartex (They carry the REAL MINKEE) I love their fabrics

Moda

SewBatiks Awsome colors in Batiks

Thimbleberries

Lunn Fabrics

RJR fabrics.

Hope this helps alittle.

For some samples go to www.fatquartershop.com

There are many more. I have a list of websites at home and I'll try to email them to you this week.

Maywood studios have very nice collections , depends on your customers what they like .

I love my local quilt shop , they carrier over 4000 blolts and we only have 1000 plus people in town.......... People come from all over to shop here . I am truly blessed to have a local quilt shop that you can get almost every thing you need .

Maybe you could ask one of you friends to help you pick out fabric to sell that way it won't be just what you favor . Two minds are always better then one or so they say [who ever they are ] Good luck hope you shop does well .

Carol Currier

Port Orford , Or

I'd like to second the recommendation of Sandra G for Andover fabrics. They are like fine silk percale. And I LOVE the Jellies designs by Gail Kessler for them.

I picked up a lot of other ideas of brands to look for from this thread. Even though I'm not a long-armer, I love this forum!

I would suggest that you pick a theme that you want to focus on (ie novelty, folk art, shabby chic). This should be a theme you like that other quilt shops in your area do not focus on.

Your customers will get to know your specialty, remember quilting shops are destination location so this approach works.

Perhaps it is novelty fabrics; you can display them in a way that they look interesting and not so busy. If you were to group them by color or theme it can look really focused.

I was an interior designer for a major retailer and it is all about a theme right now.

Have a walk through a mall you like to get ideas of how they keep all the chaos grouped in sections and organized by theme or ?look?. It is the same design principals in any retail store just different applications.

Good luck, I am sure it will all come together.

While reading about fabric lines preferred by some, Northcott came up twice as having a wonderful 'silky' feel to it. I'd have to add my preference for Northcott, as well.

While a lot of quality fabrics were mentioned, Northcott fabrics consistently have a quality weight and silky finish. I'll often seek out Northcott fabrics first, if I'm not looking at any particular line, colour, etc. Red Rooster fabrics, IMHO, are right up there, too, in their quality.

Good question!

Carolyn

Archived