Are these useful rulers?

I was thinking of buying a couple of rulers.

The Itty Bitty for SID:

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=212&rn=2194&action=show_detail

and the Soft Wave Template (for feather spines):

https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=212&rn=1767&action=show_detail

Now Bonnie indicated in a previous post that she likes to freehand her feather spines so that they don't look so perfect. Is that the general concensus?

I thought I would ask the questions before I spend money on tools I won't use.

If you use these tools and like them please let me (and everyone else on the forum) know.

Originally posted by carolinequilts

Now Bonnie indicated in a previous post that she likes to freehand her feather spines so that they don't look so perfect. Is that the general concensus?

Yes, this is what I said and do when I am doing meandering feathers. When I do feathers in a border then I use a wave ruler or I draw a line down the center of the border and just freehand a wave in the sashing/border. This is when I want my feathers to be pretty equal on both sides of the spine.

The ITTY BITTY....love it...and use it all the time.

post--13461903447087_thumb.jpg

I love the Itty Bitty and also find the Dainty Ditcher useful. I don't use a ruler to stitch spines for feathers. Since the spacing in a border varies, I will mark the spines to fit using several methods. The wave rulers are useful only if they fit the area you are stitching. Did that make sense? I might have a wavy ruler to sell. Let me check my ruler rack.

I have both the soft wave, and the Dainty Ditcher, which I thought was the itty Bitty ruler.

I use both quite a bit..The soft wave, when I use it, I seldom follow exactly along it, wandering a bit here and there, but trying to keep fairly close to the middle of the border, or sashing I'm doing. It's while I'm putting this spine onto a larger area, that I branch off with several other spines.. not all from the same spot to star.

RitaR

Hi Myrna. I think that Shannon's set has two discs and Beth isn't quite sure about hers. I went to your store and checked out your items as well, but I found a supplier here in Canada where I could buy many of the same items. I try buy from within Canada as much as possible because then I don't have to worry about the hassles of customs, and exchange, otherwise I would have ordered through your site.

I'm looking forward to watching your video. I haven't done any custom quilting yet because my feathers are not great, and most customers expect feathers as soon as the word 'custom' is meantioned.

Thanks for the tips on the rulers. Sounds like they are worthwhile and will help me once I start on those feathers!

Archived