I have used 3.5 needles, sometimes successfully. I know a lot of people use them all the time. My problem with them was that when my timing was SLIGHTLY off, I had stitch problems. I became very frustrated trying to figure out what was wrong, and was about to toss Princess Stitchy out the window!!

Luckily, I watched the maintenance video instead, and discovered the problem was my timing and the slightly smaller needle was the straw that broke the camel's back as far as stitch quality. With the 4.0 needle, the timing problem was "masked".

The MR 4.0 does not flex as much as the smaller needles and many quilters tend to overdrive their machine. Sometimes this causes issues with flexing the needle into the hook. We use MR 3.5 needles here at Country Lane about 99% of the time. With the machine timed to a 4.0 you can easily go up or down .5.

John

I have been using 3.0 needles in my machine all week. I just have to turn them slightly to the left in order for the timing to be right. Weird I know.

Anyway, they do leave a smaller hole, but they break when you get to overlapping seams sometimes.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

I use a 4.0 almost exclusively, but when I work on batiks I go down to a 3.5 for the sake of the smaller hole. 4.0 os a sturdy all pupose the seems to better with thread not breaking, etc.

From day 1 I have always had thread breakage, better now that I have put another pigtail between my take-up and next pigtail..........

Raquel,

I ordered them from Kingsmen or Nancy's Notions. The package says Innova/ MUVA Made in Germany. I just had to specify which machine I had and they sent the right needles. The only problem is you have to use So Fine or something similar because the eye is small.

Teresa

www.chickenscratchquilting.com

Thanks for the advice. I have tried the 3.5 needles and am having no trouble using them. I have had a Gammill Optimum since 1999 and used any size needle I wanted. It just never occurred to me you had to avoid different sizes. I always choose the needle to match the thread I was using. I really can't understand someone inventing a sewing machine that only uses one size of needle! Mostly I was afraid of breaking something the very first week I had my new machine...guess I'll have to get over that. Many thanks for all the suggesstions.

Katie -

For a Batik quilt I always put in a new needle and a 3.5, never have tried

a 3.0 - not sure about that. The 3.5 is great, smaller hole and works well

with "Rainbows" thread which really shine on Batik fabric!Good Luck -

It will look great!

I did have a problem with the last batch of needles I purchased through

APQS - every single row - on a Batik quilt - the needle would get a burr or

a hook on the tip. Almost like it was hitting something and getting dull.

Put in a different brand - Groz-Beckert - No more problems! I do NOT want

to have to put a new needle in for every row! I have these needles in 3

sizes, 16 (3.5) 18 (4.0) and 19 (which I have not tried yet) Ordered them

from Kingsmen website.

• 1 month later...

I have a new question? What about titanium needles, I hear they are so smooth. Has anyone tried these? I would like to know if anyone has any and would you please share your experience with them. I heard they break less, less deflection and they go into the fabric like it's butter. Cost alittle more and are well worth it. Where can I get them?

Archived