diagonal ruler work - help

PeggyB

Use a ruler with something to secure it--sticky spray, rubber dots, sandpaper dots, Press-and-Seal, etc. Hold it down with the flat of your hand with a finger or two on the edge. Use a base extender if you have one. Stitch, stop, move the ruler, stitch again. Don't stitch and move the ruler at the same time until you build your skills and confidence. Lastly, use thread that doesn't show!!;):P:P:P:

Do you have a family member or friend that is handy? Or maybe you are! :) Here's a link to a previous thread where I show a picture of a rotating crosshatch ruler that DH made for me. I haven't seen any further posts so don't know if Linda and Dennis Rech have pursued making something like this to sell. The ruler DH made helped me tremendously and I was able to get nice straight lines of stitching.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=18976&page=1#pid224682

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, this question is kinda along the same lines. I have my 1st bargello to do. The colors form a big X, using the entire quilt, and that divides the the rest into 4 triangles, top, bottom and both sides. Anyway, I want to quilt with wavy lines through the colors but I can't load it in any way that starts and stop at an edge. What would you do......go as far as you can and then sneak across a seam to the next color......or roll back and forth..(that would sure be alot of rolling) or what......... It's all on the diagonal and I was planning on using a small wavy ruler. Also....planning on using a varigated thread.

I really do need some advice from you guys with more experience. Thanks in advance

LeAnn in WI

With using variagated thread...I would think that you would notice the starts/stops if you were only to reach as far as the section in front of you. But then...you could just knot and bury and then pull the thread to a color that seemed to match that of the stop. Know what I mean?

I do not believe that I would advance the quilt and continue until a full section was completed though! Did I help ya?

Archived