Where to deal with customers?

I am going to be space challenged with my business. I will be working out of our attached garage (it's finished, heated and cooled) but I have to share that space with a couple of freezers, and 2 walls of pantry space.

My house is pretty small too. There are no quilt shops in my area, so doing pickups and drop offs there isn't an option. What would be the best way for me to handle this? Have them come into the garage so they can choose threads, pantos, etc?

Hi again, CJ! I don't have a "studio" either! My quilting machine is in my dining room! My customers just come in through my living room and into my dining room! No one has ever made comment about 'where' they come to bring me their quilts and it is good to have the room to drape the quilt over the frame and measure it. I ALWAYS measure the quilt while they are there!! And the backing! Even if they say they know the size and tell you! I've had a quilt be off a couple of inches from what they have thought it was. And with the backing, you'll be sure it is big enough.... some folks just THINK they have the right amount.... saves a phone call later to the customer! :) I think you will do just fine!!! linda

If you have insurance and the proper licenses to have customers in your residence, that is the best place. All your goodies, thread, work-in-progress on the frame, and perhaps samples are there for your customers to see. Have stitched samples or at least self-drawn samples of what you are offering available to view.

Another bonus--if you know a customer is coming, you will vacuum, empty the waste basket, dust, and tidy up--it's the only thing that keeps me ahead of monster batting-bunnies and a mountain of books and papers that accumulate on my table as resources and inspiration. A nice clean studio will show your customer that you are professional and will take good care of their quilt.

Good luck as you start your business/adventure!:)

I meet with my customers in my living room, which is just inside the front door. I don't let them into my studio because it is in the basement and most of the basement is still unfinished. My studio is finished but at the other end of the basement so they would have to walk through the not so nice area. Anyway, the dining room works just fine. I keep a book there with the panto selection and thread colors that I have. I also make sure the house is in order and even light a vanilla candle to make it smell nice.

Jess

I really like to have may studio clean and organized. I just work better that way. I have a room for my fabric with a cutting table in the center of it so the door can be shut on my mess if need be. I have a couch and a couple of chairs in the main room where my LA is along with my sewing machine and desk. So that works well for discussing things with my customers. My biggest down fall is when customers come to drop off a quilt or pick one up three hours later they are leaving. It's just so much fun to visit with them...people who have the same "illness" as I do. You will have so much fun in this business. Again, good luck!

Well, it's probably a good thing my sewing "rooms" are separate from the longarm in the garage! I have all my sewing machines, fabric, "toys" etc upstairs, in both guest rooms... I've pretty much taken over the upper level of the house. If I took a customer up there, we'd never get anything done!

When I had my 400 square foot studio, I had a dividing wall half was customer okay, and the other half was where my machines and stuff was. I would tell them that the insurance wouldn't let them behind the wall just in case something happen, like they step on a pin or trip over something. I had my tiny area big enough to measure in and clean enough so that they didn't have worry about that part, and I always had candles burning or air fresh stuff... even one smoky quilt in that tiny space would make the whole room stink, so I kept it handy for that reason.

The reason the wall went up other than insurance, was a few pretend customers would come in and acted as if they were interested in my quilting for them, but they were just scoping out the place to see my set up. I would have gladly helped them if they asked, but to be sneaky didn't set well, and I felted insulted.

Hi CJ,

Please Run---don't walk and buy this wonderful inexpensive book at Longarm University by Cindy Roth. It is the best little book I've ever read on quilting as a business.

"Pricing for Your Longarm Quilting Business" A Collection of Articles from a Professional Long Arm Quilter. Cindy Roth.

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/

Articles include:

How Much are your REALLY Making?

How CAN I Earn More $$ From My Quilting?

Calculating the Cost of Thread

Pricing Commission Quilts

Binding Quilts~More $$ for YOu!

Cindy lays it out plain & simple and easy to understand terms. The How Much are You Really Making chapter was the most informing---and revealing. I'm not affiliated or promoting this book---it's just the best book (enlightening)-- I've read on the subject.

:o

Originally posted by cjtinkle

Hmmm... is having them in the "work" area a problem with insurance? I haven't spoken with my insurance agent yet.

It was for me...as our insurance only covered employees, not customers who were in the "WORK" area. Its like when you take your car to the garage for work...you sit in the waiting area, your not out there under the cars.

Insurance is sometimes tricky. If they are to be only in your studio (separate from the residence) be sure to tell your agent. Coverage should be for customer injury and also perhaps extra coverage for your machine and supplies plus damage/loss of quilt tops due to whatever you can imagine. Normally, loss of a quilt top will only pertain to value of the fabric and not the piecing labor involved.

Shop around for insurance--most agents don't even know what category to put your business under. Is it considered a service or manufacturing? That answer will come from your state laws. That is another question to ask one of your local longarm contacts. But be sure you are obeying all local and state laws pertaining to taxes.

Don't be afraid to do this. You will be cheerfully helping others through this maze in a few years!!

I already bought it, and the other one she has as well. They're in the mail!

Originally posted by Sparkle

Hi CJ,

Please Run---don't walk and buy this wonderful inexpensive book at Longarm University by Cindy Roth. It is the best little book I've ever read on quilting as a business.

"Pricing for Your Longarm Quilting Business" A Collection of Articles from a Professional Long Arm Quilter. Cindy Roth.

www.LongarmUnivercity.com

Articles include:

How Much are your REALLY Making?

How CAN I Earn More $$ From My Quilting?

Calculating the Cost of Thread

Pricing Commission Quilts

Binding Quilts~More $$ for YOu!

Cindy lays it out plain & simple and easy to understand terms. The How Much are You Really Making chapter was the most informing---and revealing. I'm not affiliated or promoting this book---it's just the best book I've ever down to earth book (enlightening)-- I've read on the subject.

:o

Archived