not so curvy curves

anniemueller

Using temporary registration marks (purple pen, or blue pen) will help. You can take a long strip of adding machine tape and fold it into increments to measure even distance along the sashing and then mark where the creases are.

Also going slower might help. You could also temporarily add a wedge of batting under the length of the leveler bar to slow down the movement of your machine on the carriage. This gives you more control.

Another option is to use rulers to help guide you. Depending on the arc you want to make you can use an oval or the edge of a larger circle template

There are some nice wavy rulers from Off the Edge.

Another thought would be to come back over your lines a second time, but slighty offsetting them--making it look like a wavy ribbon--that way the bumps wouldn't be quite so noticeable. They would then look like they were supposed to be that way.

What you did is not easy to do freehand. I don't even try to do that. To get it near perfect you would have to premark all those curves with a ruler and used a ruler to follow the lines when sewing. You should take a Sue Patten Class on sashings. She has plenty of easy alternatives that look fantastic. She should be at MQS. I've seen her handouts and they are wonderful.

I think hollyc is talking about the Bohin pencils??

I use Clover Chaco liner in white and it bounces right off, or brushes off. It's got a little wheel in it and it looks like a fat marker. The wheel is like the wheels for tracing wheels we used to use for tracing paper on patterns. You know, back in the stone age!!:P:P

Originally posted by Bekah

Annie, I really like your little heart feathers. they are unique and lovely and fun

thanks Bekah. I recently took a microstippling class from Sharon Schamber. She taught us to do the heart echo'd twice on a 45 degree path. It was easy in micro-size on my Bernina, a little trickier on Millie because the space I wanted to fill was bigger than the machine's stitching space.

By the way, there are a lot of simlar stippling designs on www.daystyledesigns.com/365project

Archived