Needle timing issue

Hi everyone. I just posted but it disappeared.

I am having some issues with my Milli. We have retimed but when I stitch now I hear a definate click when the needle hits the hook assembly and I don't think it is right. I think dh has it set so the needle deflects too much. Of course we disagree but I don't want to ruin my machine because we disagree. Help! I want to get this quilt done.

Lynda in Golden BC

Bringing this back p to the top.

I have the same problem........... retimed the machine - no problems there, but now have a clicking noise/sound. I have nice stitches, but a lot of clicking! (The chirping of the SR drowns this noise out, but I think that is just asking for trouble!!:o)

I would like Amy or Mark or one of the Techies to explain what we did wrong and how to fix it please. (Where is the pathetic, puppy dog eye smiley when you need him!;))

I too have a customer quilt that I need to finish, but don't like the sound of the needle hitting something.

And no Lynda, it is not the hopping foot height - that was checked, new needles used, and the manual has nice pictures and the two day maintenance course was great, but nothing "clicked" there, so we weren't aware of that pit fall. Besides, manuals can only cover so many eventualities. I think this requires a simple answer from one of our experts to tell us what we did incorrect and how to fix it. [i am sure it requires us to tweek our machine's timing again but would like to be sure of that before dismantling machine again. (I know, I am a sookie la-la).]

Cheers,

I think all of the APQS people are in a pep rally today for the reps. Not sure, but I think I read it somewhere. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I think.

I know your bobbin race is supposed to just scrape the needle to pick up the thread. That how Amy explained it to me. It does deflect the needle slightly....... maybe you just didn't hear it before???? I had Amy listen to mine over the phone, and she said yes, that click was OK. I have not had to re time my machine................and I'm not looking forward to it!:o:o

Dear LinneMarie,

Thank you my optimistic friend.......... I m hoping that one of the Techies will say exactly the same thing!

Re-timing is really not so bad, just a little fiddly. I just don't want to have to do it again so soon after my first attempt.:)

It is the not knowing if a sound is "normal" or not. It is a bit more difficult for us to 'phone Amy. One of the problems of living half a world away. (Sue of course is living it up in the US in the moment - at least she should be!;))

Cheers,

Well, apparently the clicking noise came from the needlebar. I ran over a very thick seam junction on the last quilt I did and limped along until it was finished. Lots of thread shredding and skipped stitches but I didn't hear a clicking until dh adjusted the timing. The hook was not passing halfway on the scarf of the needle as described in the book but was making contact with it much higher up. So he had readjusted the needle bar to the correct height, Millie had a bath and good cleaning and I am just about done this quilt. Yahoo. I am afraid to celebrate though because I don't want to jinx my machine.

I would still like to hear from the reps to hear their explanation.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. What a great place to hang out.

Lynda in Golden BC

Hi Lynda,

Nice to see you here! You can always pick up the phone and call me if you have a question or a "challenge". ;) 604-847-9500

It sounds like you've got it figured out. The FIRST place to check for retiming is the height of your needle bar. If you hit a ruler or something, it will sometimes push your needle bar up and that's the ONLY thing you have to readjust. It's really hard to put the rotary hook out of time.

ALWAYS insert a new needle before re-timing. The old one may be bent just enough that you can't see it, and you'll have trouble getting ANYthing right.

I'm pretty sure the clicking you heard was the hook hitting the needle too high up.

Archived