White little balls of batting on back

Hey everyone--I have been noticing some white little balls of batting on the back of some of my quilts. I tried a smaller needle and it seemed to help--I also used a thinner/lighter thread. I have seen some other APQS longarmers out there with the same problem. Does anyone have a solution for me? It isn't that big of a deal, but I am a perfectionist and this isn't good on a dark back.

THanks,

Luv2kwilt

APQS MILLENNIUM

I only had this problem once, and it turns out I had the batting upside down. It was the first time I had used Quilter's Dream and I didn't realize that there was a right and wrong side. Maybe that was your problem as well. Or maybe your needle was large and your fabric was tightly woven, that leaves needle holes.

Teresa

I had this happen only once. I am convinced it was the BACKING fabric. I have used the same batting many times without this problem

Pay attention to the right and wrong sides of the Batting.

Some Battings that easily pull apart with gentle tugs will beard I am told but I avoid such battings.

Check the backing fabric. If is is thinned ( you can really feel it) it could be that.

I have had this happen with several battings- I also believe it is the backing fabric that causes the problem. Recently I quilted a king sized batik quilt with batik backing. Hobbs 80/20, Quilter's Dream 70/30 Blend, QD 100% cotton all poked through. I finally used QD Poly and it was perfect. Always do a tension test through the batting and backing off on the side of the quilt and look underneath. It is much easier to change the batting if you need to before you quilt a row!!!

Archived