Millenium stitch direction

I am in the process of purchasing a longarm machine. I like the floor size needed for the HQ16, but I think that I am leaning towards a Millenium. Besides other features, it's bobbin thread cutter appeals to me!

An area quilt shop offers lessons on their Millenium machine. The shop owner told me that quilting needs to be directionally sewn starting from left and moving towards right ...should not be sewn directionally from the quilt's right side towards it's left side because of where the machine's tension is located.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the sewing direction really an issue with the Millenium? I could sew starting from the left edge working my way towards the right edge, if nesessary, for proper stitching. However, I am a lefty and think that moving from a quilt's right side towards its left might be a more user friendly option if you're left handed.

2) Does anyone have experience using an after market "Thread Genie" multiple thread tension machine attachment (it attaches to the machine's head where it replaces the existing tension)? Would this gadget work well on either a Millenium or HQ16 machine head?

It looks like a useful tool for people who enjoy sewing with a variety of decorative threads having different weights and textures. Most tension adjustments would occur once... when you install and pre-set the Thread Genie's multiple tensions... adjusted for each of your preferred thread using one tension, maybe momofilament with another tension, and other specialty threads using the remaining tensions. Of course, just like the original tension, fine tuning might be necessary from time to time, but it could potentially save tension adjustment time when reverting back to regular quilting thread.

I would like to sew art quilts. It sounds good to me...might not be worth the effort and price...anyone have any experience with a Thread Genie?

I have had my Millennium for almost 3 years and I have never heard that you should only go left to right. In fact, on pantographs I typically do my first row in one direction, the next row in the opposite direction, and so on. It works great both ways. Sometimes I start in the middle and work out towards the borders. In other words, it sews beautifully in all directions, even in circles. Others on this forum can speak to the technical aspects of the Millennium but I can assure you that you will not be limited by what direction you sew.

As for the tension, I have never had any problems adjusting the tension to match my threads. There is a tool that some owners use to test the tension but I simply use the "bobbin drop" method and then sew a little test pattern on the outside edge. Regardless of the method you use, I think you will find it very easy to master.

If you are designing small art quilts then the Millennium might be more than you need. However, if you are working on larger quilts then you would be very happy with this machine. It is definitely the best on the market and I know you would be very happy with its' performance. You will also love this forum. It is full of many supportive and talented quilters that are ready and willing to help you on your journey.

Please keep us posted on what you decide.

Happy Quilting,

Jean is right. It doesn't matter which direction you sew although pretty much all LA machines are going to prefer going left to right because of how the bobbin works.

Although there are many reasons to buy a Millennium over other LAs, I wouldn't put that much weight on the thread cutter. I thought it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread myself when I bought my machine and I hardly ever use it.

Sorry, can't help you with the tech questions re HQ16, but if you are into art quilts, there are LOTS of cool things you could do with your Millennium. Cathy Franks is the queen of this kind of stuff -- I took a class with her at MQX in April and learned a lot.

Sara

I agree with that last post here. I don't like how short it leaves the bobbin

tail. I have used is a couple of times when in the middle, at at the start of

a quilt, but I perfer to knot it, pull up the bobbin and then snip it.

As I am quilting I start with my needle down, so that if I need to stop any

where along a row, my needle will stop down, making my start up easier,

but then, I would forget that you can NOT use the thread cutter with the

needle down.... oh well.... I just don't use it!

I found that if I move the machine head away from the last stitches and THEN cut the thread, I don't have problems with the bobbin being too short. And while I always wonder about "the right direction", My APQS machine would probably stitch upside down if I needed it to. I work in both directions with no problem. It's usually the PANTO that has the direction, and you need to be consious of the orientation of the quilt. Some pantos have a direction, and if you are mounting the quilt in a particular direction (yes there is a "top" and a bottom" to most quilts, they you have to pay attention...

Cynthia

On the instruction video I received with my Millennium it mentions that the machine "works best" if moved left to right. I have done both and do not find a difference in the stitching.

I too am a lefty and it does not seem to make a difference. I guess it is just a matter of what you get use to.

It is kind of like driving a car, you can turn both left and right !

Good luck

Hi Genie:

I have only been useing my Milli. for a month, but I do know that I could live with out the thread cutter but NOT the Sitch reg.

As for only going from left to right, I cann't be done ;)

witch side is left when you are in front, & witch is left front the back, plus most panto's work either from left or right & if the bobbin would alot more thread you could panto a whole quilt top to bottom with out cutting the thread even once, to bad that the bobbins are so small.

As for the information you get from instructors, teachers or anyone else for that matter, not all of it is correct, or will work or be of use to you. So just take it all in use what you need /& what makes sence to you , then chuck the rest. If they were right, you will figure it out soon enough. Whats makes sence to one person dosen't allways work for someone else. & in the case of lefty vs. righty you must of allready figured out that you must do somethings a little differantly just to make it in a right handed world.

Good luck in picking the right mach. for you, but from every thing I've read, alot of gals start out with a smaller machine like the HQ & get frustrated because of the limitations the smaller machines have, then sell it & get bigger & better. You could do a search on this forum for the HQ and see what others have said, it may help you make the right move.

It took me just two months of reading & asking questions to find the milli. was right for me, but I've heard from many people that they have taken up to 10 years to decide what machine was right for them.

I hope this helped you a little best of luck :)

Wow...thanks to all for the great input!

Norece- Switching over to a Millenium within months of owning a HQ16 tells me a lot! That is great help towards my decision making. I'd rather pay once for a machine that can handle my quilting needs. Starting smaller and then discovering that I need to trade up to a bigger machine would be time consuming and sounds more spendy then just purchasing one machine that does the job. I really need to know this stuff to make a "best" (not absolutely right) choice.

I'm confused about the thread cutter...I love it on my sewing machine, so I thought that I'd want it on a longarm too. :o

Judi-It sounds like the thread cutter won't in the needle down position. I too would probably choose to sew using needle down but wonder if I couldn't just switch to needle up and then use the cutter. Does the cutter simply disengage in the needle down position, or would it attempt to cut and colide with the needle.

It sounds like everyone agrees that the stitching direction isn't an issue...that's great!:)

I should clarify that the shop lady (a quilter...not a longarm salesperson) said that it is manual recommended that you sew left towards right when facing the machine and move from the right towards the left when sewing from the backside of the machine. The sewing direction would always be moving towards the same end of the frame. (moving into the side with the upper thread tension, not pulling away from the tension)

I'm not sure why people say you should sew left to right in the front of the machine or right to left when in back of the machine because with almost every quilt I do I am going in the opposite direction and in circles half of the time anyway. I bought the Millie because I liked the thread cutter and I do use it all of the time. It's the most convenient when at the end of a row because you just cut and run. I also back off a little when I want to pull the bobbin thread up, cut it and then hide it. It's a great feature. I only quilt piece w/my Juki because it has an automatic thread cutter also. I always start a row from the same direction but am not sure why it SHOULD be front the left or right.

I usually start pantos on the right and stitch toward the left and go left to right on the front of the machine. I seem to have less little tension problems that way if I'm doing longer lines or large curves. Geneally it works well either directions. I never use my thread cutter because it saves me time not to have to go back and trim all those threads when I'm finished with a quilt. I just pull them up and cut both threads at the same time. Never thought about taking it off the machine. jeri

Cynthia:

Geraldine here, what I said badly was that to quilt only right to left is not possible, because if you stand at the back, right to left is one thing & if you stand at the front it would be left to right & that just because someone said that you have to it her way dosn't mean that you do. & of course my Milli & I swing both ways, I'd be a mess if we couldn't.

Sorry, some times I think what I say sounds prefectly correct & smart, but of course that not always true. ;)

P.S. I think that the thread cutter wouldn't work with the needle down is because it would hit the needle, I may be wrong.

Archived