Insurance?

Thanks, Angela. My husband was in the Army in the 60's, so I guess that counts.

The national account people from Nationwide called me back this afternoon and said they feel they CAN insure me, but I would have to talk to someone locally. They called a local agency and conferenced me in. Well, lo and behold, after the national rep joined the three of us to the call, she said good-bye and hung up. The agent asked me my name..humm, the voice was familiar. I gave my name, and the line went dead! The %&*X! hung up on me. It happened to be the rep I was talking to for the last 2 weeks that told me Nationwide could not provide liability insurance to me.

I was fit to be tied! I called Nationwide back and explained what happened and they gave me the number of an agent in the Philly suburbs. I called him and he said he will get back to me tomorrow. I hope this time it works out.

Originally posted by sandradarlington

.........The agent asked me my name..humm, the voice was familiar. I gave my name, and the line went dead! The %&*X! hung up on me. It happened to be the rep I was talking to for the last 2 weeks that told me Nationwide could not provide liability insurance to me.... I was fit to be tied!

:o :o :o What the ... HUH???? :o:mad::(

Sandy, if I were you I would not let this go lightly. I would report this to a higher level. This is way beyond unacceptable ! Grrrr!!!

And you should demand an apology from that numbskull

Thanks for the support Shana and Heidi. Yes...I was ready to "spit!"

Joyce..thanks so much for that info. We've had Nationwide for our cars and house since the early-mid 70's, and up untiil this new agent, we've been happy.

So today, I waited all day for the newest new guy to call me back, as he promised yesterday. I was so busy at work that each time I thought of sneaking away into a private conference room this afternoon, someone would call and I could not get away. Before I knew it, it was 5:30 (I'm done at 5). Well this other guy from Nationwide never called me either!!! Now I'm really annoyed. I can try on Monday, but then I'll be away for MQX.

Another thing that is bothering me is that my accountant, who I really like and trust, said he mailed all the paperwork to me last Thursday. All I needed to do was sign it and write a few checks for the licenses and mail them in. Well, we had a substitute mailman this week who was getting everyone's mail to the wrong house. Keep in mind, I am in the city, so there are a bazillion houses on my street. Well, I didn't get any mail for 2 days! I should have received the packet on Saturday, or Monday at the latest. (I also didn't get 2 of my credit card bills....the kind that have my account numbers printed on them. ) When I get back from MQX we will start over again with the paperwork to set up the business. Urgggghhhh!

I am really feeling that this is not meant to happen. I am so discouraged and annoyed.

Hi Terry.

I put my longarm business under a "services" category. I think it was something akin to tailoring. I did not feel like I manufactured but instead provided a value-added service. Yours may be better??? Because I do not own the "raw materials"( the customer does), I went with service.

Can I ask why you selected the manufacturer category?

Thanks!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

NJ

Thanks for the note, Vicki.

Shana, I'm sure once I get away to MQX, nothing will bother me for the rest of the week. I thought the insurance guy would perhaps try to reach me today. Some people work on Saturday, but no call. Maybe he'll call next week. I gave him my cell phone number.

I have been running around in circles for the last few MONTHS trying to start a business. It's been a real "Murphy's Law" situation. If it can go wrong, it did. I guess I just need to take a break from it for a few weeks and then start again.

• 5 months later...

CJ just ask for an umbrella policy.. we had a 2 mill on the rigs.. just to make sure we didn't get hung if in an accident.. really didn't cost much either. Our Ins. man said if they asked, that you have a lot of people in and out and want to make sure they are covered, (that refered to the RV) and often have others items in your home..

Good luck..

I too am an insurance agent by day and quilter by night. Rates varies by state and coverages by company. Most Homeowners policies limit business personal property (your machines, computer and supplies) to $2500 on premises and $250 off premises. Some offer an endorsement to increase those limits, but usually not enough to cover your quilting machine. Our commercial policy in Wisconsin, with $500 ded, $60,000 in business property, $10,000 property of others and $2,000,000 liability limit is $500 a year. You need liability coverage, even if you meet people off your premises. Let's say they slip and fall coming into the building to meet you. If they are seriously hurt, a good lawyer will not only sue the owner of the building , but you as well. Liability coverage is usually countrywide and sometimes world wide. We have a discount for having our farm and auto coverage with the same company. Also WI has a very low litigation (law suit rate) as does Iowa and most mid west states. So the rates reflect that. Coastal states have a very high litigation rate - so the rates would be higher in those states.

Keep looking - call an independent agent that has numerous companies. You will find the coverage you need. Although the quote you have with the $500 deductible is not out of line.

Jane

• 3 months later...

I was also concerned about liability. My longarm etc are all in my basement and customers must go down stairs. Also we live on a farm and I was concerned about a fall on ice in winter.

Worked for a lawyer for 5 years. This was my solution. Gave my business a name and formed a limited liability company. It protects the farm and us should there be a problem (check with atty in your state.) I have to charge sales tax but that is only right but I also get my supplies at wholesale because I have a tax license. I also think it lets people know this is a business for me not a hobby as I am just starting out. Sending in taxes isn't difficult. Had a tax person look over my Quick Books set up one time and do it all on my own now.

I was able to get business insurance for all my equipment and liability for customer quilts and for them. No the insurance wasn't a bargain but it is peace of mind.

Just my two cents worth.

• 8 months later...

I too am an insurance agent by day and quilter by night. Our commercial policy in Wisconsin, with $500 ded, $60,000 in business property, $10,000 property of others and $2,000,000 liability limit is $500 a year.Jane

Jane, what business class code are you using for your policy I have only seen 2 listed, 42192 and 42231. I have tried for years to get my agent to inccrease the coverage on my equipment, trying several different companies, but they always come back saying they can't find any company willing to cover me equipment formore than 25,000 or maybe 50,000. I have a computerized longarm and multiple embroidery machines.

I'm curous from each of the people postingon this insurance thread what business lass code your agent used to write your policy. If you don't kow, you should find out. Perhaps you could get a better quote if you used a different "correct" code.

Mindy

Archived