a pin???

Oooo--I got shivers and a flashback with this one!! I lost a self-threading needle while quilting a baby quilt a hundred years ago. I literally massaged the quilt quarter-inch by quarter-inch in a grid pattern and enlisted my sister to repeat the process--trying to find it. While agonizing about the missing needle, and two days before scheduled pick-up, I was on my hands and knees on the floor with a flashlight and a magnet when I found the needle. I still have nightmares about this.:o

Had I not found the needle, I would never have returned the quilt. How would that conversation have gone?

The needle used to live on a magnet on my machine. No longer!

Yup, this happened on a quilt that I did for a friend...she found it several months after I returned it to her. It was one of those pins with the yellow ball on top. Her husband managed to pull the head off the pin and pull the pin part out of the quilt. I double and triple check for pins whenever I roll a quilt now!

Lynne Bowbeer

Lynne's Red Boot Quiltery

Ann Arbor, MI

I recently had a customer who had pinned some of her seams down on the underside of the quilt top as I think she was going to press those seams again and then she forgot to take the pins out before she gave the top to me. I kept finding the pins as I was pressing the top before loading it. I had visions of throwing my timing completely out of wack by hitting one. I almost missed one but caught it as I was rolling to my last row. Not a good thing.

Oh I am so extremely careful about anything being on the quilt at any time. Scissors, rulers, my pins... I am super duper cautious. I've never lost a pin (or found one later) in a quilt. however, I did recently find a straight pin in the seam allowance that my customer forgot to pull out. Glad I found that puppy...

I got a call a few months ago asking if I used Flowerhead pins...well yes and I love them I replied. "Well how do you get them out from between the quilt layers ?" said my client. I hadn't even used pins on that quilt. I'm like Shana and take every effort to make sure I have nothing loose but I guess the batting must have picked it up from somewhere. All was good and I'm glad she found it before she sent it to her brother in New Zealand! That would have been an unexpected gift!

If I do use pins on my quilts it is the large long corsage pins....to hard to lose those suckers in a quilt. When I do use them it is just to pin the side temporarily because I have moved the quilt up and basting would be silly on 2 or 3 inches.

I got stuck with a pin in a quilt I made for me. After being stuck, I looked inch by inch and couldn't find it. A few months later (and I use this quilt almost every evening.) I got stuck again. Still, I couldn't find the pin. I asked my husband to look and he covered every inch and didn't find a pin. Another few months passed and I got stuck again. Finally, after searching again I found it and got it out. Those buggers can really hide!

Archived