Avoiding Burn Out??

njquiltergirl

I work full time at my job as a geologist and quilt during the evening and weekends, so no burn out. I take times between jobs and do charity and my own quilts. I initially set my prices as high as I could and that limited the quilts that came in. I am glad I did that, because I did not need the additional stress. When I do get a customer, I can pop it on the machine and be done in a few days. Great really. Just as I planned it. Take care and rest.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marybeth, I took 2 years off of quilting. My Ultimate II just sat there patiently waiting for me to return. I decided after two years, that I was going to sell her.....if I ever played with fabric again I would just send my quilts out to friends with longarms. This was about three years ago, I had a vacation planned and just before we left I sold her.....or so I thought, the pick up was suppose to be when we returned, she changed her mind.

Six months later, I reached my breaking point at my REAL JOB, and took the early out that they offered. After a couple of months I started playing with the fabric in my closet, I made 12 quilts that first year. As word got out I started taking in customer work.

My husband always reminds me how sad it would have been if I had sold my machine.........although this last year I did sell the Ultimate II and bought a new Lenni....... and the Ultimate II sold in less than a week......

Moral of the story is that the quilting fairy will look after you.......and your machine will wait for you to return.:)

• 2 weeks later...

so many wise people, listen to them Mary Beth, take a break, read a good book, go to the gym and enjoy life. We all need breaks from quilting. I work 3 jobs (not including being a wife and mom) and understand. There are months I don't sew or quilt. Than I come back with joy for my work that is my first love:)

Wowza!

I am just starting my quilting business because after homeschooling for 13 years - I wanted to do something for me. I do not want a boss and want to make my own schedule. My hubby works 2 weeks away and 2 weeks home. The plan is to quilt while he is gone and then play while he is here.

I would like to make enough to pay off my machine and gadgets (CL, panto, thread). Haha, is there ever enough gadgets? I have given my self 5 years to pay it off.

I love all of the wonderful comments and advice. I will truely keep these things in mind as I quilt my way through the next 5 years!

Thanks!

Archived