Wanna do a website

Dragonflyquilts

I have been thinking about doing a website with my quilting business, but I am not sure of where to start or what to include. Pricing, pictures, coupon, etc.

I do have free webspace with my ISP and would like to use that since I am a new business starter. I also have access to microsoft publisher.

Would love to have some suggestions.

Tracey Gelbaugh

Dragonfly Quilts

APQS Millenium

Hi Tracey,

I'd suggest looking at the hundreds of existing quilter's websites out there already to get ideas for a) what info to include, and B) what you like, as far as design. Just don't copy! LOL

You won't be able to make a website with Publisher. Yes, I know it says it can, but trust me, you can't. You could put a flyer up, but not a website.

Microsoft's Frontpage is very easy to learn and use. A lot of people poopoo websites built with it, but that's ridiculous in my opinion. In my "former" life, I was a web designer. I worked for the local ISP's as well as contracting quite a bit on my own. I can hand code with the best of them, but in my old age I've gotten lazy, and I love using Frontpage.

My personal website is built in FP (well, most of it is, the journal part is actually all scripted, and separate entirely, but you can't really tell).

To make it even easier, you can purchase pre-built templates, and simply customize them to suit yourself. There are many sites that offer professional looking ones for folks who don't want or can't design a site on their own. A good place to browse some are at http://www.pixelmill.net.

Hope that helps!

Guest Linda S

I made my website (not yet available for public consumption as I'm not in business until probably November) with Frontpage. I also use Dreamweaver at work. You can use just about anything to create a webpage, it's just easier to have software that will readily allow you to install links, etc.

Here is the link to my site: I think it still has the disclaimer on it that says I'm not open for business yet, but if you don't see it, keep that in mind. I'll make sure it's there this evening if it doesn't show up!

http://www.stellarstitches.org/

Linda

Guest Linda S

CJ - I don't know what version of Publisher you have, but in 2003, which I have on my computer, they have a substantial and absolutely wonderful webpage set up especially for personal services work like longarm quilting. Seems like it would be a breeze and, if you can create the files there, there's no reason you can't publish them to the internet. Maybe it won't be a push one button operation (although my bet is that it will be), but it looks awfully slick to me! I'm actually considering re-doing my page using it.

Linda

I have Office XP with Publisher. I am aware of the website publishing "abilities" of the program.

I guess I'll just be blunt then, don't use it. NOt only do those template not look very professional (you don't want that!)but more importantly, they will not perform well under browsers outside of Internet Explorer.

Personally (please don't slam me for this) I think that one should either present a professional front on the internet, or not at all. If it's a hobby, then who cares, it's just for fun. If you're doing it as a business, then put your best foot forward, or risk people not taking you seriously.

Honestly, I may be a bit anal about this; we live in a very remote area, town is an hour away for me, and so I tend to conduct 95% of my business electronically.

If you're going to have an internet presence related to your business, and even if it's just EMAIL... for heaven's sake treat just like you would a storefront in the middle of town.

I emailed both quilt shops in Springfield last week with a couple of questions, one answered 4 days later, the other not at all. That just is not acceptable. In that amount of time, I could find an online shop that WILL service my needs, place my order, and have it delivered already.

So give it some thought, make sure you can handle the additional time having an online presence will require of you.

You wouldn't expect a customer to buy and be thrilled with your very first quilt top that you slaved for days over, full of imperfections, would you? They won't want to shop with you if your website looks less than professional either.

It does not have to be fancy, or full of bells and whistles.

Okay, off my rant now, sorry :)

CJ --

I am not planning a website at this time but expect to need one if (when) I eventually move and need to rebuild a local business. I really appreciate the information and your honest appraisals of the software. This is not an area of my expertise, to say the least, so any information that helps me avoid costly or embarrassing missteps is valuable. Thank you.:D

Mary

CJ, good tips. If you've ever checked out her personal web page, you'll see she's knows of what she speaks! ;) Her personal web page is great -- draws you in, very informative and no clutter. I can only imagine what her business site will look like. CJ knows what she's doing with web page construction . . I do not. I've managed to get one up and running and I am not sure how I did it except to say Front Page really is great!

Here are a couple of thoughts I have.

1. When you get hits on your webpage, however they find you, chances are they're just looking and there needs to be something on your web page that really attracts them. I think first and foremost, as CJ said, it needs to look professional -- clean, easy to navigate, all links working. I have a picture of my quilt on my main page that has been winning ribbons and it's a good attention getter. Remember that if someone has just stumbled across your page, yours is probably not the only page they're viewing and you need to get their attention, keep their attention and make sure they know YOU are the best longarmer for them.

2. Again as CJ mentioned, respond quickly! When someone sends you an e-mail with business questions, chances are they've sent that same e-mail to several of us and it may just be that the first one who responds is the proverbial bird that gets the worm. I take frequent breaks and the only chair in my quilting room is the one at my computer so I check mail at least 6 or 8 times a day and even though personal e-mail responses sometimes get put off til the evening, business inquiries are answered immediately.

Building a nice web page will take a good bit of time if you are not familiar with the process but it really is your window to all the non-local business you'll get so approach it just as diligently as you do learning to use your machine. I think the web page is part of your reputation also.

Thanks Judy, you're very kind! I don't put a ton of time or effort into my personal site because it is after all, just for fun :) And to keep my absent hubby feeling kinda like he's home :)

I had a somwhate related thought; what about porfolio's? I can see a huge need for those, both online and offline. How does everyone handle those?

Granted, I understand you must have permission from the quilt owner to publish their top with your quilting. Any excellent software for doing this?

CJ - Portfoloios of some sort would be great . . especially when starting ouf. I wouldn't go to a lot of time and expense on preparing a portfolio though because one you've been in business for a short time, you'll be turning away as much business as you accept. No need to spend money and time trying to get business when you can't handle what you already have . . just my opinion.

I used to have a nice brochure and I soon realized that most of those picking it up were other longarmers so I stopped doing the brochure. Most of the people for whom I quilt came to me because they saw my work in person somewhere or they knew someone else who has used my services and was pleased.

But, I can see where a portfolio or nice brochure could be great when starting out.

Guest Linda S

I really can't believe we're looking at the same two programs. If the webpages in Publisher 2003 aren't professional looking, I'd eat three hats. Granted, I don't know how other web viewers would handle them, but I was very impressed with the pages I was looking at last night.

Then again, I'm just a newbie. I have, however, been working in business for the past 35 years.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Thanks - mine's kind of funky and not so professional looking. At least not nearly as professional as the ones I saw in Publisher. I think the 2003 and XP versions must be vastly different. Again, as I said, I have no idea how they would run in other browsers. I have a little problem with Bill Gates's monopolizing the whole world too, so I guess there could be problems.

The thing I liked about Publisher is that they had it set up so you could get your business cards to look just like your website, which was really cool. Same coloring, same borders, graphics, etc.

I really like Dreamweaver, but tend to get lost in the ozone a bit when using it. Maybe that's where it gets it's name? :P

Linda

Hehe you may be right about Dreamweaver. And it's possible that Microsoft has revamped Publish enough in the 2003 version to make it plausible. I have XP, or 2002.

I think your website looks great now, I'm sure it looks better than anything Publisher could do!

I've been playing around a bit today on mine. Here's a screenshot of the service page (not the homepage). I'll probably change it a gazillion times before I'm done, which is why I wanted to start working on it well ahead of time. Plus I'm learning alot actually, about the business while I'm doing it.

Longarm Quilting by CJ

Archived