color bleeding on my thread, from the backing

I have not had this problem before.

I am having the problem of the blue color from the backing of the quilt bleeding through to the "white" quilt top, only where my thread is.

I am using so fine thread on the top, and bottom line in the bobbin. The backing is a flannel that has not been washed!

I have a call into my customer and I don't know what to say to her? I was wondering if one of the dye magnets would work when it is washed! It may not be very visible at this stage!!!! I am sure the worst is yet to come after the quilt is washed!!

any help is appreciated :)

post--13461903727569_thumb.jpeg

What kind of batting did you use? Also, I think you are seeing through the holes left by the needles. And, yes, I'd use a few color catchers when washing this.

Maybe it's my computer, but I think I can see clear through the batting.

Some of the experts will chime in soon!

Dye from unwashed, and even washed, fabric can rub off. I've had countless bras stained from new shirts. I hope the issue with this quilt is just lint. Even if this was not happening, I think your customer would have problems with an unwashed, dark, flannel backing.

I had this happen once with a red, white and blue quilt a customer left for me to quilt. I found that some of the blue fabrics bled for 5-6 stitches onto the white background. I was clearly a problem of the blue fabric not being washed, I called the customer and told her and she was totally fine with it....it was obvious that it was a fabric problem and not my quilting as the other fabrics did not bleed. I think if you call her and explain that this is happening and let her make the call on whether she wants you to finish the quilt and then wash it with a dye catcher, that would be what I would do....

Good call on the lint. I did change the needle to a smaller needle (I bought from Country Lane). But, I was too afraid to put more thread on it.

Thinking that I might have to pick out.

I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

I knew someone here could help. :)

Hey starbear, we have good life long friends who live in Bonney Lake, on Locust Ave... pretty sure everyone around there knows where Locust is.. ROFLMHO....

I'll keep the lint problem and solution in mind.. am wondering if you used SewersAid on the thread, that may help by cutting the friction.

I read somewhere on line that thread goes thru the eye of the needle 39 times before it's left in the fabric.. that would collect a LOT of lint..

Ritar

I had a red tan & blue customer quilt last year (the fabrics were bought at JoAnn fabrics and not pre washed) on this quilt the red fabrics ran. The frictioncaused by the high speed of a longarm can create just enough heat that cheap unwashed fabrics could run. It will usually happen with reds, blues, blacks and dk greens.

This is why it is so important to buy quality quilt shop fabric.

I am betting on it being dye transfer. These dark fabrics are so heavily dyed that the dye will come off on things. (You don't want to sit on a white couch with new blue jeans!) I would guess this is going to be a major problem when washed. I think color catchers aren't going to be enough.

The good news in this incident is... My customer has accepted the responsibility, and I am not going to be picking this out. However I do want to try to cut down on the transfer of color. I am going to work with the needle and the tension and try the sewers aid. After looking closely at the quilt I am sure the thread is picking up the color, and it is not the fuzz.

I am soaking some of the fabric with detergent and we will see how this turns out.

Rita R - :P, Yes I am familiar with Locus Ave.

thanks for all the help.

star

Archived