I hate panel quilts!!

Does anyone else do this?? I have a "quilt" on the machine, it's VIP panels with flowers and hummingbirds. I get carried away on these, quote them cheap (basic panto or easy freehand) and then end up doing lots of freehand designs and background fillers to get them to look more like a quilt. I hate them because I end up spending more time than I plan. I keep telling myself I won't do it next time but here I go again.

This customer does beautiful piecing, the last one I did for her was a lone star that laid perfectly flat, she's definately not a beginner. I had one of Nicloe Webb's DVDs playing as I was loading it and just started playing with some of her freehand designs and here I am 2 days later just getting it finished for a penny a square inch. :P jeri

Jeri,

I would have to guess that we all do this. I chalk it up to at least getting paid a little something for practicing. Think of it this way, you need try something new, so you can either put something simple on like a panel, and get a little money for practicing, or you can spend that time on a set of sheets that will get donated to the animal shelter (that's what I do with mine!) and get no money and are out the time as well. I know it is frustrating, but this lady brings you other quilts, and if she shows others how awesome a panel looks done by you, then people will really know how awesome you are!

It is great P.R. work and with a small business your reputation is everything, and when people know that you do great work on even just a panel--they will trust you with their most prized quilts!

Good job on making money while you practice and refine new skills! Cudos!!!

luv2quilt

APQS MILLENNIUM

Sometimes when I have quilted multiple times for someone, I ask them "do you want me to go ahead and figure it up now?" They almost always say "no" because they give me carte blanch and know I will charge fairly both for them and myself. For a new client I tend to go a bit on the higher side, as I know I want them to have a "wow" when they see it..........

Archived