ultimate 1 machine

Well now Sylvia, you know my Ult I moves that great bc of the great care I take in keeping all of machines in tip top shape!! Actually my Ult. I is my favorite of my 3 machines. I just wish DeLoa would have to quit borrowing her!!

Blue Dolphin, you can call me 225-715-5524 if you want to talk about the Ult. I.

Sandra

I have just purchased an Ult 1 reconditioned from APQS. It has single stitch, needle up/down a laser light and a Hartley base extender. It will come with a 14 ft. new Millenium table. The most important features it will not have, compared to the much more expensive machines, is a stitch regulator and channel locks. Tony, the APQS salesguy, told me that the Ult I was the machine that the Millenium is based on.

I have a number of years experience doing free motion quilting with a DSM, so I'm not intimidated by the lack of stitch regulator, although from the videos I've watched, it is clear that managing speed is quite different on a LA than on a DSM. Channel locks can be handled with clamps - not as convenient, but as effective, according to my info.

The new Milleniums also come with a thread cutter. I notice that some people love that feature, but others don't like it and remove it from their machine. Dealing with trimming threads by hand does not seem like a big deal to me, so this would not be a feature that would sway my decision making in favor of a more current machine.

I was able to see and try an Ult 2 at a friend's house, and also saw and moved an Ult 1 (it had a quilt on it, so I couldn't actually stitch with it). Both seemed pretty easy to control - although I have no previous experience with LA machines. I decided the Ult I was a good compromise - not very expensive, and a good way to get started. If I later decide that I'm really interested in a quilting business, then perhaps I'll upgrade to a fancier machine. But the Ult i is reasonably priced enough that even if all I want to do is quilts for myself and friends, I can do so without feeling guilty.

My machine is due to ship from the factory on Monday, so I'll be eager to receive it ( 7 boxes, heaviest 130 lbs, according to Heidi) and get it set up. In a few weeks I should be able to give you better first hand info.

Based on what I've learned from these forums and a couple of friends who are LA quilters,I'm guessing I'll upgrade to edge rider wheels. I *think* I want a quiltazoid, but those decisions will come after I've learned how to use the machine as shipped from the factory.

I don't know whether this is helpful to you, but it describes the thinking that went into my purchase. I'd have had to be much surer of a serious long-term interest in LA quilting, and probably earning some money from quilting if I had opted for a current machine.

I have an Ultimate 1 on a 12' old style frame and I just love her!! Lilla (as I call her) has edge rider wheels and a intellistitch SR add on. This past year I did some upgrades to her and customized her with a new paint job and chrome lettering. The ultimate is a dependable workhorse and I have no regrets buying mine.

Thank you all for the replys. I have since purchased the Ultimate 1 I was looking at and it should arrive next week. Can't wait to try it all out. I'm not sure what type of wheels are on the table, but guess I'll figure it out and see what might need upgradeing or whatever. It is coming from APQS so I get a 60 day warrenty. I'm sure I'll be back on with more questions later.

Heather

Heather, I think Sandra's wheels are the regular ones it comes with. If so, you probably won't need edgeriders - I mean they were just smooth as glass. And you can always add a SR on it later if you want. After stitching with Sandra's I wouldnt hesitate to do just what you did. I hope yours is as wonderful and hers. Let us know when you get it and how you like it. I am anxious to hear.:D

Archived