new to longarm, but determined

My girlfriend JoAnn sent me the chat about new machines arriving and how it intimidates the #!*$ out of us. Were we can suffer from buyers remorse. Here's my story, my machine I bought used and had been sitting for over 2 years in a warehouse. It arrived in several very heavy boxes and we got it up and running, several things were wrong with it, but it's just a machine and I'm smarter than it, so I proceeded to take it apart, clean everything, reset some wires and put it back together. What did I have to loose, it wasn't working properly anyway. If it had to go to the shop, oh well. In the mean time I wrecked my back bringing it into the house so I couldn't stand to use it, but again it's just a machine, right. Thank god for rolling chairs and perserverence and Advil, I was able to load a quilt, adjust everything and start quilting. I'm shaky, it's shaky, but we are learning to jive together. It takes practice and determination and practice and practice and practice. Yeah I spent a lot of money, but I also gained courage where I didn't think I had it and that is worth every penny.

:cool: What a GREAT attitude! With that, how can you go wrong? I have no doubt whatsoever that you will succeed and you and your machine will be ONE before you know it!

I am going to save a link to your message so that when my machine arrives someday, I will remember and with your thoughts running through my brain, I will conquer too

Have a great day sewing away!

Jody

Well, Good for you to keep at it. The more you stitch, the more you and your machine will become one. Don't forget to breathe, take rest breaks and stretch. Also playing some music, at least for me, helps me to relax and not tense up.

Charlene

Guest Linda S

Go for it! Don't let that machine intimidate you. You may want to give Mark a call and make sure you've got everything set right, so you have a smoother and easier time of quilting. You're right about how hard this can be on your body. I love my Aleve and my Tylenol PM! ;) I also got an electronic muscle stimulator at the last quilt show I went to -- I works wonders!

Linda

I really enjoyed the New But Determined story! I purchased a used A-1 last weekend in s/w Indiana as the result of needing to travel to Kentucky anyway to retrieve my husbands's totalled motorcycycle. Let me tell you disassembling of of these monsters (with assistance in Indiana) then transporting and reassembling in Maryland....alone...(as my hubbie is still recovering from his broken bones) was an AH HA experience for me, at age 61.......I have overcome (without Advil, thank you) and a:Dm so eagar to master the art of LA quilting. Yes, we can overcome!! :)

Charlene....no wiser words of wisdom were ever given....."Don't Forget to Breath".

I had to laugh because when I first got my machine I would go the full length of the bed doing either a free motion or edge to edge and almost pass out because I had forgotten to breath. I was so intent in getting the pattern perfect I forgot to do that important thing. Didn't even realize I was holding my breath until a girlfriend was watching me and said she thought I was going to pass out. Now we breath very well and can quilt with one hand, but my tongue sticks out at a corner.:P

Help: I am a new owner of a "millie" and seem to be experiencing tension difficulties. The stitches on the top look very good however.......the botton looks bad. The thread is sort of stung along and the top stitches are visible here and there. I have been practicing since I got the machine in late May. What am I doing wrong? Jo-Ellen

Bluedog,

I loved reading your post. Everytime I think about your machine sitting in storage for two years, I just shake and head and chuckle. Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and diving in. You are an encouragement to many of us just starting out on our journey.

Gail

Hay jobuck:

I'm a newbie to, & I found out all about tension problems in the "search" part of this forum, there are old threads in there that will help you out.

Just go to the first page of the forum, click on the word search near the top of the page, then type in the word tension or maybe tension problems, click on search again & you will have lots to read about.

Do you have a SR, I do & when I had the same problem as you do I had to tighten the screw in the bobbin-case (right to tighten) that fixed it for me.

I'm sure there are other's who will know more,

keep trying & good luck :)

Archived