ruler mate!

Many many thanks to everyone that helped me with my rulermate! I LOVE it! And your right, I am not taking it off! I only have a few rulers, but am loving it so much, I will be buying more soon. Today I ordered Edgeriders! I am so excited! Can't wait to get them!

I heard that the Machine Quilters Expo is coming to Portland Oregon in 2011. Is this true? Is this for longarm quilters? Do they have all the fun stuff, like, "zoids" , Circle Lord, stencils and rulers, oh my!!??? I would love to see all of this up close and personal!!

Again, thank you everyone!

Originally posted by Lori Dinsmore

Many many thanks to everyone that helped me with my rulermate! I LOVE it! And your right, I am not taking it off!

OK I have the rulermate too and I love it...

BUT!!

You HAVE to take it off every few weeks or so to clean underneath. Lots of lint and goo accumulates under there. It just takes a few mintues to clean underneath, blow out the bobbin assembly, hit it good with WD40 and oil and put the rulermate back on. I love my rulermate!

Yes, Annie - it's different. I was just answering that same question for a customer. Here's what I emailed her:

"Christine,

What you're talking about is an "extended base." There are two different types out there - one is metal and screws on in place of the regular needle plate. That's what came with my used Millie and I loved it, never took it off, except for cleaning the hook area from above. The RulerMate is $115 and can be purchased directly from Donita Reeve - her website is http://www.lovetoquilt.com. The other type is sold by APQS - the Hartley Base Expander. It's made of acrylic and slides onto the head right over the existing needle plate. That's what I've been using for the past year or so - easier to put on and take off than the RulerMate, especially when I'm demonstrating at Quilt Shows. That one you can order through me - it's $125.

If you want, you can search the chat for "extended base" - there are proponents of both kinds. You might just have to decide whether you want the semi-permanent kind or the easy-on-off kind. They're both excellent for supporting rulers and templates."

That's it, in a nutshell - get the RulerMate from Donita, or the Hartley Base Extender from APQS (or your local APQS Rep) - they're both excellent products.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both. I do take off the rulermate if the next 5+ quilts will be pantos since a large quilt will cause it to 'hit' at the front if I roll it instead of doing a full float. Use the Hartley Base when I'm only doing a little ruler work on a custom job. Like them both, but the rulermate is just more secure. Can do that with the Hartley if I took the time to get some of that liner 'stuff' others had recommended.

I have both. I use the Ruler Mate the most, because I like to work from the front and do more custom type of quilting, using rulers.

But...I also do some pantos and I love to use my Circle Lord products - either from the back or the front (actually just got the up-front yesteredeay, so haven't tried it yet) and what happens to me is I probably haven't raised my bars high enough, so if I have a thick/large quilt on the frame, the Ruler Mate bumps into the thickness of the quilt and limits my quilting space. That is a problem with pantos and CL designs. I need all the space availble on my Liberty. So...when I am using pantos or the CL, I take off the RM and use my little base plate. Then when I need to use a ruler with the CL blocks, I can pop on the Hartley base to do some SID. Having both, and using both, is the best of both worlds for me.

Archived