scallop guide/ruler

Amy, Out APQS tech; told me when coming to a point you should slow down like you are coming up to a stop sign. That way your points stay.......well, pointy!!:P It also helps to not pull up the bobbin thread on those points.

I don't use rulers for this design, but I use the Circle Lord 7 Treasures large board/template. Your fabric moves even though you have it tight, and that makes a difference!

This is very hard to do, and I think your quilting looks very nice! ;) Maybe you are not using the right ruler?? Try hugging the ruler. You might like the results better??

Hey I'm no expert, that's for sure, but I hope I helped you some!!!

Hi Donna, I have not seen this ruler before! It looks VERY VERY LONG!! :o :o Long rulers are pretty difficult to use, even for the experts.

This is what I would do to help control your ruler better:

1) Get those little rubber sticky thingies (you can buy at JoAnn) or the sandpaper dots will work, too. Put a few along the middle area. They adhere to the back of the ruler and help to keep the ruller from moving around.

2) While in SR mode turn up the "stitches per inch" to 13 or even 15. This causes the hopping foot to make smaller hops. These smaller hops help you to control the foot movement better as you follow (slowly) around the ruler.

3) Always always keep your hand that is holding the ruler right around the area where the hopping foot is. This way you have the best control of holding the ruler.

4) Before stitching your lines with the ruler, try marking with temporary blue or purple pen the little points that you want to go on. This will help keep your design more consistent.

5) Concentrate, watch the needle, go very very slow with rulers, especially this long one. Sending you positive thoughts.

6) :)

I'd do the same. I often mark with a ruler, but may use another assist with guidance when I follow the line. The ruler you have is very long and may move a bit making it difficult to line up at the chalked lines. Just my guess, That's what can happen when I'm clamshelling if I'm not careful.

Good Luck.

K

Thanks for all of the input. When I am finished with this quilt, I will not use this ruler in this manner again. Received a suggestion for another ruler that I will purchase from Shana. Glad when this one is finished. It is a beautiful quilt and the lady did a great job of piecing the top.

I have this same ruler. Mine came from Robs Rulers. It has another ruler attached to this section. It's like it was one big piece of plastic, with the main ruler cut out. Then the edges that are left are shipped along with the main ruler for protection during shipping. At least that's what I always thought it was for. I bought several Robs Rulers from an estate sale when I first got my machine, and this was one.

The main ruler and this piece came together on a flat cardboard. The main one has clamshells on one side, a spine for feathers on the other, and is an L shape. I thought the one shown here was for the main rulers' protection during shipping - never thought about trying to use it as a ruler/template. Didn't even realize you could! (duh!)

I bet it is hard to use this one as a clamshell shape! The other piece is pretty easy and has the normal places for a hopping foot to make the point in the dips.

Wow, I love the quilt colors. I would have never thought about using that pattern for a baby quilt. You just inspired me, I have 3 baby quilts to do in the near future (after MQX).

I'm with the others that ruler would be impossible to use. You did a good job with it. I love the rulers Shana suggested and all of Deloa's rulers.

Archived