start a quilting business

I have benn quilting for few year. As a mother of 3 I would like to change my career and work from home, making baby quilts and selling them.

I'm looking for information about to start it. Not from the side of finance and such but from the logistic side of it. How much stock to I need, where to I buy it from etc.

Anyone can help?

You'll want to get a re-sale license so you can buy your supplies wholesale. With the re-sale number you will be able to order supplies from distributors. Some require a minimum $ order to keep your account open, this should not be a problem. You may want to start small and build your supplies as you go. If you are going to do a pretty good volume of baby quilts you may want to buy fabric by the bolt. Otherwise I would buy quality fabric on sale to to keep expenses down and increase your profit. Keep us posted!

Tish! Nice to see you here! Great advice.

Take a look at my pictures from Quilting in the Garden here on our APQS chat under Quilt Shows, Quilting in the Garden. I can't make it this year. If you go you'll have to let me know how it is. At least it will be closer for you this year! American Patchwork and Quilting is bringing their quilt collection, should be another great show.

Exciting times for you getting your machine finally, I know your Dad approves! See you soon for your beginner class. I have an opening for my Oct. 5 class if you can make it. Let me know!

Archived