best all purpose batting?

My Ult I is supposed to ship from the factory today, and should be here next week:-):-)

I've been following this forum for some time, and notice that you use different batting and batting combinations for different quilts, and problem quilts.

Although I don't expect to be able to do customer quilts for some while, I would like to order a supply of batting to have on hand. I was thinking of getting a roll of something that would work for most uses, and perhaps some individual batts for special purposes.

I am applying for a resale number in order to be able to purchase wholesale.

I'd appreciate advice about what brand/loft/types to order. Also, what do you do about stocking various sizes? I'm guessing that queen would be the most commonly needed.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

I buy bolts of Arctic Bamboo Batting. I love it! I use it on all my customer quilts unless they bring their own. I buy it a 96" wide/40 yard roll. When a quilt comes in larger than 96" in both directions, I go and buy yardage off the larger 126" bolt at the LQS instead of piecing.

As far as common sizes, it's all over the place for me! From crib/lap to twin to queen/king. I see them all.

Bonnie.. I like and use Warm and Natural or Warm and white.. I do have a roll of poly bat, but don't use it much. Now that I have the Quiltazoid, I'm sure I'll use the slightly puffy more. I think whatever you do, I'd check out some of the various bats in crib or lap robe or twin sizes, to get the feel of it.. use it as a throw and see how it feels, is it comfy, does it drape around you, or stand out like chicken wire.. lol... is it too hot, not warm enough, ??? etc. Then start thinking about rolls, which if you have the room and can narrow the batt down to the old fashioned look, the sligly puffy, and the wool.. One brand of wool I can use bare handed, and thats not usual. Another I have to wear long sleeves and cotton cosmetic or quilting gloves to protect my skin. There are various company's and they each carry various bats.. some are pure junk, some are VERY pricy, like Bamboo... Or the silk and silk and cotton mix.

I also Like Quilters Dream, but haven't managed to make the switch yet,, was given too much batting and just had another pack of wool given to me yesterday. It's being put to good use, but with only me and sometimes himself piecing tops to use it up, it's slow going.. LOL can't talk the customers into using it.. and it's really not bad.

Hope this is of a bit of help... if you have a quilt shop nearby, or long arm quilters, you might check with them, and ask if they have any scraps they'd like to get rid of. I'm beginning to think I need to start making scrap quilts out of batting.

RitaR

I started doing long arm quilting and memory quilts for customers - even got to quit my day job to do it because it has grown so much! Many customers ask for a blend like Hobb's 80/20 or 100% cotton like Quilter's Dream. You need to see what is popular in your area. Not many around request Wool (which I love!) or bamboo/ orient blends. I'm going to try the new Pellon legacy line in some of my quilts before I recommend it to customers. Good luck!

Roseann Noll

Phoenix Rose Quilts

Elysburg, Pa

www.phoenixrosequilts.com

Best all purpose batting to keep for customers? If they don't really have a preferance?

I would lean toward Hobbs 80/20 or Warm and Natural (and for a poly batt I also like Soft & Brite) that is a great all-purpose batting! You can order W&N and Soft & Brite from JoAnn.

There are lots of beautiful battings out there and my favorite is wool or QD Deluxe but that is kinda spendy and not sure I want to stock that as my all purpose batting. But if you get a lot of requests for it maybe you can consider it!

Thanks to all - I'm thinking that maybe I should shop around locally and try to pick up one each of the various kinds you all have recommended. I can use them as I practice, and that will give me some experience to help me decide what to do for a larger order.

I used QD select (the medium one) for most of the quilts I have done on my DSM, but I've been really interested to see how many of you prefer something a little puffier - I guess it really shows off your wonderful quilting better than a thinner batt. I think people around here mostly use W&N - that seems to be what the quilt stores handle.

Great idea to try out different products before you invest the cash in something your eventual customers may not like. If you find something wonderful (QD products are always a good choice--EXCEPT Request which is not recommended for longarming) you can steer them in that direction, but I know that mine buy whatever they find on sale or have a coupon for!

I have a roll of W&W that was purchased in 2008 and I am inventorying through another tax time. I might have sold 20 yards this year. The LQS's are pushing Bamboo blends and wool now, so I am getting a lot of those brought with the tops.

If you have tops shipped to you, you will need something on hand to sell.

I find that the improved Hobbs Heirloom 8o/20 ( softer and a little loftier but the same wonderful long arm batting) is what my customers choose 90 % of the time from the many types I have available. Wool is my favorite also but most customers don't want to pay for it except for very special quilts. I agree that I would check around your area and listen to the piecers desires. Some areas are still very poly oriented. If you can attend one of the spring shows, it would be a great chance to touch and feel all the batting types available from all the companies. Enjoy your machine!

My favorite is Hobbs 80/20. I do use Warm and Natural or Warm and White but there is no puff to the quilt at all. Hobbs just (IMHO) gives a good bang for the buck and holds up well with wear and wash. I should have added that when I want lots of punch like for a quilt where I want high loft, I either lay a thin layer of poly on top or cut small pieces of polly and place in the "right places" while it is on the frame. Works good with the Hobbs.

My favorite has been Hobbs 80/20---and I will probably go back to it just because I can buy it locally by the roll with a discount coupon and no shipping charges. I use this type of 80/20 blend on all "bed type quilts".

For wall hangings I prefer Warm and Natural which is a more dense flat good for wall-hangings type batting.

Right now I am using the new Legacy 80/20 which I purchased online from Hancocks of Paducah. I really like it, but it's pricer than the Hobbs. I like how it arrived on short flat cardboard rolls. Easy storage. I would describe the Legacy as a mix of Hobbs 80/20 and Warm and Natural. It as not as "sheer" in appearance as Hobbs 80/20 but not as dense as Warm and Natural or as thick as W & N.

I tried the Orient mix from the same Pellon line and found it shrank a lot, and was not the look I wanted for the one quilt I used it on. So, I will keep that in mind for future projects. I should have paid closer attention to the Orient content.

These are all the batting I like. I've used some the less expensive batting, but keep going back to my favorites.

Can someone post a picture, showing quilting definition, using Hobbs 80/20?? I am in the market for another roll of batting and I would like something that shows the quilting (well-defined) and is drapeable (sp).

And is there a wholesaler on the West Coast that stocks Hobbs?

Barb

I use Quilter's Dream cotton in the select loft more than any other. I am getting some of my customers to switch to QD Wool.

I buy all my battings on bolts, as it is so much cheaper than buying it by the package. On the bolt, you can just cut off what you need, so if the quilt is a little less than a Queen, but too big for a double, you don't waste a lot like you would if you had to use a Queen size from a package. Experience is about the only way to know if you will use the 93" or the 120" more.

Oh, and Quilter's Dream allows you to order any amount, i.e. they don't have a minimum order, which is another reason, besides I love their batting, I like to order from them.

Good luck in your new venture.

I keep Quilter's Dream batting in stock, mostly 70/30, for those who want and need a batting. A lot of them also have coupons for Hobbs 80/20 batting and that is good batting.

Quilter's Dream have come out with a batting for children that don't melt.

I love Quilters dream wool on my own competition quilts and some of my customers requests them also, love QD Blend, better definition than Warm and Natural and Hobbs 80/20 is popular. I buy in bolts and stock them,wholesale price is good.

Corey

Originally posted by Lyn Heilman

I find that the improved Hobbs Heirloom 8o/20 ( softer and a little loftier but the same wonderful long arm batting) is what my customers choose 90 % of the time from the many types I have available.

Lyn,

How recently did Hobbs change the 80/20 to 'improved'? And, has anyone else on the Forum tried it yet?

I keep Quilters Dream Blend (70/30) & Quilters Dream Puff on the roll, these are the two most requested by my customers. However, I do keep a wide assortment of others on hand by the package including Bamboo, 100% Cotton, Black Poly and several others. I have both Quilters Dream and Hobbs products.

Archived