big holes on back of quilt

What's causing these monster holes? This fabric is a finely woven muslin. It also happens with batiks and hand dyes. But it does not happen with looser woven fabrics

I'm using a 3.5 needle, so fine thread. This particular quilt has 2 layers of batting, an 80/20 blend. I switched to a new needle and loosened the top tension a bit. None of these changes had a big affect on the holes.

post--13461903872631_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The only solution is a ball point needle. I know at one time they were available for gammills, but I don't know about other machines. A ball point needle will push the the fibers of the material and go in between the woven threads and won't cut them. That is why we use them when sewing knitted fabrics (a cut in the knitted materials can create a run).

• 4 months later...

Thanks for posting that photo Annie. I've had that happen recently on a quilt and changed my needle twice thinking it was dull. Didn't help at all. The frabric was a bit stiff, not bad quality, just stiff and had not been washed. Yuck. Was thinking something was wrong with my needles.

Originally posted by Stagecl

The only solution is a ball point needle. I know at one time they were available for gammills, but I don't know about other machines. A ball point needle will push the the fibers of the material and go in between the woven threads and won't cut them. That is why we use them when sewing knitted fabrics (a cut in the knitted materials can create a run).

I think you may be right on with this advice. Normally I order needles in larger quantities, with a sharp point. But lately I've been thinking that it wouldn't hurt to have a few regular, not-so-sharp points around to try in situations just like this. I understand it's getting harder to find the real sharp points anyway, so it may be that many folks already have a slightly rounded point. When it's time to reorder, I'll be thinking about this topic.

I'm interested to know if anyone else sees this as a possible help in similar situations (maybe pokies also?) or if my train of thought is just wrong?

Debbie in Austin

I recently had this happen to a quilt I did with batiks, I checked my tension with the old finger nail test and all sounded good but by the time you finish a pass and advance the quilt it is to late to do any thing but panic...so I wet down some of the areas and it did seem to look better. I told the customer to let me know if it went away after washing, no call yet, but she didnt even notice it, she said I was to picky (In a very nice way) Love the laid back customers!! Hopefully this will be the case with your quilt too!

Archived