Stencils - Mark Quilt On or Off Frame?

gable428

What kind of "permanent" markers does everyone use? I have several brands here, but am curious to know what others do.

With this type of marker, does everyone rinse (as in wash it, but NOT using detergent) their quilt after it is quilted and bound to remove the blue marks?

I usually just use a chalk pencil for most things, or the air erasable as I go, but I am wanting to do more detailed work where I will use the pens to pre-mark some stencil designs.

I've no idea where I watched a video yesterday, it was not on You Tube, and she used the water soluble ( can't spell today) marker, and just sprayed it with a spray bottle before she advanced to the next area, and let it dry before rolling. It looked to be a very fine mist, so it dodn't soak the quilt.

The video showed how well it worked.. she also marked as she went, and let dry, so the marks werent on the quilt but a couple hours, maybe, at the most. I just started using a blue pen that's the same, two ends, diff product in each, and the spray bottle worked very well for me.

I'll post a pict of my latest trial in quilting, a bit later, but NO close ups. lol

RitaR

I use a ceramic fine tip pencil that I got from: Merrily We Quilt Along. You can get different colors. I also use a Marvey purple pen that will disappear in about half hour. Last longer then the blue watersoluble pens. Marking is usually do on frame. But if Wholecloth I would do off frame with Ceramic pen.

I use the blue markers too and then spritz. Like Holly said, it does come back, no matter how light I mark or how quickly I remove the marks. But, I always check with my customer first, so they know it is coming. I test it to make sure it will come out, and I figure if...when I spritz and it goes away but comes back, when the customer acutally washes the quilt, the blue will go away for good. I've never had any problems with it no going away for good.

UGH!!! I just finished marking [off the frame] and it took me two hours and that's just the border! I went through one and a half brand new Clover marking pencils. I need to learn how to use the miracle chalk stuff with the pounce pad because that would save me a lot of time.

Archived