Favorite feather spine ruler?

I used to use Constantine's and I still like it, but I really like Gadget Girls big Shells and Swirls one!! I can see through it. On the flip side, the Constantine one has two curves, one on each side, one a little deeper than the other.

Here the link for Gadget Girls one:

http://www.thegadgetgirls.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=162

I got the other from Kingsmen:http://kmquiltingsupply.com/Parts/NoFrills.asp

It's the No Frills Swirls ruler.

I usually just chalk the line rather than trying to ride it with the hopping foot.

They both work fine.

If you want to mark spines (not stitch them) I recommend Darlene Zimmerman's Easy Scallop marking set. Two pieces of mylar you can adjust to mark literally any length of border or sashing in up/down curves for spines. To use, take the length of the border and divide the length by an odd number (so the curves can turn the corners). If you have 66 inches to fill with feathers and want 9 curves, the math shows 7.3. Adjust the mylar pie-shape to that number and mark up/down all along the center of the border. The 9 curves will magically appear and then turn each corner nicely. Nancy's Notions sells this item ($13.50) and most shops carry it as well--normally used to mark evenly-spaced scallops for the outside border edge.

Kath, Kristina, Joyce...I was thinking the same thing and had already sent Linda and Adam an e-mail when I posted my question to see if their Wavy Template would work as feather spines. So guess we all are on the same wave link in using our Quiltazoid to help with the spines! That's too funny!

LinneaMarie and Linda, thank you for your input. Will take a look.

How about feather spines on a tracing template that can be used up front - just placing them end to end across the border - maybe a curved one for the corners ??? Feathers is the one design I am most anxious to try when I do buy my QZ ! Maybe Adam and Linda will have some new gadgets designed by then !!! :P

I'm like Heidi~ Usually just chalk out a spine and go for it.

I also use circles cut out of heavy poster board (3 sheets for a dollar at Dollartree:))

Differant color for each size.

just lay them out and chalk around them.

You can achieve a nice spine for borders in this manner.

Laura

Archived