ZIPPERS ???

I was just watching some videos on QNN tv.com and they were sewing zippers to the leaders. Do you use them.......are they quick/easy/worth the money???

The pinning on of the quilt is the most time consuming sometimes and can be hard on the back.

Just curious about your expieriences. :)

i dont have them - but i want to get them. they just havent been a hi priority on my spending list since i can pin just fine. i know lots of the quilters here use them and love them. they are worth it if you like to work on more than one thing at a time. and if you rent time out on your machine - they are a must have. what appeals to me is the all the pinning can be done elsewhere - and them you can just bring it to the machine and zip her on. this saves the back and legs.

mercedes is just putting hers on and i'm anxious to see if she finds them worth it when she gets using them

What about those times when you don't square up the backing as accurately as you would like? I often end up having to pin the top of the backing on a little bit crooked to the canvas so that it lays flat. Do any of you have this problem or is it just me? It seems to me that if you pin your backing onto the zippers while you are away from the machine then you would risk a wavy backing once you zipped it on. Just wondering.

Jess

Just finished putting mine on tonight! I had them about a week and was a little intimidated but they went on fine. I also felt too tired to quilt after the bending, standing etc when pinning. I have learned so much from reading this forum.

There's also information about using a stapler to attach the fabric to the zipper (the ones that attach to the quilt, not the leaders) so I bought the stapler at the office supply store and the tool that removes the staples. Check out the staplers because not all have the ability to make the staples spread outward instead of inward. the outward staples end up acting more like a pin.

Love all the info that I can find here. I've been reading the site for a few months but now I can put it all into action. Thanks everyone.;)

I just installed my zippers this morning ! The directions that came with mine were very easy to understand and I didn't have any trouble at all. Nice to be able to use the LA to sew them on. I think they are going to be so nice - especially for large quilts that are hard to handle. Easier on the back, too. Many times my back would be so tired after pinning on a big quilt, that I didn't feel like quilting and would wait until the next day to un-kink my back.

Sheridan.........where did you read about using a stapler? That sounds very interesting. I, too, have learned so much from everyone here. Thanks from me, too ! :D

Just finished ZIPPING on a quilt and quilted it. My oh my, what a back saver those zippers are going to be !!!! So nice to be able sit at the table and pin them on to the quilt sections and just zip them on. I may have to buy another set for the quilt part so I can have one pinned on and ready to go. :P

Originally posted by Butterfly

What about those times when you don't square up the backing as accurately as you would like? I often end up having to pin the top of the backing on a little bit crooked to the canvas so that it lays flat. Do any of you have this problem or is it just me? It seems to me that if you pin your backing onto the zippers while you are away from the machine then you would risk a wavy backing once you zipped it on. Just wondering.

Jess

Jess I've never had a problem and I load all my quilts with zippers. I have also had some that are lets say, not so perfect! If I have a quilt that has fullness in borders I will make sure to measure and I pin it onto the zipper to the size it should be. Lets say it should be 90" but it is 92" instead. I'll pin in the middle and have an end at the 45" mark on either side of center. Then I'll find the center of what's left and the center of the zipper and staple and so on until I have it eased in. This usually solves my problem.

Originally posted by SKQuilts

Linda, I'm new at this so I hope this will work. I had saved it in my favorites......try viewthread.php?tid=20534. Lots of good stuff about different ideas on zippers etc.

I couldn't find what you are referring to. Have you tried yours yet? I think this is these are the best tool yet. :D

Jess,

I have not had any "off" quilts since I installed my zippers, but in the past when pinning, when I check to see if a backing is square and if I notice that it is not, rather than cut the backing, I just fold over the larger part of the fabric and iron it flat so that I have a straight line to pin to the leaders (or now to the zippers). That seems (pardon the pun) to take care of the uneven problem for me. Maybe someone else out there has a better way to do this....

Sheridan............thanks, I found it this time. Lots of good information there ! The stapling method for attaching the backing and top sounds interesting..........Now if I can just figure out how to turn that little plate around so the staples spread out instead of in. I didn't even know you could do such a thing and had to get out my stapler and look. Sure enough, there are 2 sides. Never too old to learn something, I guess.

I did sew my zippers right on to the leaders using my Milli. I could have used an extra set of hands to help hold them in place, but I got it done. I stitched them twice, so they are on to stay. I pinned the zippers to my backing and top, but always stabbing myself with those pins and then a couple would come loose while I was zipping on. Not sure I want to deal with safety pins either. I thought either a long basting stitch by hand using a strong thread, sewing them on with the sewing machine or now the staples. Will have to try each way and decide which I like best. I did order another set of zippers for the quilt part, so I can have one all ready to load whenever I get the notion to quilt it.

Using the zippers and being able to sit and attach them to the backing is such a relief. My back would just kill me by the time I got a quilt pinned on and I would have to un kink before I could start quilting. Have a practice piece on a zipper is a great idea too. Nice to be able to quickly attach a piece to get your thread/tension right before getting to the actual quilt. :)

DUH!!!! That was really hard!!! ??? :P I was determined to figure out how to switch that little plate around on my stapler and was ready to get something to pry it up, etc............Then I turned it over and wa-la, there is this handy dandy little thing you just push on and the plate raises up so you can turn it around !

Archived