Extra pigtail a HUGE help..............

quiltaholi_518

Just wanted to let you all know that I was having all kinds of trouble with thread breakage. I was building excess static, the thread would cling to the machine, (Liberty) then pop out of the pigtail below the take-up and get caught in a joint where the metal cover joined the machine. Some days I would break thread 2 or 3 times in a single pass. I tightened the tension, loosened the tension, used thread lubricant, started up a crock pot to increase the humidity.

Nothing helped much until upon Connie's suggestion we added another pigtail. I used the screw that holds the front cover on with a pigtail. This screw was below and to the front of the take-up and I configured it just like the one below it. I did a large queesn size allover with the S/R on and I didn't break the thread once! First time ever!!!

Yippee!!! I recomend doing this for anyone having unexplained thread breakage.:P

Good tip Caron, I have done that in the past as well. Something else I do with thread that really gets a lot of static going on for whatever reason. I use the thread nets so I take a fabric softner sheet and cut it just long enought to wrap around the cone about an 2 inched wide. Wrap it around the cone put the thread sock back on and it works like a charm.

Myrna

That's been happening to me today, but not because of static. I finally realized that my extra fan was blowing the thread around and causing it to get stuck under the edge of the machine cover. I was wondering about putting an extra pigtail on the machine to stop the thread from getting caught. I really need my fan. My work room is on the west side of the house and I live in Oklahoma. It is just plain hot.

Could we see a picture? How nice to jump on line while I take a break and find the answer to my problem.

Phyllis Hughes

Liberty

www.myheartlandquilts.com

Okee Dokee, here's a pic. I thought also the thread was just getting caught on th emetal plate on my machine but I amde eagle eye hubby watch and first it would jump our of the pigtail, then get caught. Where the new one is seems to keep the tension to the front of the machine, away from the pigtail opening..........

Hi, this is ConnieK in Texas...I am having a problem with my SR. I hope someone can help. When I use the SR I am getting knots and loops on the back. About every foot or so, some times one knot, sometimes 2 or 3. It is a little bothersome to say the least. Has anyone else had that problem.

Thanks for any help!!!

• 1 year later...

Caron,

I know this is an old thread, but I am having the static issue where thread is getting caught under the machine cover. Right now I just have some painter's tape along the cover to keep it from getting caught. I like your idea better. I was wondering if you could repost pics of your pigtail placment when you get a chance. (I think the ones you posted way back got sucked into the black hole when they worked on the website!)

Thanks in advance!

Hi Tina,

I hope someone replies to your request for a picture. Just keeping this thread of messages going---I would like to see a picture as I may want to do this on my '99' Ultimate II.

Evidently the thread coming out of the thread take up has lashed about over the years as the paint on the body of the machine has actually worn away just below the take up lever and right across from the screw which is located about an inch or so below and over to the side of the plate that covers that area of the machine. Directly across from that screw is where the paint is worn away.

If there had been a pigtail there, I'm sure this would not have happened. Waiting for a picture from anyone who has put a pigtail in that area of the machine. A picture would help, or I'm thinking one of those porcelain fishing line guide might work just as well too.....

Guest Linda S

I don't have pigtails anymore. I replaced mine with fishing rod line quides. They are the kind with the ceramic in the center -- they will never have a groove worn in them, just nice and smooth. I also put and extra one on.

Linda

Archived