Looking for Diabetic Cookbooks please

Hi all,

Living in a small town means no bookstore if you can imagine that! I have been searching online for good diabetic cookbooks...and can't decide on any. Help!

Any favorites out there? Do you have any such low carbohydrate cookbooks lying around collecting dust that you wish to part with?

I am in serious need of new recipes. Sven is getting really good at counting carbs and doesn't like the number of carbs he sees in most of my recipes!

Looks like change is on the horizon for all of us in the family. Not necessarily a bad thing I should add! :D

Thanks in advance ;)

Not that he needs a diet, but South Beach diet has a cookbook. My diabetic step mom said that her dr. told her that would be a good choice if she was looking. There also is a magazine out there: Diabetic Living. It has recipes as well as articles.

Can you change some of your present recipes to use the whole wheat pasta and flours? or use finely ground nuts (flour consistancy) to add good to the recipes. There is a computer program called Master Cookbook that lets you create a recipe box of your own recipes in the program. Then you can see what carb levels change with just changing the reg. pasta to whole wheat, or other things that you add or change. I have used it when I choose to do some low carb. Master Cookbook is not very expensive. It works great to create your own recipes in it. Then they are all together and easy to print out for friends or kids when they need one.

Kristina,

Does your town have a library? I would go to the library and check out the cookbooks that they have first. Buying cookbooks sight unseen can be disappointing once you get them. If you can view them first, you might be able to see if they actually contain recipes that you know your son will eat.

When my son (diabetic) was growing up, rather than try and cook separately or all different recipes, we picked up a copy of Master Cook (software) and I entered all my recipes into it, and was able to get a carb break down on them. After a year or so, we pretty much knew everything by heart.

More proteins, less carbs. And our doctor told us anytime he was feeling rebellious about food, let him eat it, just take more insulin (obviously not every day!).

We even learned we could still do Friday night pizza, I just figured the carb count out, and rolled my son's crust extra thin so he could still have as much pizza and stay within his range.

Kristina,

My previous job was with the University of Missouri Extension office. We had a nutritionist on staff and there were drawers full diabetic information. The best thing...it is all free. You probably have an extension office in your area, most counties have them. If not go on line...all of the information is there too.

Here is the web site for publications for the University of Missouri. You can print out whatever you need....and did I mention it is free :)

http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/

I don't have any cook books but I've been on a low carb diet for a year now. In my case it was to lose weight and now to maintain it. Anyway, soy is your friend! I switch to unsweetened soy milk and I will never go back. Be sure you get the unsweetened since the regular has sugar added. I have soy flour which can be substituted for about 1/3 of the flour in most recipes. I love soy chips to snack on.

Living in a small town it may be hard to get some of these items but the soy milk comes in boxes that don't need to be refrigerated until after you open them. You could stock up when you get into the "big" city. I had to order the soy chips ( www.glennys.com ) because our grocery store quit carrying them and the soy flour I got at a health food store.

I eat a lot of chicken. I get pre-cooked chicken strips (just grilled, no batter or anything) and keep them in the freezer. I bring them for lunch because it's easy. I put a serving in a plastic bag and they are thawed out by lunch time. They're also good to add to a salad for a quick and easy meal.

There is also a "Fix It and Enjoy It" diabetic slow cooker cookbook by Phyliss Pellman Good.

Here's the link for Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1561485799/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1561485268&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0RVXPC48APK88A7N747Y

Yea, that's long!! It's only $10.85!!

Dee's Mighty Cookbook, Tasty Cuisine For Flourless and Sugarless Living at www.deemccaffrey.com is a great book for living a life without those main ingredients. Dee has a special note for diabetics and says that the only sweetener she recommends is Stevia, so some of the recipes that call for natural sweeteners such as unfiltered honey, pure maple syrup, and such would have to be eliminated. Seems I'm always falling off the band wagon but when I'm very good, I use her recipes.

I'm lactose intolerant and follow www.helpforibs.com trigger food list. Haven't found a cookbook for this situation but there are some recipes on Heather's site. My trouble is that white flour and white rice calm down my gut but are not so good for keeping off weight.

Seems like so many of us have things we are dealing with that take special care. My friend's wife has inflammatory breast cancer, stage 4, and I've been in a funk over the flood of memories that have popped back into my memory from my own treatment from 13 years ago and knowing how difficult she has it right now, and wishing she didn't have to go through this.

Good luck everyone in dealing with your monkeys.

Vicki

I will look through our diabetic cookbooks to see if I have something I can send. Also, I don't know if your son is a big sweet lover, but I remember how hard it was for Daniel being about that age and not able to eat sweets. Something sweet I found that did not raise his bloodsugar through the roof was cheesecake! He gets a cheesecake every year for his birthday.

There are lots of diabetic cookbooks out there that aren't that great. (In my opinion.) You might want to do a search online for some and then try some of the sample recipes that they have online. Online you can go to the American Diabetes Ass. web page and they have a different recipe each day. They also tell what book they're from and have a forum. Diabetes Self-Management also has a web page (it's a magazine) that has a recipe section. Most of their recipes have been good. Better Homes and Garden has a diabetic cookbook that I've been using that's good. Try Amazon for some good prices once you've picked what you want. You can convert soime of your favorites but it takes some time to figure out the carbs or exchanges. Hope this helps.

Hi Kristina,

I get two magazines from "Taste of Home". I checked their web site and they do have one for diabetics. I cook a lot from these magazines and I haven't had a bad recipe yet. But I thought I would pass on a suggestion too...if you don't mind. I am not a very good cook and my dear MIL thought I would benefit from the magazine... so here is what I did...every time I wanted to make a new recipe, I would invite her over for dinner...I called it "guinea pig" night. We enjoyed it so much that we do it once a month. The recipes are easy, so I thought maybe you would enjoy this idea.. maybe your kids would enjoy picking out the meals and helping you with them. Just an idea.

Lori

I have many of the cookbooks by Joanna Lund. She follows the diabetic exchange program and she created these recipes to be easy to make. She says that if it takes longer to make the recipe than eat it and if she can't find the ingredients in her little town in Iowa, it won't be in the book. I just checked at Amazon and they have a big selection of her books.

http://tinyurl.com/yylc7lg

Madelyn:

We all so had the "spit back rule"..you tried everything that was served, but only a teaspoon..if you didn't like it, you could very nicely spit it in your (paper) napkin. (not making a big deal out of it) I have great eaters, because they will try anything!

When my boys were little, we had a "fun plate" when they were sick. I would take there favorite cartoon printed plate and fill it with their favorite things...like lunch meat, banana slices, a piece of cheese, a little bit of applesauce, crackers, sometimes even junk food would make the cut. This served as a great tool to get them eating again. Now even at 16 and 19, if they don't feel well, they ask for a fun plate.

Sometimes I think its all in the name!

anyway...sorry Kristina, this is way off the subject! lol

Lori

Lori, we had the "if you don't take some, then I will serve you" when I was growing up. I have learned to somewhat like squash, and a couple other things by that method. But I never learned to like liver, just learned to take the smallest piece I could, cut it small, load the fork with rice and grab the glass of milk to wash it all down. I bet we went through more than the regular gallon of milk at those meals.

I only made my kids take some (a single spoon serving) and learn to try it. I also, made it a point to not fix things that I didn't want to eat! Like liver!.

Okay, Kristina, you can have your thread back. I hope you are finding some good help out there. I know you all will make it work well.

WOW. Who would have known! Lots of great suggestions out there.

We do have a library...no diabetic/low carb cookbooks though...already looked.

Am going to print this thread and look up every site that was mentioned. Sven is not a sweet lover...but definitely prefers lower carb meals so the insulin intake is not as high.

The school lunch is 130-140 carbs and requires 11-12 units of insulin. Guess who is sending lunch every day! :D

thanks everyone for taking the time to help us out. It is much appreciated. :)

Kristina.............I

use the website below a lot. I am a Type 2 diabetic.

www.diabeticlivingonline.com

Also, Dreamfield brand pastas are very low carb and good too. That's all I use any more. They also have a website. Just type in Dreamfield Pasta and you should be able to get it.

I imagine is is very hard to cook for a child with diabetes, but it sounds like has has the right attitude. Best wishes for you all.;)

Archived