New APQS Bliss System

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Everyone,

I will definitely post photos of Bliss for you soon. The funny thing is, the system is so sleek and well-constructed that the photos won't really be able to show you much! The upgrade involves some really fantastic engineering with the carriage, encoders, and table rails.

I've been "beta testing" the Bliss for a few months now, and I'm very confident that the "bugs" are already worked out! In fact, I am so confident about the Bliss performance and ease of handling that I used it to quilt one of Marianne Fons' quilts that will appear under the scrutiny of studio lights and TV cameras on her TV Show "Love of Quilting" next season!

The Bliss system literally made my machine feel like it was floating on air, and the control and precision I gained doing tiny quilting was amazing. No more resistance or dragging....only smooooooth quilting:).

Here are some observations about Bliss that may help you visualize it better until we can get some photos up on the site for you:

[*] The carriage has been completely redesigned, slimming it down and decreasing its weight (easier movement).

[*] The Bliss system has no adjustments to make. The sewing head axle wheels are mounted in their permanent position, so you don't have to try to change any cams or bolts.

[*] Even the head axle wheels have been designed by our own brilliant engineer, Mike Moore. He listened to our desires and has created a sleek wheel with a deeper profile that glides effortlessly. Its material will not accumulate dirt and lint. Here's the REALLY cool part...Mike designed the wheels so that you could actually "change out" the bearings if you ever needed to instead of replacing the whole wheel!

[*] The carriage axle encoders are now completely encased and ride on a new rail profile that doesn't collect threads or lint, either. The encoder system and drive technology is the same "cutting edge" stuff you see in the medical field on operating room equipment. Trust me, if I need to have a heart surgeon get in there and clean out my arteries from eating too many Iowa pork chops, I want his equipment to glide along effortlessly :)! The Bliss does that for my quilting heart!

[*] Since each part of the Bliss system is so integral to its smooth operation and fluid motion, the upgrade involves more elements than just plopping on new wheels. But even if the technology is complex, the installation is simple to do.

When Mike showed me how easily the carriage mounted to the new table rails, and then showed me how simple the head axles worked without adjustments, I figure in very short order I'll be out of my "manual writing" job. I'm sure a few photos and a paragraph or two will have most quilters "Blissfully" quilting away in very short order!

One last note...the Bliss system has changed the way my quilting machine feels, but stitch quality still remains supreme. The accuracy I've gained with my motions has made me really focus on what I'm stitching instead of what my "settings" are.

I'm now very glad that the controls are at my fingertips and I can concentrate on where I'm going....I don't have to take my eyes off the road to change things on a screen or adjust my speed or stitch length--I do it "on the fly". Since the Bliss has improved my actual "quilting motion" so dramatically, I discovered that I want as few distractions as possible when I'm "in the zone" and quilting my heart out!

I think about my daughter texting while driving (banned now in Iowa and many other states, hooray!) and how distracting, dangerous and potentially deadly it can be to take your eyes off the road for only an instant. While my quilts are certainly not "life or death" projects by any means, I am certainly opposed to "un-sewing" and will do whatever it takes to make my stitches where I want them to be in the first place. The Bliss has given me the tools to do that, and the Millie's stitch quality and fingertip controls have greatly reduced my "frog stitching" time!

Let me know what other questions you have!

Carol - yes I have ER wheels - but they will go by the way side. I guess I am kind of lucky. My machine is in boxes - already taken apart and waiting for my return north. The IQ is on the Innova - so no worry about that, I have the CL, but way more excited about free motion with the new system. When I tried it out, I couldn't believe how easy it was to make wonderful itty bitty feathers, etc. Has definitely changed how I will approach my quilting on the Millie when I get her put back together in June!!!! Everything that Dawn has said is absolutely true!!!! I was just lucky enough to see it and try it. I am totally sold on what APQS has done!!!!! The thinking behind this system is completely outside the box of all other systems. It just may change how other companies start looking at their systems. We will just have to wait and see. I knew that the new system involved a lot of changes, but since I didn't have tons of time with it and was really more interested in how the system handled, it is very interesting to learn the additional facts that Dawn is sharing. It sounds better and better...... I only know how it handled, I have none of the facts.

Carol,

That is a great question! I admit I don't know how much clearance the Circle Lord templates currently require. I will check the clearance tomorrow on the Bliss and let you know. And if I don't post here, send me an email to remind me....I should be creating my handouts for MQX (I leave on Wednesday) instead of hanging out with everyone here! :)

Wow!! This sounds like what I've been looking for. When I invested in my Millie (used certified from the company) over a year ago to start a business), I bought it "tested unseen". That means I bought it during the winter and not show time so I didn't test drive any at the shows. I went by what others said about companies etc. and got sold on APQS.

I love my Millie but after doing this for awhile I heard about A-1 machines and saw the work that Renae H, Jamie W. did etc. So I tried an A-1 at the AQS show in Lancaster and said what they meant by SMOOTH and sort of wished I would have gone that direction. But there were features that I loved about the APQS (also not to forget the look my husband gave me meaning I had a ton of money invested in my machine, accessories etc)!!

So does this mean that it will be easier to steer in all directions, help with tension? I LOVE to do everything freehand and avoid pantos at all costs. My customers and quilt friends are amazed of the freehand work that I do and I tell them "It's what God intended me to do!" Now I'm able to stay at home (with 4 kids ages 9-16) and work my schedule doing what I love has been incredible!!

Can't wait to actually see more about this! It's sounds like something that I will invest in. I can do without the LED lights or blacklight swith for my 2005 Millie, but this is a different story. Thanks APQS!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Roseann Noll

Elysburg, PA

Phoenix Rose Quilts

www.phoenix:rosequilts.com

Roseann,

I had the same thought in my head that you did. Only it wasn't just Renae and Jamie, but a whole bunch of people that I have seen their work using the A-1 and I almost jumped ship a while back. My deal was, I contacted an A-1 Dealer that I met at MQS to ask about the machines...and she slammed APQS machines royaly. That was when I knew I had a dedication to APQS that I didn't realize I had :D Now I really do.....I am making my plan of attack on my DH regarding this machine...I am compiling my evidence.....And doing my homework. If that doesn't work...there is always Victoria's Secret!! :D:P;)

I'm still not clear on the ability to keep my existing table. The rails are an integral part of the table. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the existing rails and clear tabletop will need to be disconnected from the legs. Which means the whole table and roller bars will need to be taken apart, right? And then we will put it back together using the new rails? Can we keep the existing clear tabletop?

Mary Beth,

I know that I made the right decision. I remember back when I was looking into buying my machine and Mark called me AND my husband numerous times to make arrangements and help with all the paperwork stuff! Plus I haven't had any problems to contact the company - only once to answer a question and they went out of their way to answer.

The only thing that I'm frustrated with is that I never was able to get my class when I bought my machine. The nearest rep is 2 hours away. No one does these classes on Sat/Sun when I'm available (I do this full time now - but still have my family during the week - even though they're older they still need me here - if not more!). That's why I'm considering becoming a rep for our area, but again a BIG investment (new machine etc.). My quilt business is really growing (even with this economy) but not that fast!

Again I love my Millie and am really happy with APQS!!

Mary Beth just remind your husband of any of HIS things he loves! Mine is a PENN STATE addict and TV tech stuff (not to mention all the trains he has collected over the years! :cool::cool:

Roseann Noll

Elysburg, PA

Phoenix Rose Quilts

www.phoenixrosequilts.com

Dawn,

Many of us have made adjustments to our machines when adding on products such as wheels, CL, QZ etc.

Will your instructions include how to take everything back to where it needs to be for Bliss? In other words, how many washers there should be for the new system vs how many we may have added or subtracted, how far up the top and backing bars should be, etc. That's probably clear as mud, but if I purchase Bliss, I want to be sure I can get everything adjusted correctly again.

Myrna- Looking forward to hearing more about how this upgrade will impact my using my Hartley Fence. That question hit me as I was daydreaming and had only read the IQ/QZ. folks asking about their situation and the effect Bliss may have on them. Glad I held off getting ER wheels, but I will have to start saving my pennies big time to get Bliss and hydraulics. Thanks for keeping the info flowing. Sally

Originally posted by lisae

This from an email I just received:

"Table Tops – Clear table top MAY be okay, but may have to be shaved down a bit as it sits down “in” the table. Black table tops are fine."

So...how do you "shave down" the clear table top???

Not possible to simply shave down the lexan top I do not think! You could replace it with a thinner plexiglas top I suppose!

Originally posted by lisae

This from an email I just received:

"Table Tops – Clear table top MAY be okay, but may have to be shaved down a bit as it sits down “in” the table. Black table tops are fine."

It doesn't sound like our pattern boards, whether they be Circle Lord, Quiltazoid, R&S, or some other, can be used with the new system. I wish someone from APQS would jump in here and clarify this for us. I can't imagine APQS would design the new rails and carriage and make them in such a fashion that the boards could not be used.

As good as the new system sounds, I'm feeling a little upset. Our current machines have just become obsolete. It will cost us $3000 to upgrade, but this still won't include quilt glide or LED's. That's a lot of money considering new buyers can add the system for $1500. And if the computer and pattern board systems needs to make adjustments to work with Bliss, this will lead to more costly upgrades.

I wish APQS could have made this more affordable to their loyal existing customers.

Mary, I am so glad to see someone express the feelings I am having. I recently purchased a 2008 Millie from APQS and have been busy purchasing the things to get my business off the ground. I am in line to have the IQ installed first of May. My whole plan has been put in a spin. The IQ will not work with the bliss, the bliss may or may not be for me but I am already falling behind if I don't upgrade. Thanks for letting me vent. Everything I have learned has been from this forum as I have yet to have the new owners class from our rep. Thanks to all the contributors!!!

Originally posted by SKQuilts

Mary, I am so glad to see someone express the feelings I am having. I recently purchased a 2008 Millie from APQS and have been busy purchasing the things to get my business off the ground. I am in line to have the IQ installed first of May. My whole plan has been put in a spin. The IQ will not work with the bliss, the bliss may or may not be for me but I am already falling behind if I don't upgrade. Thanks for letting me vent. Everything I have learned has been from this forum as I have yet to have the new owners class from our rep. Thanks to all the contributors!!!

Sheridan, don't feel that your whole plan has been put in a spin. At this time, Bliss is not compatible with IQ. That does not mean that will always be the case. Bliss had to be kept quiet during production. The computer companies will have to work on a solution if they want to stay competitive in the marketplace and continue to get the APQS customers.

Bliss has been designed to make freemotioning easier. If you plan to computerize quilt ONLY, then Bliss is not for you. If you plan to combine freehand and computer, then given time, Bliss and computers will work.

As far as your beginner class, have you contacted your rep? If your rep is not meeting your needs, you have the option of taking your beginner class with any rep or in Iowa with Dawn.

Every manufacturer up dates and improves their equipment. Everything we purchase becomes obsolete no matter it is. We are not obligated to purchase the upgrade and our machines will still work fine. How does a company stay in business if it doesn't evolve?

One can still own a dial up phone and it still works

I am sure that the other companies will come up with retro fits for our quilting toys. It too is just a matter of time because they want to be able to sell their gadgets to the quilters that have the new machines

Yes, I would love to upgrade, but will my CQ work on the new rails? If not, I'll have to wait until Stan can change the pulleys and cables for my CQ. I will expect to pay for the upgrade there too.

Yes, I agree, after giving this some thought, I have decided to forget about the new system. I would love to have it, but selling my machine, and getting the new Millie with the lights and quilt glide, would end up costing me about $9000. Not gonna do it. I will purchase the Edgeriders or just sell my machine and not quilt at all. I just can't afford that upgrade. After adding up the cost, I started thinking of all the other things I would rather have, then I started thinking about what I could really get if I sold everything. Hum....then I would have time to piece and I could send my tops to you all to quilt. I think I will just stay put for a while.

Archived