Guilded Majestic Blooms - Finally!

Heidi, I'm speechless and if you knew me well, you'd know that doesn't happen very often. Your quilt and quilting is spectacular and when I read that your quilts are entered in MQS I was even dancing the happy dance with you. I will get to see your work up close and personal -- can't wait. Thanks for allowing us to view your beautiful work in person in the Midwest. I will be taking lots of close up pics for future inspirations and techniques. :D Dar

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it is even more exquisite in person...because i have seen it. oh yes, it rocks!

but - not that i'm still complaining or anything - but the back was not shown as nicely as it should have been.

if anyone has an in at MQS - make sure to tell them to show the backs of the big - heavily quilted gorgeous quilts!

Originally posted by meg

it is even more exquisite in person...because i have seen it. oh yes, it rocks!

but - not that i'm still complaining or anything - but the back was not shown as nicely as it should have been.

if anyone has an in at MQS - make sure to tell them to show the backs of the big - heavily quilted gorgeous quilts!

LOL Meg you aren't alone. I heard that a lot! I had a really good time though going up to my quilt and flipping it back! hearing the gasp from the white glovers was pretty funny. I'm glad you liked it.

Sandra it was great to see you again and have dinner with you 2 nights while wer were there again and Georgene it was wonderful to meet you. Thank you so much for the compliments.

Kenna - LOL all you heard was a gasp and them saying, "You are not allowed to touch the quilts." Then I would say, "Oh I've touched this one many times":P:P:P:P

I can't tell you all how spectacular Heidi's quilt is. The pictures are stunning but it took my breath away in real life. It was a priviledge to get to see it up close. I actually saw the back of the quilt before I saw the front and it stopped me dead in my tracks. I actually thought it was a wholecloth. The binding gave it away (only because it is a darker colour than the back) and then I saw the label. So needless to say I had to race around to see the front.

When I grow up I want to quilt like Heidi. If there is a stitch out of place I couldn't find it and my eyes were an inch away. And that was silver metallic thread to boot!! Perfection about sums it up.

Enjoy the accolades as you deserve them. The quilting is do die for and the binding must have taken hundreds of hours but well worth it.

Keep up the amazing work as you are an inspiration to the rest of us mortals:cool:

Take care,

Lisa:)

Originally posted by Omega QW

Stunning!

Could you please post a close-up of the binding and tell us more about it ?

Marilyn - I used Sharon Schamber's technique for this binding. First you make the cording using 3/4" bias strips that you stitch over yarn and then turn inside out. This takes some playing with but if you follow her video it works perfectly. I had to make 50 yards of it!!!! Then you make a master template of the quilt and draw out the loops. Finally you cut the cording into small pieces, mine were 3 1/4" and glue them in place on the facing. Finally you stitch them to the facing and then stitch that to the quilt. I was really super pleased with the results. It was a lot of work but worth it. I'd like to try this on a curved binding...someday! Here is a closer view of the binding.

post--13461903972933_thumb.jpg

Archived