need advice on Euro Pro Iron

meg

hi everyone - i am here at mqx and i saw the euro pro steam iron. i really liked her sales spiel - but wanted to know if any of you guys have it - and if you do - do you like it, hate it, love it???

it is $200. here as a show special.

any input would be much appreciated...

am having a great time. walking around with my mouth hanging open - i cant believe how many EXQUISITE works of art i have seen!:D

i think this is the euro pro steam iron - it looks like a regular iron but doesnt burn anything and doesnt leave the fabric feeling wet after steaming - she used it in sequined gown, mans suit, linen pants, denim shirt and it seemed to work well. almost seemed t 2 good 2 b true

anyone have one?

I had one...made steam pretty well but since the sole plate never got hot enough, it didn't work well for piecing. Now a friend uses it to steam block her needlepoint pieces.

I have found a terrific iron (separate tank, dry steam, infrequent refills, no auto shut-off) but it is twice as expensive. If interested, you can google Reliable i300 iron. I haven't regretted that purchase for a moment!

Nancy in Tucson

A point of clarification. The iron is a Euro Steam -- which is very different than the Euro Pro. I paid $200 for it at a home show a couple of months ago. I'm an iron fanatic -- so it is part of my collection that includes a Rowenta steam generator (not iron), Oliso and now Euro Steam. I love a high quality steam iron and require it for nice flat blocks.

You must use distilled water in this one. (My other irons require tap or spring water.) Steam is very good. I had a whole closet of clothes that I needed to iron and got done in approximately 1/3 of the time using one of the other irons. I like that nothing burns and you can keep the iron's plate down on your ironing board. So more ergonoic. I like that it doesn't have an auto-shut off, but actually does save electicity (you don't have the constant clicking on/power pull that I experience with the other irons).

I brought it to a class I was teaching at a local quilt shop and the women all appeared to like it. It was more heavily used than the shop's irons.

The real test will be if it still working well 3-years from now (which is now my expectation for any of my irons with fairly heavy usage). I am hopeful.

Hope this helps.

Kari Schell

Millennium

I've had one for about 4 years and love it. I do periodically have problems with it "spitting" H2O but love how I can use it on anything. I have a Bonash ironing cover on my pool table and it doesn't burn anything. I guess what I really like is how it stays hot instead of having an automatic off switch that turns itself off. I do only use distilled H2O in it and I still get the spitting. Oh well...

Meg,

I have had mine for about 3 years and I really like it a lot! It is awesome when you have fabric yardage to iron. I also use it for piecing with no problems. My only problem comes in if I heavily starch something because since the iron sole plate doesn't overheat the fabric it takes a while to dry it. My solution is to spray with starch (I will never not use starch) and then I throw it in the dryer on low to dry it a little or just let it hang for a little bit. It is wonderful to use on other household items like pants, blouses and curtains!

I bought this a year ago February. I like the iron, but have had a few problems with it. I've gone through alot of the rubber rings that go around the screw in cap and the iron started leaking steam around the screw in cap. I called the company and the lady I talked to told me the iron isn't meant to be left sitting idle for any length of time. Like in between piecing. I told her this iron was being marketed towards quilters and she didn't really have a response. They did send me a new cap and more rubber rings and it fixed the problem. I don't use it for quilting anymore because I do like how it irons clothing and with the expense involved I would rather extend it's life for that.

Jen

I bought this iron several yrs ago at a show.I thought it would be great for pressing backings. It is just OK. For me it does not get hot enough and it runs out of steam too quickly. I can buy a lot of irons for the money that do a better job. JMNSHO ;o)

Meg,

It probably only takes about 2 minutes to heat up. I really like the weight of this iron too and I love that I can iron anything and not worry about it scorching. I ended up getting a 2nd one because they were giving the portable as a free gift and I like using the small portable size when piecing. I'll give my old one to my daughter. She loves it too.

I have had one for 2 years. It leaks steam now, but it has a lifetime warranty so I just have to send it in. It's heavy, really does not burn the fabric, and steams great! I've used the steam while a quilt was one the frame to steam out some bulky areas and it worked really well. I have had some trouble fusing with it. Maybe it isn't hot enough, or I didn't leave it on the farbic long enough, but it didn't seem to melt the glue very well. I ended up using my standby Rowenta for that.

I tested the non-burning part by accident. UPS came and my ex-police dog was out in the yard. I heard him bark and went flying out the door to keep the UPS man from opening the gate until I was there. The regular guy knows better, but sometimes there's a substitute. Anyway, we talked for about 10 minutes and I went back in the house. To my horror, I left the iron on a block I was pressing (1st time ever). I expected the worst, but the block was perfectly fine! Whew!:P

Merry Jo,

Did you try cleaning your iron? Any time I notice steam leaking I just clean with vinegar and it is good to go. I have given a blast of steam when I'm fusing and maybe that is what gives it the extra heat.

LOL I'm so used to leaving my iron laying down now that I'm really dangerous with a regular iron! I love that you never get that shiny appearance no matter how many times you iron over an area!

Guest Linda S

I was actually lucky enough to win one of the Euro Pro Steamers at the MQX banquet a few years ago. I love it for getting the wrinkles out of fabric, but it's not really good for pressing seams or getting a nice crisp crease in your clothes. It steams -- the sole plate does not get hot. I use it for my fabric (all of which I pre-wash) when I neglect to remove it from the dryer in time. I use my Rowenta to press while piecing -- I've been lucky enough to have had this same iron for 6 years and it has yet to become incontinent. The professional steamers sound nice.

Linda

Archived