Metro Thread

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want you all to know you are trouble makers! I had to order some metro thread today. I decided to get all 166 colors but the smaller spools. I have an embroidery machine so hopefully these will be liked. I also got some bigger cones of colors I know I will use a lot. That way I figure i can use the smaller cones to check colors and such and the small spool should be about enough for a normal quilt.

I keep getting deliveries from UPS, Fed Ex, USPS for all my thread and other goodies I MUST have. My DH just rolls his eyes and says........"now what did you buy?" :P That's OK....he's going on a fishing trip to Canada for 10 days, so this is MY fishing trip. haha The CC bill will come while he is gone..........that's a good thing. :D

I finally tried my one cone on my HQ. Sweet. I love this price as most of my quilts are for charity.

I used a bottomline prewound as that is a fail safe choice for me. It must work with those and it was perfect.

I also have found that my machine does not like going right to left and that causes the thread to break. I did lots of experimenting with this. I mainly do total free designs on the front so it will be easy to go the way she likes.

I followed everyones recommendations and also ordered some Metro thread. It arrived this morning...the colors are beautiful!!! I would like to try the fil tec prewound bobbins... they show two magna style bobbins. Do you recommend magna-glide or magna-quilt bobbins. Are they cardboard or plastic bobbins? Thanks!

Maureen,

The Filtec bobbins have a magnetic core and no sides. To use them take the spring out of the bobbin case and just pop the bobbin in. Magna glide are poly thread and Magna Quilt cotton so it depends on your preference. I have used the poly as I use poly on top and really like them but haven't as yet tried the cotton ones. If you go to their site and set up a user name and password they will send you some samples free of charge and then you will be able to decide which you prefer.

Sue

I got my Metro order today and all I can say is the colors are yummy! I picked out some colors of the large cones and got all the colors in the small colors. I have an embroidery machine so I figure I can use those for checking color. I guess 1100 yards will do a lap size quilt too. I really like all the large cones I got. I think I'll get some use out of the colors. I'm anxious to try them out.

If I may, I'd like to say something here about "embroidery" thread. I tried using several, but not the metro a while back and they didn't work sworth spitting on. I tried a couple other that worked very well. the one lost most of it's color in some threads with just a few washings.. I was using a detergent at the time that had bleach in it, supposedly good for color fast cloth. I finally figured out the difference, and have tried the one, with several different colors, and they worked like a charm. The difference was the one was rayon machine embroidery thread, and the good stuff was poly...

I have a good sized pile of Sulky Rayon and really no time to do embroidery work on the machine.

RitaR

Just gotta tell you all, I am quilting my own Quilt, for my Studio wall and I am using the Metro thread. I am feathering, doing tiny teardrops and stipple and the thread is awesome! I love how it shines, how it sits "on top" of the fabric, and how nicely it quilts. I am really enjoying myself with this thread.

Monika,

You just helped me make up my mind which thread to use on the wholecloth I now have on my frame...

It will be white on white..my choice was white bottom line, which would in effect disappear into the white cotton sateen (that would still be a good look) or white metro which will give a little lustre...

I'm gona go with the 'metro' as I know I am going to have difficulty seeing my stitches!

Took me about 8 hours total to rip out the stitching on my granddaughter's wedding quilt where I used variegated Metro thread. I had used a solid beautiful gold color Metro in the bobbin. When ripping, both threads left a fine, almost metallic powder all over the quilt??? It came right off with a lint roller but it kind of concerns me. Think I am going back to Superior for this quilt and will try the Metro on something not so special!

Janna - I wanted to say I really appreciate your comment on this thread. I've been wondering if any opinions would differ after sewing with it for several times, and having it go through many of the issues that we often go through, and how the quilts will hold up long term, and through washing. Some threads are better at some things, than others.

I do admit to being a little confused on Monika's comment of the thread 'sitting on top' of the quilt. Has everyone else noticed it doing this as well? I am not sure of what the comment means, exactly, but know that when that happens to me currently - I check my tension :) So, I'm sure I'm misunderstanding the intent of that comment! Clarification would be appreciated :)

I'm curious as to whether or not anyone else has any other updates/comments on this thread and it's usage now that you've used it for a bit? Has anyone washed a quilt/sample several times yet?

Thanks!

Archived