Little Genie Bobbin washers?

Well I just tried one out (backlash spring removed) and following Sharon Schamber's directions, put a drop of oil in the bobbin case, then the bobbin genie. It worked just fine on the stretch I tried.

I'm still trying to find my Milly's perfect bobbin tension. I started with the Towa gauge at 16, but was occasionally getting flatlining of the bobbin thread on the back. On my HQ16, I always ran it around 22, so I'm trying that now along with the bobbin genie.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by LinneaMarie

I use the washers with and without the spring, seems it makes no difference. I, too, am having tension issues today! :mad::mad: Grrrr. Is it the beautiful weather and sunshine?? Did my Big Baby get used to doom and gloom in ME Ohio?? hahaha:P:P

Must just be the day for bad tension! I have to frog a whole block because my thread broke and when I rethreaded I missed something. Grrrr!

I use prewound bobbins and find that sometimes a bobbin will give me trouble, but most of them work just fine. I also use the bobbin genies and have had more success with them than with the original spring in the bobbin. I have the towa guide but find the good old drop test is the best with a little top tension tweeking when neccessary.

Hi CJ,

My experience with the Bobbin Genies has been mixed. After much testing I found them unnecessary.

My new long arm machine bobbin case(s) came without a back lash spring of any kind---and a package of the Bobbin Genies.

I grabbed all my bobbin cases and headed down to my local sewing machine dealer (fabulous dealer I might add)---and said: "look at these---and please put a 'real' metal back lash spring in all of them for me" Which he did....Thank goodness. He asked why they didn't have a back lash spring to start with? It was said like he was surprised there was no back lash spring to start with.....

I've been using the back lash spring loaded bobbins ever since. I never liked the bobbin genies when I tried them on my old APQS Ultimate II, and put the metal back lash spring back in right away.

Then the new long arm came with them, and I did try them. Inconsistant TOWA readings for one thing---then they would fall out unnoticed and get rolled up in the quilt, the final straw was when my dog ate one that had fallen on the floor under the frame! :)

Some quilters swear by them---

Well I'm happy to report back that I think I finally (it's only taken me 6 weeks!) resolved my tension issues with my Milly. And I believe the bobbin genies helped as well. Yay!

My machine seems to have great tension with the bobbin set at 22 on my Towa gauge... which I think is higher than most of you run?

I started at 14, and worked my way up. It looks good now, whew!

• 2 months later...

I have never been comfortable with tension issues until I got used to the bobbin Genie, no backlash.

I use air compressor to blow lint out of the bobbin case before I start warming my Millie, then spray WD40 (I copied Shana Clays routine) run the motor then clean the bobbin area followed by a drop or 2 of oil. Then clean any oil/WD40 residue. I started cleaning the bobbin case every time and I am using WD40 on my bobbin case also, clean it with q tip and run the corner of a business card to check for dust/gunk build up on the bobbin case.

I do the drop test for tension, never got the hang of using Towa Gauge.

Corey

Archived