its that ribbon question again

please bear with me here as i am trying to understand this whole show/ribbon thing as i have never entered a quiling competition.

i was just reading that doodlebug quilted a customer quilt that won 3rd place in paducah for best longarm quilting bed category.

:P:Pa big congratulations to shannon!!:P:P

i'm sure its beautifully done.

am i to understand that her customer is awarded this ribbon?

this means the customer gets to keep the quilt (cause it's hers) and the ribbon? i feel the LAer should get the ribbon since it is her work.

what am i missing or am i wrong?

Meg,

You like to open a can of worms don't you? :P:P:P Yes in fact her customer will be able to keep that ribbon but if she is wise she will give it to Shannon because she is the one that earned it. The bigger question is the prize money! LOL Now the customer got her quilting for free probably but that is the price of doing business and you can't be bitter about it, just raise your prices!:P:P:P:P

Big congratulations to Shannon!!!! Way to go!

Most of the big shows ban "buying" a ribbon by paying some fabulous longarmer to do the quilting. It must now be a collaboration--no money changing hands and both participants co-own the quilt, split any awards, and since the category is specific to two-person quilts, two ribbons are awarded. Other shows (except Innovations) usually award ribbons and cash to the entrant/owner of the quilt. It is up to them if they want to share either. It levels the field and also narrows the categories. "Duets" may be the only category for two-person quilts. I guess that means if you want awards, you must find a great and like-minded piecer and collaborate--or else piece your own.

But, if your quilting won an award, that fact does belong to you and you can use it in your information and advertising. And hopefully the piecer will allow you to use photos of the quilt as well.

never even thought about the money aspect - that's how new i am to this competitive stuff. the whole thing just seems so wrong to me.

well, it seems to be true, so - i guess this is one of those things that fall into the category of....

:(:( "Life just isn't always fair." :(:(

I promise not to bring it up again, but each time I see one of you LAers win a prize you can't ever claim - i want you all to know that i will be grumbling about it to myself! :mad: :mad:

I agree with Linda, one of my customers recently won a blue ribbon at Hampton Roads, but it was her quilt and she did pay me to quilt it for her...although she did get a rather good deal, but she was gracious and allows me to use the pic of her quilt with the ribbon for my advertising which suits me just fine. One day when I get my own quilts quilted and entered into shows, then I guess any ribbon I win will be all mine.....:D:D:D

Interesting. several of my customers quilts have won ribbons at local shows and i have never expected anything but acknowledgment of who did the quilting on the entry form. To me....the ribbon belongs to the person who enters the quilt. If the show allows for more than one ribbon then that much better. Of course...was the quilt a collaboration between the quilter and piecer? IE....no money exchanged hands and the quilting was done with the expectation that any and all winnings would be split between the parties? As i see it, we provide a service for a fee and that's all. We have been paid and what happens to the quilt after the long arm service is up to the owner. Think of it this way. A car can be restored and entered into many competitions by the owner. The owner may have never put his hands on the car but instead, the owner farmed out the work to different shops for different services such as paint , engine overhaul, body work and so on. Just like a quilt show...the professionals who supported the project are acknowledged to the public at the show but prizes and ribbons belong to the owner.

I wonder....... if, on your take-in sheet, there was a place where the piecer had to say if this was or was not a show quilt and if she had to sign she would split any winnings, would that take care of things? I guess then tho the fabric company would want a part of the winnings and the thread company and so on and so on...

even tho i promised not to say anything more, this was sent to me and i feel it is relevant...

"you can't judge others by what you would or wouldn't do."

clearly,, this is a much more reasonable person than i am.

now i shall shut the %#$& up, i promise.

Originally posted by KelleyJones

......i have never expected anything but acknowledgment of who did the quilting on the entry form. To me....the ribbon belongs to the person who enters the quilt....

I agree with Kelley. The person who entered the quilt in the show, paid the fees and shipping to get it there. However, I think it is thoughtful to acknowledge everyone who played a part or role in the body of work.

Originally posted by ffq-lar

.....But, if your quilting won an award, that fact does belong to you and you can use it in your information and advertising.....

I also agree with Linda Rech regarding recognition and using this as part of your portfolio, and advertising. My opinion? I personally don't care if I get the ribbon or the award money; just knowing that I played an integral part in creating that quilt is good enough! :)

And ugh! :( I have to stand on my #%$#@ soap box (again) and say I get so disappointed when all I hear are the "congrats to the ribbon winners!" Along with that, I think we should also speak up and say "congrats to all who entered quilts!" ---- just getting accepted into a juried show like Paducah is a huge accomplishment in itself, so let's all congratulate EVERYONE who entered. A ribbon and award money is very nice and wonderful, but let's congratulate everyone who entered a quilt; took the time to fill out the entry form, pay the entry fee, pay for shipping their quilt in a box...there is a lot involved with entering a quilt in a show.

Let's all encourage the newbies and other seasoned quilters who might have fears thinking they are not good enough to enter a quilt and never have the chance to win a ribbon and are reluctant to participate. Well, sheesh... it's not all about winning a ribbon. In the big scheme of things, if all we do is talk about the ribbon winners it discourages people from entering quilts because the focus is only on the amazingly beautiful and over-the-top quilts with ribbons... Let's support the "event" and encourage participation by congratulating everyone... (sorry about my rant...OK stepping off my box again) :D

Meg, don't shut up. It's OK. This is a perfectly good topic and healthy discussion!

Shana, I totally agree with you. I think more quilters, especailly beginners, would be more willing to enter their quilts in shows if they felt more welcome and appreciated. I think we should encourage and acknowledge all efforts not just the most talented. I love going to a show and seeing all the beautiful work of talented quilters but I also love to see the work of those who just enjoy the art of quilting and love the process of making a quilt even though it may not be the best in show.

If I work on a show quilt my customer and I discuss the arrangement in advance. Most shows give two ribbons if it is a joint work. If the show doesn't, and the award is for the quilting specifically I get it if not it's theirs. We both get bragging rights either way :) I am very lucky to have amazingly fair customers I guess. Here there is rarely a cash prize, but I only get it if the award is just for the quilting.

Ferret

I'm a little sad, I was looking at the winning quilts on the AQS site and they listed (pic included) the quilt Doodlebug quilted but her name wasn't listed with the lady who entered it. I'm really not sure on how I feel about ribbons and money but truely believe the one who made the quilt "the quilter" should be listed, even if they paid you for the work.:(

While I agree that getting accepted into a quilt show is a huge honor (heck, I'm happy when my customers put my quilts into our local shows), I do believe that having a quilt awarded a ribbon is incredibly special. If everyone gets a ribbon because of their effort and just for getting accepted, where's the challenge? I don't have kids, so maybe this isn't a good analogy, but by telling your kid that everything they do is wonderful when it isn't, you're not preparing them for the real world. Same with quilting. Not every quilter has the same talent. Not every piecer is perfect. You cannot look at a poorly pieced/quilted quilt and say that it is as good as one that is perfectly pieced and quilted. You must earn that award. And if its earned for the quilting, the quilter should get the ribbon.

Shannon, I hope whomever you quilted that quilt for realizes that without your quilting, it wouldn't have a ribbon. But even if she's oblivious to that fact, you know it and deep down, I think she knows it. You won that ribbon.

And, I think all of us should pay attention to how Ferret handles things. If she quilts a show quilt, she has an agreement with the quilter before the quilt is entered. That way, there are no misunderstandings.

Bottom line though...congrats Doodlebug! You deserve the honors!

I'm going to toss in another aspect coming from the podunk level of quilting and local judging. I have put a couple of my quilts in the local fair (not even on the Paducah level) and then see that the acknowledgment goes to those who have done the piecing (some well, some not so well) and then have a pro do the quilting. Major acknowledgments go to those, but the quilts where the piecer is also the quilter, gets very little acknowledgment. I think they need to have separate classes for those. Yes, the pro quilter does deserve quality acknowledgment for the great work they have done on each of the quilts.

Kelley Jones, how come we don't hear from you or Joanne??? missing even short notes.. Hope it's not the reason that was mentioned last time we saw you.

ON THE ribbons, I think the quilter should at the very least, be able to get a quality print or pict of the quilt, with the ribbons prominantly displayed. She could include the piecer, in another, then one with both the piecer and long arm quilter.. showing it off.

Ritar

hey all....thanks for the congrats, but i feel that some loose ends need to be tied up...

i was just as confused as you and just as quick to jump to conclusions.... upon further diggin, the quilt that won the ribbon in paducah -DID NOT- win an award exclusivly for the LAing, it won because it was the third best quilt period in it's catergory...i know, confusing. turns out AQS separates each quilt into a category by what method was used to quilt it (ie DSM, LA, midarm, and hand) and by size (bed, wall, miniature) the quilt took third place in the Bed quilt category that was quilted with a longarm/midarm.

all in all, i am honored to be part of a quilt that (A.) hung in the paducah show and (B.) took a ribbon. jan brought me a show catalog that has color pictures of all the quilts in the show, and let me tell you, there were some drop dead gorgeous quilts...my only regret is not attending (next year :))

but i am in agreement that some show's 'rules and guidelines' need to be tweaked. (speaking for myself with my opinion) i am a 'professional' LAer....i feel what i do to a quilt is just as important as the piecer/appliquer. i put a piece of my soul into every quilt i quilt. i add to the visual graphic impact as well as make a top a quilt. as said above, we all know quilting can make or break a quilt....the only thing i blame on the shows is that they don't explain the 'rules' better...or if they do it's hard to find on websites. my papaw always said, "if you're ashamed to tell somebody something you did, then you shouldn't do it to begin with." a little effort into entrant education would do a world of good for the national show's publicity.

i also think that in the next few years there will be a trickle down effect. with all the shows following AQS's precedent and doing away with two person/quilt for hire categories that the number of entrees will decrease. not so much the quality, just numbers. (i still hate the phrase "quilt for hire" makes me feel like i need a red light in my studio)

i don't think that rookies should be scared to enter national shows, i encourage it. everyone's learning curve is different, and we all are at difference experience levels... how else does one improve their LAing? we are in our studios doing our own thing, and without someone telling us what areas we could improve in, we'd never know (we constantly 'suggest' to our clients how they can improve their piecing) so i'm all for healthy competition and constructive criticism.

so that's my opinion in a nutshell, i know that the whole 'quilt show and ribbon awarding' discussion can get heated easily as we all have passionate opinions.

....i'm gonna go quilt now :) after all, that's what i live to do....

We have had many of our quilts win but have never received a ribbon or anything for them, and that's really OK with me. I usually find out after the fact because we rarely go to quilt shows. (too crowded for me). The ones that frost me are the quilts we know we quilted are listed under the owners name as pieced and quilted by the owner. No mention of us at all.

Originally posted by lyonden

The ones that frost me are the quilts we know we quilted are listed under the owners name as pieced and quilted by the owner. No mention of us at all.

This practice (as we all know) is illegal and sooo unethical. But if the owner of the quilt is not honest when she fills out the form, there is no way for the organization to know. They are depending on the integrity of the entrant. Maybe there should be something on the entry form about rescinding any awards if the info is not correct. I know, perfect world and all that!;) Maybe we DO need Quilt Police!!:P