Faux trapunto...your favorite method?

Ferret

I, too, considered double wool but didn't know if it would be too much. I also have some 16 oz Airtex poly batting that Karen McTavish uses with her trapunto, but didn't know if it would be too heavy for this method. Plus, I am not really wild about polyester batting, I just prefer cottons, mostly cottons and wool.

Cheryl - Not Ferret here but if you plan to hang this quilt I think you would be better to add in a cotton rather than 2 wool. Wool can sag over time when hung and the cotton would give the quilt some extra body. Just depends what you want to use it for. I think the 16 oz would be too puffy for a full quilt. I am always surprised at people who don't want to use poly but thats just me. I've used it for years and never had a problem with it.

Linda - no there isn't!!!!!

Heidi,

Interesting thought on the wool batt sagging over time. I am setting up my top for quilting and was planning on using two wool batts. The feathering is not large and it is only 40" x 40" finished. I think I will try 2 layers of wool on this first one. On the second one, I'll try cotton and wool. Then maybe poly and wool on the 3rd one.

Regarding polyester batts...it is just personal preference for me. I have never really been a fan of polyester, but I do realize there is a time and place that it is the best. I have worked with poly batts when my customers sent them with their quilts and they work great.

Cheryl,

I think batts are very much a personal thing and you should use what you love, then you will always be happy. I have used poly batts for a long time and I've never had a problem with them. I actually prefer the snuggle of it over some of the cotton quilts. I can not stand warm and natural but I know there are plenty that love it. To me it is like laying a stiff board over me. My absolute favorite is wool! 2nd Favorite is dream puff and then dream poly. Each has their place. I really liked how my latest quilt hangs. That one I used dream poly delux with wool on top. I also used dream puff for the trapunto areas. I got to use all my favorites in one quilt! LOL I wouldn't do that for most quilts.

I always consider what I want to do with the finished product. A wall hanging responds very well to something stiff and firm on the bottom, and puffy on top. A firm, stiff batting will give great support and not sag so much over time - although personally I wouldn't like it in a bed quilt.

My first choice for a wall quilt is W&N with wool on top, and second is 80/20 on bottom, and wool on top. Either wool can be replaced by a nice puffy poly - which also works very well to add the puff.

At least so far, this is what has worked for me. As someone else said, it's all personal choice ;)

I really appreciate all the input. I started the first quilt with two wool batts. I am going to rip it out and change to a cotton and wool. I think the feathers are not large enough for the two wool batts. I am not liking what the results. So I am off to frog the small area I have quilted.:o:o

I loved the result I got with dream cotton and wool on top. I also tried two layers of wool but only once. It looked great and took the dense quilting well.

Can't wait to see what you do Cheryl. I will try the dream poly with wool on the next one. I love Quilters Dream battings. Not a fan of Warm and Natural unless it is ETE and not dense.

Hugs

Grammie Tammie

Archived