Sign in to follow this  
fineseams

bobbin thread cutter - good or bad?

My reconditioned Ultimate I has finally arrived, and has been assembled and is ready to use. When I bought the machine, I didn't ask for a thread cutter, and wasn't told that the machine had one. But when it arrived, I discovered that it did indeed have a thread cutter.

I'm wondering whether this really is a useful feature, or whether to remove it now? I'm used to bringing the bobbin thread to the top and clipping or burying it when I quilt on my DSM, so I'm not sure why I'd use the one on the Ult I. I've seen posts from several of you indicating that you have removed your thread cutter. If you have one and use it, how do you deal with the little remaining tails? If you have one and have removed it, why? Wouldn't it be easier to just not use it in case there was some future time when you WOULD want it?

The reason I'd like to decide soon is that I ordered a Hartley Base Expander (for a machine without thread cutter). If I keep the thread cutter, I'll have to return the base and replace it with one that is made to work with the thread cutter. If the thread cutter is a liability, I'll just take it off now and keep the base that has just arrived.

As usual, your excellent advice it appreciated.

Thanks.

Bonnie

(and Amazing Grace)

I love my thread cutter. It's a great tool and I will never remove it! :)

I cut the thread and give a gentle pull and the loop of the bobbin thread comes right to the top. I then tie and bury.

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

I like it because I don't have to put the base extender on if I'm using a very short ruler - it creates enough extra flat space that I can use the ruler on the left side.

A negative is that it hits the clamps if the backing is a little tight.

I don't like to go back and clip all my threads on the back, so I tend to not use it as a thread cutter - I bring my bobbin thread to the top and clip it. I use it for the cutting the basting threads.

I rent, and my renters all like using it.

All in all, I'm planning on keeping it.

Julia

Julia Graves

Special Occasion Quilts, LLC

Leesburg Virginia

240-472-1763

http://soquilts.com

juliagraves82@gmail.com

If you have never used one, you won't miss it.

A recent post considered this question and I believe Dawn said if you do remove it, keep it in a safe place to re-attach if/when you decide to sell your machine.

(psst--I use mine all the time. Especially off the edges. Why bring the thread up if you can just cut it underneath?)

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com